Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: baddest build...6k budget

Platinum Member

Re: baddest build...6k budget

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Hate to bump this thread, but i'd just like to say i got my ass handed to me lol

We were discussing the amount of memory needed in a system to comfortably run pretty much any project you wanted, with no limitations. I personally have a quad core with 8GB RAM. And it crashed. Why? Only 2 cores were running the tiny little Renderfarm project, which demanded 4.2GB from each core at the same time. Unfortunately, i allowed BOINC to use 90% of RAM, even while the computer was in use. This combo didn't work too well I've since dropped it down to 70%.

Looks like if you want to be able to crunch any and all projects at will, you'll need to go with 6GB RAM/core. 32GB on a 6 core would most likely work as well.
    Yeah - I have since disabled ORE from running on my home machine. After crashing that hard, I'm done with it for the time being. This is a new issue, though...

Silver Member

Where would one find the ram requirements for the projects?
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Quote Originally Posted by Dandasarge View Post
    Right now there is a sweet spot for RAM on projects...

It is dictated not by what each cpu core can handle...

Instead it is the simple fact that 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM comes in either 2Gb or 4Gb chips. The 4Gb chips cost over $70 a piece while 2Gb chips cost just $30, or less.

You should buy 1600Mhz DDR3 because newer generations of cpus from Intel and AMD will support these speeds. The memory can be reused in multiple machines as a result or even sold two years from now due to its broad compatibility.

I am running into this problem with my AMD G34 that has 16 memory slots... trust me, my wallet cannot handle $70 x 16 and still buy a nice NVIDIA GTX 590!
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Platinum Member

Check out the WUProp results page for the RAM requirements by project and subproject and OS...

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Check out the WUProp results page for the RAM requirements by project and subproject and OS...

Thats the most useful thing you have ever posted!
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Platinum Member

Thats the most useful thing you have ever posted!
    Thanks? Not sure if that's a compliment or insult...

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Thanks? Not sure if that's a compliment or insult...
    one out of 1200 useful? take it any way you want

no there has been a lot of useful stuff, this one is just the "most" useful.

Platinum Member

one out of 1200 useful? take it any way you want

no there has been a lot of useful stuff, this one is just the "most" useful.
    Seems those memory reults are an average, meaning it could take more, or less, depending on which WU you're handed. ORE is stating about 2GB/core average. I'll agree with that since it was until 2 days ago i began having memory problems. Also, BURP is listed as 5GB across all cores, but Zombie67 knows it can be far more than this. Just keep an eye on things

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Seems those memory reults are an average, meaning it could take more, or less, depending on which WU you're handed. ORE is stating about 2GB/core average. I'll agree with that since it was until 2 days ago i began having memory problems. Also, BURP is listed as 5GB across all cores, but Zombie67 knows it can be far more than this. Just keep an eye on things
    I believe that to be true, 1gb per core will do 75% of the projects, 2gb per core will do 95% of the projects. that last 5% will basically use all your MB can use and in some cases more then possible. If someone has 6gb per core more power to them but my recommendation is 2gb per core. You can't run BURP then you cant run BURP but dose the BURP credit justify the extra $150 per core? that's 500k credits a day on PG in video card or 400k a day on milkyway.

Past Administrator

My men...

...I don't seem to understand the concern over RAM these days. Can anyone show me a project that actually delivers GOOD CREDIT that needs so much? Like I said, I've got one rig with 8GB and one with 4GB, both DDR3 1600 O/Ced, and there hasn't been a lick of difference...

...and I think this point of view is relevant, because who really wants to run a crap paying project, and therefore let SIC kick our behinds that much faster anyway?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast