Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
Also, the SETI Beta server has been upgraded to "know" intel GPUs, and they added the intel GPU to the preferences page. Why are those two different actions required by the admin? Anyway, if you want to run astropulse there, with your intel HD 4000 or better, go for it.
Because there was no real design when coprocessors were implemented because it was assumed that NVidia would be the only one. Anything added later was really a hack. In fact, even the NVidia code is a hack if you ask me. The data, what little there is, is stored in the "serialnum" field of the database of the server. Half the data isn't stored at all but is sent over and over again with each work request which more than doubles the amount of data sent and received. Stupid. GPUs are synonomous with serial numbers, right? Not in my universe. Anyway, not only does the admin need to change the code in the sched_customize.cpp so it will send work, he also needs to change the project include files so the php code can set the GPU preferences. Why? Because the preferences aren't in their own table. They also are ALL stored in a single database variable as an XMLish string.

I don't know how a certain someone, who has a PhD in IT, can approve such a design unless he flunked his database design class as an undergrad. When I used to teach database design at Triton Community College, I can tell you that any design which stored multiple data points in a single database field got the student an F on the assignment since that is just being lazy.