Thread: What did *you* upgrade today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Platinum Member

Re: What did *you* upgrade today?

By "fuses" i meant "breakers" And i know i have to upgrade the wire guage. However i may not rewire what's already there, but instead add some additional dedicated circuits that are 20A. I know the rating of the box can be far less than the total of all breakers. Not everything is in use at once. I actually have the majority of my lights on a single 15A circuit which is fine since most of my bulbs are LED anyway. Waiting for the rest of the flourescents to burn out I'm also aware the outlets themselves need to be rated for 20A. They're like $3 at Home Depot But i've about hit the limit on what i can draw, and since i'm a cruncher, of course everything is always running when the oven is on, the dryer is on and the central air kicks on all the same time :/

Gold Member

Re: What did *you* upgrade today?

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    By "fuses" i meant "breakers" And i know i have to upgrade the wire guage. However i may not rewire what's already there, but instead add some additional dedicated circuits that are 20A. I know the rating of the box can be far less than the total of all breakers. Not everything is in use at once. I actually have the majority of my lights on a single 15A circuit which is fine since most of my bulbs are LED anyway. Waiting for the rest of the flourescents to burn out I'm also aware the outlets themselves need to be rated for 20A. They're like $3 at Home Depot But i've about hit the limit on what i can draw, and since i'm a cruncher, of course everything is always running when the oven is on, the dryer is on and the central air kicks on all the same time :/
    In 2010 I upgraded my electrical service & panel from an actual "fusebox" to a 200A 40 circuit panel. I also had the electrician install a 50A sub-panel in the attic so I could easily run new circuits from there. All together it was about $1400, but a good investment which has made renovation/upgrade projects since then much easier.

JPM, the guy I used is in Bartlett so I don't know if it would make sense for you to use him... but you could call him and get a ballbark price for what you want. Billy Wallace 901-373-3107

Oh, and I think Mumps is right - for 200A service we had to replace conductors from the weatherhead all the way to the service panel, including a new socket.