Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: What did *you* upgrade today?

Gold Member

Re: What did *you* upgrade today?

SUCCESS!!!! I used ccleaner then I used display driver uninstaller in safe mode and it removed everything. I then downloaded the latest driver from Nvidia and lo and behold I now have the 960;s running. Thanks all for all the excellent help as usual. Even though I have gone through this experience before I never thought to use another program to sweep away the remnants of the drivers. Thanks again and now I wil be able to see what this thing is capable of doing.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    SUCCESS!!!! I used ccleaner then I used display driver uninstaller in safe mode and it removed everything. I then downloaded the latest driver from Nvidia and lo and behold I now have the 960;s running. Thanks all for all the excellent help as usual. Even though I have gone through this experience before I never thought to use another program to sweep away the remnants of the drivers. Thanks again and now I wil be able to see what this thing is capable of doing.
    Sweet! Those driver remnants can be a bastard! Glad you got it going. Let us hear your results.

Gold Member

Don't know that this is an upgrade, but preceding what I'm getting ready to mention, I switched my SATA hard drive over to the motherboard that accepts a quad core after getting an upgrade from a team member. Since this is my only SATA drive and that is all my Dell Inspiron will accept, it was time to retire the Dell. I don't have a disc drive for it either.

After some thought, it seemed silly to me to sideline my fastest processor even if it's only a dual core. So, after much pain and suffering, I managed to make a diskless client out of it. It can get super slow if it has to write to the hard drive on the server frequently, but for most projects, you're using ram once the wu is started.
    6r39 7r199

Silver Member

Is this considered an upgrade???Picture 471.jpg
    Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA 1150
    Honestly, I was getting tired of messing with my socket 775 mobos and needed a replacement for my main.

Gold Member

If it walks like a duck etc......Guess it must be an upgrade.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

Still trying to figure out if it walks. At first it would reboot about 2 seconds after starting the OS install. A little playing around in the bios and it was ok. Getting 10 on it,the last day of the free upgrade proved to be impossible.....at least it was until I found the right disk (the one I made last month and not the disk from last year) Now, it's rebooting whenever. As of right now, I'm not sure if it's Win 10 doing some ugly updates of system drivers, or if it's this antique psu that was a suspect in other computer crimes. Cpu-z shows it running at 4.5GHz and hasn't blinked in over an hour. I guess I'm stilll on the trail for parts to get it outfitted right.

Silver Member

Finally making a little headway in the crunchers. My 1150 mobo is performing extremely well. Well enough to get me this. Phoenix is alive and well.....not really well.....more like a sickly well. I've managed to get her new EVGA P55 SLI board to work with a 450w power supply. It's an upgrade compared to her dead EVGA P55 LE board. I'll be in the market for more than a couple of good gpus and a new power supply. The question is, with 3 gpu slots on this board, do I want 2 or 3 gpus? I'll need to figure that out before I get a power supply. So far this year I've done good to get preppedPicture 198yuu.jpg for next years P. If I can help it, someone's in for a rough ride.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post
    The question is, with 3 gpu slots on this board, do I want 2 or 3 gpus? I'll need to figure that out before I get a power supply.
    I run (3) HD5870's on a MSI X79A-GD45 Plus motherboard and an Intel i7 4830K chip. My whole rig is overpowered with an Ultra 1200w PSU but I have put a meter on it and it pulls 665 watts running all out. I could probably get away with running a 750w PSU.

For a breakdown the rig with (1) GPU runs at about 400 watts; the other GPU's are about 130 watts a piece. So there are a few numbers to get you started.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    I run (3) HD5870's on a MSI X79A-GD45 Plus motherboard and an Intel i7 4830K chip. My whole rig is overpowered with an Ultra 1200w PSU but I have put a meter on it and it pulls 665 watts running all out. I could probably get away with running a 750w PSU.

For a breakdown the rig with (1) GPU runs at about 400 watts; the other GPU's are about 130 watts a piece. So there are a few numbers to get you started.
    I did have a 1300w running it before the old board died. That 1300w replaced a 700w that didn't have enough power to run a 5850 and a gtx 580. I'm going to be putting at least a 280x and a 970 with the 1150 477k. That will free up one 5850 and one gtx 460. I'm sure I could get away with a 750w psu for now. I know it doesn't like the 450w. Every time I throw the turbo on, it will run for about an hour then will flake out running the cpu full throttle. If I try to ramp up the clock to what I usually run that cpu at, it's instant lights out the second the cpu gets a full load. I'll play around with an app to figure out the absolute biggest psu it will need and go from there. Running on a budget, it's not always easy to get gpus that are not power hungry. And whatever I do manage to get my hands on will most likely go in the next new build early next year.....with luck, it will all go down before the Pentathlon next year. I'm not going to show up again without some horsepower. lol

edit -- 2488 W -- wahahaha! I know that's a totally unrealistic number. I do tend to go over power so I can piggy back my miners. It does look the smallest I'm going with is another 1300w just to give me a little cushion.
    Last edited by Shandia; 09-17-16 at 11:58 AM.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post

1200W pulling 665W is more efficient. If you dropped to a 750W PSU, you would pull more than 665W from the wall to power everything.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast