Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: What did *you* upgrade today?

Silver Member

Re: What did *you* upgrade today?

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    1200W pulling 665W is more efficient. If you dropped to a 750W PSU, you would pull more than 665W from the wall to power everything.
    That's what I was thinking. I know we had this discussion when I found out my 700w was 50w to low to power the gtx 580 by itself. Recommended was 860w. Figuring in the hd 5850, it went up to 1000w. The only reason I wound up with the 1300w was that it was on sale on newegg for 129 and was less than the 1200w. I really can't complain about it. It powers just about everything under the sun including 2 monarchs with my 1150 at the same time. I haven't really looked at the numbers that the nvidia cards are pulling now. I do know, it will be getting one just to have a balanced system. Something that is at least Compute 4.x or better. I'm guessing the Evga P55 sli pulls quite a bit of power. I tried plugging in a 460, Board went dead. Put my hd 5770 back in it....booted, ran at full load, rebooted and changed the core v by one click. Board went dead. Until the psu is resolved, I'll be walking a tightrope for at least until January,.

Silver Member

Well I've had a new unused Antec Kuhler H2O 650 sitting on my desk for almost a year now. It was suppose to go onto the 7970 but I never got around to it considering the shim, install and possible leakage worries.

Yesterday I noticed CPU temps on the 3770k almost hitting 80c, without even hitting 75% utilization, 2-3 CPU WUs + GPU. I noticed the cooler, which was already installed when I bought the machine, wasn't actually secured that well. It's a monster of a cooler, a tunic tower 120 extreme, and the attaching hardware is difficult to get to and apply decent torque without specialized tools. After removing the cooler I can see a less than desired thermal compound application, tons on one side and what looked to be a dry spot as if it was never in contact.

In goes the h2o 650, many of you have installed these AIO liquid coolers, their install can be a pain. Setting up the brackets for the 1155 I go to install the first cold plate mounting screw and a little dribble of luiqid just walks out of the cold plate head and onto the mobo...WTF?!?!? It came out as I was trying to install that first screw which was a tough angle to get by the hoses. The hoses attach to the pump head at 90deg fittings that can swivel. I imagine I put too much pressure on the fitting trying to get the screw lined up. No more fluid came out, it didn't exactly feel like water but it also didn't have a smell. I dried up the fluid continued the install of just the cold plate, removed all ram but 1 stick, removed 7970. I layed the rig with the motherboard face down over a few sheets of newspaper to detect leaks and with the radiator/fan/pump positioned outside the case sitting on the desk. I turned the rig on and it beeped at me for ram or gpu missing, so now its sitting there going on about 1 hour just to verify no leaks and break it in hopefully. I believe FourOh had a bad experience with an AIO was it a Kuhler?

Leak came from this area
    kuhler leak.jpg
    Last edited by MindCrime; 10-20-16 at 08:26 PM.

Silver Member

I upgraded from this:

To this:

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Silver Member

What do you think of the Polaris vs the Harley quality?

Silver Member

Time will tell. So far so good. The workmanship looks excellent. I've read where there have been some issues with their chrome plating not wearing well but I'm not really concerned about that. It will be garage kept and covered. I can say that the Indian is way more comfortable to ride for me. It also handles much better which is huge because I'm a small guy. I find it's also better ergonomically designed for the driver and rider IMHO. All that being said my Harley was a 2004 and things have come a long way since then. I did test ride a couple of the 2017 Harley's and was not impressed enough to buy one. One ride on the Indian was enough. One of my favorite things about the Indian is that the entire tour package can be removed by 1 person in about 30 seconds. It takes about 2 minutes if you have the anti-theft hooked up. The trunk and both bags lock with the key fob. I spent some extra money for a 5 year unlimited mileage front to back warranty which covers everything except normal wear stuff so I'm set to go 'till then.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    Time will tell. So far so good. The workmanship looks excellent. I've read where there have been some issues with their chrome plating not wearing well but I'm not really concerned about that. It will be garage kept and covered. I can say that the Indian is way more comfortable to ride for me. It also handles much better which is huge because I'm a small guy. I find it's also better ergonomically designed for the driver and rider IMHO. All that being said my Harley was a 2004 and things have come a long way since then. I did test ride a couple of the 2017 Harley's and was not impressed enough to buy one. One ride on the Indian was enough. One of my favorite things about the Indian is that the entire tour package can be removed by 1 person in about 30 seconds. It takes about 2 minutes if you have the anti-theft hooked up. The trunk and both bags lock with the key fob. I spent some extra money for a 5 year unlimited mileage front to back warranty which covers everything except normal wear stuff so I'm set to go 'till then.
    I was never a big fan of harley's lack of forward engineering and I think your test ride speaks to that. Glad you got something you like with peace of mind.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Okay, I tweaked Kodi a bit today for the movies I've started to add to the box. And as requested, a pic....

So, have you made it to Kodi 17.1 and Exodus yet? I just bought a ChromeCast 2 over the weekend and finally decided to install the Kodi Android App on my tablet. Happy Camper is a good way to put it.

Diamond Member

My favorite anime of all time. I own the DVDs. Best intro EVER!

Edit: Oh yeah, that's right. I posted this video in the music thread TWICE.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    So, have you made it to Kodi 17.1 and Exodus yet? I just bought a ChromeCast 2 over the weekend and finally decided to install the Kodi Android App on my tablet. Happy Camper is a good way to put it.
    Actually.... no. I've sorta taken a break from Kodi as it can be temperamental with the recent changes. I'll give it another go when it has matured a little more.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617