Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Intel ES Xeons

Diamond Member

Re: Intel ES Xeons

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Just think about how much you would save though! Going to 56 threads in a single box for 200 Watts? Easy choice where cost of power comes in to play.
    You are an evil, evil man.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

I went for a 12 core E5-2670 v3. I look forward to having TWO X99 systems to babysit constantly
    Last edited by FourOh; 04-04-16 at 02:11 PM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    These chips have dual memory controllers so I doubt there would be any bottleneck, especially in a 2P setup. I ran SRBase and never noticed any issues. I'm currently running 28 CEP2 beta tasks at WCG which are highly memory and HDD intensive. They're all running @ 99+% efficiency. I'll post a screen shot if anyone might be interested.
    Trust me, I've been crunching for Prime numbers for more than 15 years. Please make a test running this number 5*2^5000000-1, starting with one core and increasing LLR instances until you reach 28 instances. Check LLR speed decrease as you increase the number of instances. For more you can read at mersenneoforum.org.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    Trust me, I've been crunching for Prime numbers for more than 15 years. Please make a test running this number 5*2^5000000-1, starting with one core and increasing LLR instances until you reach 28 instances. Check LLR speed decrease as you increase the number of instances. For more you can read at mersenneoforum.org.
    TBH I haven't run any LLR for a very long and I'm too tied up with other projects to do it now. At some time in the future I'll try LLR on these and see what happens then post back what I find. I think one of us will be surprised.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Diamond Member

Weeee!

"Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Weeee!

Silver Member

Weeee!

Thanks a lot for giving us wee ones a complex. I see mine needs the dust knocked out again already.

Platinum Member

Hmmm. Only 64 Gig? You needs moah RAM now!

Past Admin

Weeee!

I am sooooooo envious. Does that make me a bad person?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    I've ended up with an extra 2011-3 X99 motherboard which, after I carefully repair a bent pin, should be fully functional. I don't have room in my fleet for another tower, but I could replace one of my Dell T5500s. I was looking on ebay and there are "ES" Xeons being sold, way cheap. These Engineering Samples are not meant to be sold and technically are property of Intel. The sellers are in Japan, and have very good seller ratings. Other than no warranty and possible felony charges, any down side to these chips? This E5-2658 v3 retails for $1700+... and the ES chip is going for about $300 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151989476551
    On the engineering samples. Of the 5 or so CPUs I've seen or been in possession of that were bought from the employee program/store they all said intel confidential on them. Their usually early process runs that were run in RnD fab and not a high volume. After engineering checks the batch out and they move onto their next project, they sell them at the employee store at a ridiculously good price, or you can get like 1 free per year.. maybe.

I believe Tankmaster is a blue badge, he could probably check on your legal status of owning one. but I'm quite certain intel is okay with it unless it's a model that's not for sale, then maybe you could be in trouble. If JP is correct the seller on ebay is the bad boy, you're just an unknowing customer that thinks he's getting a great deal on a super duper chip from overseas.
    Last edited by MindCrime; 03-22-16 at 02:39 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast