Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Boinc + Linux + GPU = pain

Past Administrator

Re: Boinc + Linux + GPU = pain

I am nowhere near the level of guys like trigggl & Slicker, but I think I can answer your question.

Ubuntu - Easy to install, has a lot of features and good online support. But because it has a lot of "stuff" it is also FAT.

Gentoo - Very fast, lean and highly configurable. In order to do this Gentoo has to be compiled from source code, built from scratch so to speak. You have to "tell" Gentoo what you want it to be. This requires knowledge, effort and time. Gentoo also has good online support but it is geared more towards knowledgeable users.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Thanks F$ that is enough for me. I would like to know if there is any Forum or site that I could go in order to learn all those stuff or that must be done by ourselves.

Duke

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    Thanks F$ that is enough for me. I would like to know if there is any Forum or site that I could go in order to learn all those stuff or that must be done by ourselves.

Duke
    Sure thing.

Official Ubuntu forum ---> (English) http://ubuntuforums.org/ --- (Spanish) http://www.ubuntu.com/support/commun...nguage#spanish

Gentoo Forum ---> (English) http://forums.gentoo.org/ --- (Spanish) http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-30.html

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Past Administrator

Well in a moment of frustration I scraped the Ubuntu install and went to WinXP Pro *yuck*. The pissy part is I had the exact same problem with XP as I did with Ubuntu. Then I remembered that I have always had a problem with my 4850s using the newer Catalyst drivers above 10.10. Sure enough when I rolled back to 10.10 w/o OpenCL my problem vanished. Since I was using 11.11 with the Ubuntu install I believe this was the problem. I will have to hunt down the 10.10 version of the Linux driver and give it a shot at some point.

Anyhow, trigggl thanks for the help. I have learned a few new things so it was worth the experience.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

krackedpress

What do you need to do to get the GPU projects to run on Ubuntu 10.04? From the graph, you can see the projects I run/ran. I know Collatz needs something, but I had to wipe my system many months ago and had to reinstall everything, except the data. I use to have a GeForce 220 or was it a 210 GPU that died within a few months. Then I had over a year of CPU only crunching. I need to get the GPU crunching again.

I was given a 9500 GPU card - slow but only one I currently have. Einstein tells me it has to wait for the GPU. All of the other projects I have tried does not give me any work. So What do I need to do to get the WUs and do I need to download anything else and install it? I want to do some GPU, even if it is slow. 4 cores working plus 1 GPU makes 5 WUs crunching instead of 4, even if the GPU is about the same speed as the cores.

Has anyone tried a Radeon HD 5550 1GB card? Newegg.com has a VisionTek for $60 plus shipping. It has 320 streams. The next one on the list for 320 streams is the same price, but it is after a large rebate.

Right now I have to pay a large Vet bill for my cat, but I still hope to buy a GPU card for my quad core Ubuntu 10.04 system.

So is there any help for my system? Or is is just a waste of time?
    Please let me know.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by krackedpress View Post
    I was given a 9500 GPU card - slow but only one I currently have. Einstein tells me it has to wait for the GPU. All of the other projects I have tried does not give me any work. So What do I need to do to get the WUs and do I need to download anything else and install it? I want to do some GPU, even if it is slow. 4 cores working plus 1 GPU makes 5 WUs crunching instead of 4, even if the GPU is about the same speed as the cores.

Has anyone tried a Radeon HD 5550 1GB card? Newegg.com has a VisionTek for $60 plus shipping. It has 320 streams. The next one on the list for 320 streams is the same price, but it is after a large rebate.
    How much memory does the 9500 have? You should be able to run Moo! on it. I would think PG PPS Sieve would also work on it. Are you in the 'video' group? Does boinc tell you that your card is detected? Have you rebooted after installing the cuda driver?

I haven't run a Radeon card on Ubuntu, but I had to do some weird hacks to use mine on Gentoo.

Are you running 64-bit? Some projects might not have a 32-bit linux cuda app.
    6r39 7r199

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    How much memory does the 9500 have? You should be able to run Moo! on it. I would think PG PPS Sieve would also work on it. Are you in the 'video' group? Does boinc tell you that your card is detected? Have you rebooted after installing the cuda driver?

I haven't run a Radeon card on Ubuntu, but I had to do some weird hacks to use mine on Gentoo.

Are you running 64-bit? Some projects might not have a 32-bit linux cuda app.
    I have the latest driver from the Ubuntu 10.04 repository. My MoB graphics was nVidia so it is using the same drivers. As for CUDA drivers, is there a different one than the one in the repository? I have the latest one installed that I can install with the repository.

The BOINC system states "No Usable GPU found" instead of "no GPU found" when I did not have the 9500 installed.

driver - 195.36.24
    memory - 1024 MB
    CUDA cores - 32

I run Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit on a quad core AMD Phenom 9650 @ 2.30 GHz.

Video Group? do not know what you are talking about.

edit:
    I was once told that ATI cards gave you more GPU power per $$$ than CUDA cards did. So I was wondering about how each card stacks up to the others. I use to have a chart that ranked some of the cards from fall of 2009. I cannot find it any more, but the 5000 series were not out then either. So it would not have been on the charts. I want some to see some chart that compares the work done by each card so you can see how each one does and then add the current costs to the graph for each card that is currently available for purchase. That way people who want to get into GPU processing will know that this $50 card does more work than this $75 card, so they do not spend more money than they need to.
    Last edited by krackedpress; 01-05-12 at 10:34 AM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by krackedpress View Post
    I have the latest driver from the Ubuntu 10.04 repository. My MoB graphics was nVidia so it is using the same drivers. As for CUDA drivers, is there a different one than the one in the repository? I have the latest one installed that I can install with the repository.

The BOINC system states "No Usable GPU found" instead of "no GPU found" when I did not have the 9500 installed.

driver - 195.36.24
    memory - 1024 MB
    CUDA cores - 32

I run Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit on a quad core AMD Phenom 9650 @ 2.30 GHz.

Video Group? do not know what you are talking about.

edit:
    I was once told that ATI cards gave you more GPU power per $$$ than CUDA cards did. So I was wondering about how each card stacks up to the others. I use to have a chart that ranked some of the cards from fall of 2009. I cannot find it any more, but the 5000 series were not out then either. So it would not have been on the charts. I want some to see some chart that compares the work done by each card so you can see how each one does and then add the current costs to the graph for each card that is currently available for purchase. That way people who want to get into GPU processing will know that this $50 card does more work than this $75 card, so they do not spend more money than they need to.
    In the file /etc/groups there will be a line 'video'. Make sure 'boinc' is on that line.
    6r39 7r199

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    In the file /etc/groups there will be a line 'video'. Make sure 'boinc' is on that line.
    boinc:123:
    is shown in that file, but NO video line

below is the message at the start up of BIONC.
    Wed 04 Jan 2012 03:43:07 PM EST No usable GPUs found

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast