Thread: Winblows 8 Expected to Fail Miserably

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gold Member

Re: Winblows 8 Expected to Fail Miserably

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    That's what they say but when retail & corp. customers start raising hell M$ will have no choice but to release Win7 SP2. Look at WinXP. It is still listed in the lifecycle list as supported. It was originally slated to end like 5 years ago or more. BTW, today marks the 11th anniversary of the first release of WinXP.

A company where I used to work and who considered themselves "cutting edge" finally allowed employees to upgrade from Windows 2000 to Win XP in 2010. Then again, they declared bankruptcy this past summer. :-)
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

The Mayans may freeze over, but with how cheap it is, I may actually buy Win8. Whether I install it or not will remain to be seen.
    6r39 7r199

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    The Mayans may freeze over, but with how cheap it is, I may actually buy Win8. Whether I install it or not will remain to be seen.
    I think the only thing that would sway me towards Win 8 would be if there's a significant increase in processing speed due to it supposedly being "lighter". Key word being "significant". Otherwise i'll just run Win7 for the next 11 years like the hardcore XP users

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    I think the only thing that would sway me towards Win 8 would be if there's a significant increase in processing speed due to it supposedly being "lighter". Key word being "significant". Otherwise i'll just run Win7 for the next 11 years like the hardcore XP users
    Ditto here. What I'm really waiting for is when the gaming coders fully embrace Linux. Even if they were to use the Steam distribution model. It would be cool to play Doom4 or UT 20xx on Linux. The real stumbling block is a Linux replacement for DirectX......

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Well, I changed my mind. I went to Microsoft's page to take the $39.99 deal to download, but I can't get past their Windows only download program. They obviously have no intention of winning Linux users back or they assume there's nobody out there without a Windows install. I'm not paying an extra $30 for the DVD. I'm not going to install Windows just so I can download another Windows.

I tried using Wine to download it, but that didn't work. Oh well. I saved $40.
    6r39 7r199