Thread: HD 5970 Clusterfrak

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Philadelphia

Re: HD 5970 Clusterfrak

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    No that isn't pushing at all. Definitely good to 950 day in and day out.

I would strongly suggest dropping your memory clock down to 425 MHz and it will probably drop your temperature 5C or better. Collatz is the only project that high memory speed helps and since it uses single precision math the temperature doesn't rise with the increased memory clocks.
    Hmmmm, tried to move the slider on the memory clocks, and the lowest it would go was 1000. Another way to do it?

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    Hmmmm, tried to move the slider on the memory clocks, and the lowest it would go was 1000. Another way to do it?
    It should go much lower. Try the following....

Reboot into safe made (by tapping F8 key towards the end of POST test, before the Windows Logo appears) and log in. This will reset all Windows boot cache settings.

Reboot and log in. Shut down BOINC Manager. If you are using 3rd party OC utility like Afterburner shut it down also. Now try adjusting Mem clock.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

Ordered ac XFX HD 6990 so I can compare the 5970 & 6990 against each other, picked it up for $650 so I got a little off the Regular price anyway. If it seems better I'll sell one of the 5970's to cover some of the cost ...

The second 5970 that was giving me trouble or at least not running as good as the 1'st one seems to have settled down. I'm getting a lot of the MOO Wu's to finish under 14 Min's or a little over 15 Min's anyway running @ 825 Core & 1.075 Volts. Maybe it had to just burn in some ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-07-11 at 03:04 PM.

Past Administrator

Wow, that is awesome! From what Bryan says, they are the bomb. You know, I've been thinking about the issues with the 5970, and I suppose the 5970 was not meant to be used as a cruncher 24/7, they probably thought people would just game on it for a few hours, and shut it off, or at least it would do a lot of idling, etc. So it sounds like they took a lot of the criticisms and made things right with the 6990.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    Ordered ac XFX HD 6990 so I can compare the 5970 & 6990 against each other, picked it up for $650 so I got a little off the Regular price anyway. If it seems better I'll sell one of the 5970's to cover some of the cost ...

The second 5970 that was giving me trouble or at least not running as good as the 1'st one seems to have settled down. I'm getting a lot of the MOO Wu's to finish under 14 Min's or a little over 15 Min's anyway running @ 825 Core & 1.075 Volts. Maybe it had to just burn in some ...

That's good news.

Friend of SETI.USA

Hard to say really, it's all over the place, up down 1 GPU Core Idle then both running ... It was okay until I changed to 3 CPU Cores running then back to 4 running again ...

Past Administrator

Huh. Something is definitely not right. That's what it looks like on Kat's rig with the crossfired 4870s if I don't reserve 2 cores. Try dropping CPU cores in BOINC until the GPU % utilization is pegged at 99% solid on both of them. Then look at your times. If the times go down like they should, then it is not a GPU problem, but something that is bottlenecking the GPUs.

Friend of SETI.USA

Don't know what happened but the problem 5970 that had been running the MOO Wu's in the 14-15 Min Range for the last 2+ Days now has gone back to the 18-19 Min Range again. Probably must be something to do with changing the CPU Usage to 3 & then back to 4 again, still ran the Wu's in the 14-15 Min Range running 3 CPU's but now that I've gone back to 4 CPU usage the Wu's are taking 3-4 Min's longer ... :/ ... Will change back to 3 CPU's if the times don't come down soon & see what happens ...

Past Administrator

What % GPU utilization is it showing for each GPU in Afterburner? Try with 3 CPU and then with 4 and see if it makes a difference in the loading. If the GPU is still running at the same clock speed, then the difference in completion times should just be a factor of loading percentage. Obviously as cruncher we want the highest % loading possible, which seems to be 99% on the GPUs.