Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sargies Tower upgrade

Past Administrator

Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge104 View Post
    Appreciate the info, the akasa looks like it is worth looking into for my 120mm slots. Probably have to wait after the holiday is over, the g/f seems intent to invite most the family over so need to stock up on the essentials...heheh.
    Kool. One reason I like the Akasa Viper series is that they can push a ton of air at decent sound levels. So if your MB has proper fan speed management, you can dial down the Viper's RPM to "average fan" levels, where it will generate less then "average fan" noise levels.

Side Note: I do not recommend using any high end fan on Corsair AIO coolers having integrated fan controllers. From personal experience, if the controller goes bad, it will take the fans with it. Lost 2 Viper 140s that way...

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Side Note: I do not recommend using any high end fan on Corsair AIO coolers having integrated fan controllers. From personal experience, if the controller goes bad, it will take the fans with it. Lost 2 Viper 140s that way...
    The exhaust fans will be hooked up to the mother board, I've got an independent fan controller I can use in a pinch. Thanks for the warning about the fan controller though, I was intending to hook the 140s to my H100i....oops.
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

So I've been having errors recently with my Astroid WU's, doing a bit of investigating I found that my CPU power was too low and bumped it up a bit(1.5v which the computer has leeway to take down to 1.42v) to solve the issue. My digging also found that my North Bridge power is set very low (1.1v I believe, can't remember now), I bumped it to the yellow (1.3v) to help with communication between the chip and memory. My question is there anything North Bridge related I should look at to help improve stability.
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

Scored some 2k RPM fans for the case and am in the process of getting them situated for ideal air flow. Currently the H100I is at the top of the case with one of the fans blowing in from the top of the back panel. I was under the belief that this would set up a circulating motion where the second fan at the lower front of the case would provide enough force to get the air to flow around the TITAN where the third fan is blowing in from the side of the case to mix cold air with the air from up top. The fourth and final fan is on the rear exhausting any extra the TITAN does not pick up and keeping air flowing over the power supply.

Hopefully any who have managed to read through that have a clear idea of what is supposed to be going on. My problem is there seems to still be a dead spot of air that is causing the CPU temperature to climb. With my old fan set up I had one less and the only difference was I believe the top rear fan and the side fan where exhausting air, instead of both providing positive pressure. I can turn both around but I'm still not sure why I'm jumping almost 10-14C pumping cool air into the case?

I'm under the impression that with the only exhaust being in the lower back it is causing heat to feed back to the upper back fan. I've provided nearly 2 feet of clearance between the tower and the wall so the exhausted air should be shoved far enough away to prevent this. If anyone can offer some advice on a more effective set up I would appreciate it.

Future upgrades still involve two 140mm fans for the top to help the H100I do its job.
    Chad Kroeger

Past Administrator

I may be wrong but it sounds like you have negative case pressure, somehow you have more air leaving the case then entering.

The way I maintain positive pressure:
    A) All intake fans have higher CFM rating then exhaust fans, or total intake CFM is 15%~25% higher then total exhaust CFM.
    B) When using fan speed controller, Like SpeedFan, intake fans are set to a higher idle and top speed then exhaust fans.
    C) Minimize the number of exhaust fans and use ventilated expansion slot cover plates (Like These) to help maintain good air flow. These slot covers will promote airflow across any GPUs in the case.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

I may be wrong but it sounds like you have negative case pressure, somehow you have more air leaving the case then entering.
    This is where I was confused as well. The H100I's two fans, and three of the other 120mm are all set to full bore blow into the case. Only one 120mm fan on the lower bottom is exhaust (Plus the TITAN, which is not in use ATM...Crime against humanity, I know, I know ) . I figured with all those fans blowing cold air in it would be a snap to keep temperatures down. All of the Fans are PWM controlled, the H100I with its software and the 120mm's are BIOS controlled, so I could just down clock that exhaust fan and see what happens.
    Chad Kroeger

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge104 View Post
    This is where I was confused as well. The H100I's two fans, and three of the other 120mm are all set to full bore blow into the case. Only one 120mm fan on the lower bottom is exhaust (Plus the TITAN, which is not in use ATM...Crime against humanity, I know, I know ) . I figured with all those fans blowing cold air in it would be a snap to keep temperatures down. All of the Fans are PWM controlled, the H100I with its software and the 120mm's are BIOS controlled, so I could just down clock that exhaust fan and see what happens.
    I see. For all my water cooled boxes (custom or AIO) I always have the radiator fans exhausting air. I never use them for intake.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

I see. For all my water cooled boxes (custom or AIO) I always have the radiator fans exhausting air. I never use them for intake.
    The TITAN runs very warm and I was concerned that the heat rising from that would compromise the top mounted radiator. With the FX-8350 running warm already I don't want to compound the problem when both are active..
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

Just to be clear on what temps I'm expecting from what is going on. On idle the 8350 is normally 15-20C even when overclocked. The chip is currently overclocked to 4.8ghz and I normally see temps within 45-50C(old fan set up). The temps currently are 55-58C. I've got the H100I software set to cut the power after 60C due to the fact I'm not too trusting of the sensors in the first place and want a safe shut down rather then a class charlie fire shut down.

I realize that with warmer temps I would see a rise but I've been keeping the house temp down to 62F as its been all winter and I have made sure to keep the sun-ward window shaded as well to keep that from being an issue.
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

I've been contemplating repositioning my h100 radiator fans as pull rather than push. I don't have the room for push and pull though, do you or anyone else have personal experience with seeing better performance in the h100 series in pull than push?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast