PDA

View Full Version : GTX 465

joker
03-24-11, 07:19 PM
Ok, as some of you may know, I picked one of these up a little while ago: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133344

It cost me $148.98 at the time (after shipping). Today I finally took the "plunge". After only about 5 hours, I finally got it to flash up to a GTX 470!! :D Looks like it still has alot of headroom for OCing. Only got about a 100MHz oc on it now. Want to let it burn in some more. Special thx to Maxxy as it was his link in another thread that finally got this thing working. Here are some pics for anyone still looking at this post.

Maxwell
03-24-11, 08:25 PM
Woohoo! Glad you got it working!

zombie67
03-24-11, 09:16 PM
Ok, as some of you may know, I picked one of these up a little while ago: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133344

It cost me $148.98 at the time (after shipping). Today I finally took the "plunge". After only about 5 hours, I finally got it to flash up to a GTX 470!! :D Looks like it still has alot of headroom for OCing. Only got about a 100MHz oc on it now. Want to let it burn in some more. Special thx to Maxxy as it was his link in another thread that finally got this thing working. Here are some pics for anyone still looking at this post.

Awesome! I am curious to know the PG credits/day, 465 vs 470.

joker
03-24-11, 09:38 PM
Awesome! I am curious to know the PG credits/day, 465 vs 470.

Hard to say exactly how much the 465 would be putting out a day as I had been gaming with it (about 3+hours a day. Sorry guys, not working and needed to pass the time). With gaming it put out about 360K a day. Hit a max of 400K when I was not gaming. Don't know if that was normal or not. I shall post updates soon about how the 470 crunches. Keep fingers crossed! X_X

joker
03-24-11, 11:06 PM
A mid update. Old GTX 465 used to take an average of 16:28 minutes to complete a WU. With the flash, the "new" card takes an average fo 12:45 minutes to complete a WU.

zombie67
03-25-11, 12:30 AM
A mid update. Old GTX 465 used to take an average of 16:28 minutes to complete a WU. With the flash, the "new" card takes an average fo 12:45 minutes to complete a WU.

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

joker
03-25-11, 01:53 AM
OCed the card to 800 MHz and I have an average of 11:13 minutes per WU. We shall see if that helps out with the average.

joker
03-26-11, 12:58 AM
Went from 360,000K to 535,022K with the the newly flashed card. Not too bad for $140.00. Only problem I am having is that this 535,022K number is over 2 hours old. Pretty sure the card is cranking out more WU's but for some reason I am not getting credit for it as of yet.

Maxwell
03-26-11, 01:18 AM
Define "not getting credit" for it - have stats not exported, are the WUs going into pending, are they erroring out, or what?

joker
03-26-11, 01:42 AM
From what I can see, the credits are not registering on Free Dc as of yet. Kinda frustrating to have a card that has been kicking butt all day long but it does not have a credit update for over 3 hours.

Maxwell
03-26-11, 01:44 AM
From what I can see, the credits are not registering on Free Dc as of yet. Kinda frustrating to have a card that has been kicking butt all day long but it does not have a credit update for over 3 hours.
Does your BOINC manager say your credits have increased? And does the PG site say they have? If so, Free-DC will catch up - it just checks for PG updates only a few times/day. Something like every 4 hours, IIRC...

EDIT:

PrimeGrid - SETI.USA Overview
Last Checked : Sat Mar 26, 04:24:29 2011 GMT
Data Updated : Sat Mar 26, 01:22:23 2011 GMT
Current Time : Sat Mar 26, 06:44:36 2011 GMT

John P. Myers
03-26-11, 02:29 AM
Does your BOINC manager say your credits have increased? And does the PG site say they have? If so, Free-DC will catch up - it just checks for PG updates only a few times/day. Something like every 4 hours, IIRC...

EDIT:

Right. None of the stat sites update right away. It's always hours in between.

Mumps
03-26-11, 11:35 AM
The stats sites can only update when they see the project has exported their stats. The schedule the projects do that is under their control. In the case of PG, you can see it only exports approximately every 4 hours.

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=statsrun&proj=pgrid

This is a "kinda hidden" set of pages on Free-DC. Just replace that "proj" id at the end with the appropriate id for any project you're interested in. I haven't figured out where Bok has that linked from the published pages. :)

joker
03-27-11, 01:06 AM
Got 575,364 credits today.

DrPop
03-27-11, 03:08 AM
Man, that is just unreal. I'm almost afraid to buy one because I'd be so dissapointed if PG cut the credits on that app. Is there any other high paying app for CUDA cards?

John P. Myers
04-04-11, 02:18 AM
I hope nothing bad comes from me saying this, but not only does the GTX 470 have the exact same chip as the GTX 465, but the GTX 480 uses the exact same one as well...

Dandasarge
04-04-11, 10:10 AM
I hope nothing bad comes from me saying this, but not only does the GTX 470 have the exact same chip as the GTX 465, but the GTX 480 uses the exact same one as well...

I think this is bad info. Can you link what makes you think this will work? I'm reading that they are the same chip but the memory isn’t there so they wont work even if unlocked the channels aren’t on the board to support them.

Some, maybe 1 manufacture has it hooked up maybe we could score a few more points for the team if we can find this out.

also i'm finding that they have 2 configurations of the 465 one has 8 memory chips and one has 10. The one with 10 will go much faster.

DrPop
04-04-11, 11:59 AM
...also i'm finding that they have 2 configurations of the 465 one has 8 memory chips and one has 10. The one with 10 will go much faster.

Hopefully the one that just arrived at my office is a 10 chip! :D:cool::)

Beerdrinker
04-04-11, 12:52 PM
Hopefully the one that just arrived at my office is a 10 chip! :D:cool::)

Are you telling me that you just had a GTX 465 delivered???? WOOT!!!

joker
04-04-11, 12:56 PM

Yeah, he couldnt stand me kicking his butt in PG. :p

Dandasarge
04-04-11, 01:36 PM
Yeah, he couldnt stand me kicking his butt in PG. :p

He's trying to push me to my last dollar!

John P. Myers
04-04-11, 02:20 PM
I think this is bad info. Can you link what makes you think this will work? I'm reading that they are the same chip but the memory isn’t there so they wont work even if unlocked the channels aren’t on the board to support them.

Some, maybe 1 manufacture has it hooked up maybe we could score a few more points for the team if we can find this out.

also i'm finding that they have 2 configurations of the 465 one has 8 memory chips and one has 10. The one with 10 will go much faster.

Bad info? No it's 100% fact. Number of memory chips doesn't matter. Your computer will work with 1GB RAM same as 16GB. What difference does that make? But you got me curious to find out if anyone has successfully done this. So I went checking around. So far i've found people who have flashed a 470 with 480 BIOS and gained a 1000 point Vantage benchmark score. Not bad :) It appears though that these chips are very well binned, so you're likely to end up permanently screwing your card flashing from a 465 to a 480, although there is a slim chance it would work. Very slim. There's also a possibility of screwing up your 465 by flashing it to a 470, although not as high.

The rumor about some 465's having 10 RAM chips is false (although some had 10 at release so Nvidia could get the cards into the hands of reviewers quicker by using 470s). GPU-Z will tell you your 465 has the same memory as a 470 after you flash it because GPU-Z only reports what the new BIOS tells it to. It doesn't actually check how much memory is really there. I imagine your card will lock up if it's flashed with 470 BIOS and something requires more than the 1GB memory you have, because it thinks it has 1280MB. But that's not likely to ever happen while crunching.

Dandasarge
04-04-11, 02:45 PM
Bad info? No it's 100% fact. Number of memory chips doesn't matter. Your computer will work with 1GB RAM same as 16GB. What difference does that make? But you got me curious to find out if anyone has successfully done this. So I went checking around. So far i've found people who have flashed a 470 with 480 BIOS and gained a 1000 point Vantage benchmark score. Not bad :) It appears though that these chips are very well binned, so you're likely to end up permanently screwing your card flashing from a 465 to a 480, although there is a slim chance it would work. Very slim. There's also a possibility of screwing up your 465 by flashing it to a 470, although not as high.

The rumor about some 465's having 10 RAM chips is false (although some had 10 at release so Nvidia could get the cards into the hands of reviewers quicker by using 470s). GPU-Z will tell you your 465 has the same memory as a 470 after you flash it because GPU-Z only reports what the new BIOS tells it to. It doesn't actually check how much memory is really there. I imagine your card will lock up if it's flashed with 470 BIOS and something requires more than the 1GB memory you have, because it thinks it has 1280MB. But that's not likely to ever happen while crunching.

The way I read it is that the lanes from the CPU to the memory are physically missing. I agree in theory it "could" work. The way you say. In crunching it really unlikely it would make a 5% difference.

The 465 with 10 chips is defiantly true I had to find the difference and and PNY as far as I can tell is the only one still producing them. But MSI made most of there first batches this way. 8 out of 10 do not make them this way but most of them have at some point for one reason or another. I'm sure most of the 10 chip not produced by PNY or MSI are ones that failed some test as a 470 but ran 100% as a 465, just like the locked AMD cores.

joker
04-04-11, 03:16 PM
Im very happy with mine. :D

DrPop
04-04-11, 03:26 PM

Heh...Joker was making me look pathetic again. We couldn't have that, now could we? :D hehehe...to be honest, Joker has helped me out a ton crunching for me when my rig was in major rehab, and all.
Now he just pushed me into getting a GTX 465 to mod for the team. And that's not all, he just sent me a little sumin' sumthin' to crunch some mo' DNETC with baby! :D Ooooooh yeah. The DrPop rig is smilling already. I can see the HAF 932 case just lit up some lights when I typed this. =:)

Fire$torm
04-05-11, 01:39 AM
Heh...Joker was making me look pathetic again. We couldn't have that, now could we? :D hehehe...to be honest, Joker has helped me out a ton crunching for me when my rig was in major rehab, and all.
Now he just pushed me into getting a GTX 465 to mod for the team. And that's not all, he just sent me a little sumin' sumthin' to crunch some mo' DNETC with baby! :D Ooooooh yeah. The DrPop rig is smilling already. I can see the HAF 932 case just lit up some lights when I typed this. =:)

Not that I don't believe you.......... PICS!!!!!

joker
04-11-11, 11:35 PM
I realize that no body will care accept me but I am so happy about this, I must share. I got 600,708 credits with my card today. :D

In case you have not read the rest of this thread, that is from a card that I paid $140 for. That is what brings the big smile to my face.

Maxwell
04-11-11, 11:41 PM
I realize that no body will care accept me but I am so happy about this, I must share. I got 600,708 credits with my card today. :D

In case you have not read the rest of this thread, that is from a card that I paid $140 for. That is what brings the big smile to my face.
Holy crap!!!:eek:

joker
04-11-11, 11:43 PM
Holy crap!!! You took the words right out of my.........mouth.

Maxwell
04-11-11, 11:47 PM
You took the words right out of my.........mouth.
It must have been while you were... kissing... me... Oh god.
1. Meatloaf reference.
2. Kissing joker... :mad:

joker
04-11-11, 11:57 PM
It must have been while you were... kissing... me... Oh god.
1. Meatloaf reference.
2. Kissing joker...

I am going to brush my teeth now...................

joker
04-19-11, 12:44 AM
Ok, the best OC I could get out of it stable is 824.5MHz. :( 10:50 minutes per WU. I tried for more but the card just would not cooperate. This includes gaming and watching video.

DrPop
04-19-11, 01:25 AM
That is literally amazing. You're doing WUs in half the time of a stock 465!
Did you change the volts at all to get it that high?

joker
04-19-11, 02:24 AM
Did you change the volts at all to get it that high?

A little bit. Running at 1.0370.