PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Participation in Challenges

STMahlberg
12-20-16, 06:49 PM
We've made a request to BoincStats that we join new challenges automatically. Currently, we have to join each challenge manually; having this done would be a time saver.

Willy has said, "You ask it here (the BoincStats forum) but you also send me a link (or you post it in this thread) to your team forum where you announce the automatic participation. This is so I'm absolutely sure that your team agrees."

As you can see, we must agree to this as a team before Willy will enable the feature. As a reminder, this is a public posting that will be seen on the BoincStats forum; so don't give away any trade secrets. :))

Al
12-20-16, 07:31 PM
I'm all for it!

Bryan
12-20-16, 07:45 PM
Great idea ... in fact you admins were so dog gone good at signing us up I thought we were already doing it =))

zombie67
12-20-16, 11:07 PM
Agreed!

DrPop
12-21-16, 01:39 AM
Sounds good to me, and we can all pick the ones we like to participate in. :)

cineon_lut
12-22-16, 06:35 AM
I will vote a nay. I've never been a fan of entering a challenge where we don't intend to fight. Also, It sends the wrong message to challenge issuers who are ignorant of other boinc events such as the pentathlon. They should know what's going on in the world before scheduling a boinc-wide event.

Challenges also show a good level of detail on resource allocation during said events. We may not want our stats tracked so closely during certain times.

It's not a showstopper. Don't hold this change back because of one nay vote. In the end it doesn't really hurt anything--it's all about what message we're trying to send.

Vic (mobile)

shiva
12-22-16, 11:58 AM
I will vote a nay. I've never been a fan of entering a challenge where we don't intend to fight. Also, It sends the wrong message to challenge issuers who are ignorant of other boinc events such as the pentathlon. They should know what's going on in the world before scheduling a boinc-wide event.

Challenges also show a good level of detail on resource allocation during said events. We may not want our stats tracked so closely during certain times.

It's not a showstopper. Don't hold this change back because of one nay vote. In the end it doesn't really hurt anything--it's all about what message we're trying to send.

Vic (mobile)I know I haven't participated much lately but I agree with this. don't know if we want a bunch of challenges the we show up as another ALSO RAN, because our high value crunchers didn't show up for a challenge. I know the the monthly runs that are showing up all the time will not be something that I'm interested in.

STMahlberg
12-24-16, 08:37 AM
So do we have all the comments about this that we're going to get?

I'll wait a few more days then send a link to Willy.

Al
12-24-16, 09:16 AM
I guess my last word would be that we've been entered in all challenges, individually, for the better part of a year anyway. Doing so autimatically will free up admin time and be one less thing to do. Also, we don't need to win every challenge to have fun with them. Occasionally it's nice to not have the big boys involved so that members with less horsepower actually get a chance to see themselves on the first page. Just my closing thoughts.

STMahlberg
12-28-16, 12:12 PM
It would appear that Willy has enabled the automatic participation feature. We were entered into a GPUGRID challenge at the end of January that I didn't do... so that's good. :)

Mumps
12-28-16, 05:42 PM
So now you just need to stay on top of posting all the new challenges to our calendar and creating threads for them. :D

STMahlberg
12-28-16, 05:55 PM
So now you just need to stay on top of posting all the new challenges to our calendar and creating threads for them. :D

Indeed... and I see that GC just issued 3 more challenges.

Al
12-28-16, 06:01 PM
Indeed... and I see that GC just issued 3 more challenges.
Shotgun approach...issue enough and you might win one. ;)

Mumps
12-28-16, 06:03 PM
Cool! I see the YoYo challenge is scheduled for shortly after I'll probably be hitting 100 Mil and swearing off YoYo forever. :)

EDIT: And of all the challenges that aren't yet complete, the only one I'm interested in running based on my 100 Mil rule is the current WCG one. :) And that one I avoided due to the boredom rule... :))

shiva
12-29-16, 12:55 AM
EDIT: And of all the challenges that aren't yet complete, the only one I'm interested in running based on my 100 Mil rule is the current WCG one. :) And that one I avoided due to the boredom rule... :))I bout died of boredom just getting that to 5m don't even want to think what the boredom level would be getting to 100m :))

MindCrime
01-02-17, 05:40 PM
Well if we're joining all challenges automatically our competitors won't know which ones we are really "showing up" for.

Haunted Forest
01-02-17, 08:45 PM
Well if we're joining all challenges automatically our competitors won't know which ones we are really "showing up" for.

That is a good point, and it looks like there are good challenges so far this year.