PDA

View Full Version : my ol laptop

jeeprnovru
03-26-11, 11:04 AM
i wonder if my laptop gets tired of running a 100% cpu freq. 24/7. im proud of it tho, i can BONIC and stream HDvideo with out a hiccup....just had to put a dual fan pad under it...what do you guys think of these stats and what would you improve?
General
System Type Notebook
Width 14.7 in
Depth 9.7 in
Height 1.5 in
Weight 5.5 lbs
Color Matte black
Localization English / United States
Processor
Processor Intel Celeron 900 / 2.2 GHz
64-bit Computing Yes
Data Bus Speed 800 MHz
Cache Memory
Installed Size 1 MB
RAM
Installed Size 2 GB / 8 GB (max)
Technology DDR3 SDRAM
Form Factor SO DIMM 204-pin
Configuration Features 1 x 2 GB
Storage Controller
Type Serial ATA
Serial ATA Interface Serial ATA-300
Storage
Hard Drive 250 GB - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm
Optical Storage
Type DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
Disc Labeling Technology LightScribe Technology
Display
Display Type 15.6" TFT
LCD Backlight Technology LED backlight
Max Resolution 1366 x 768 ( WXGA )
Widescreen Display Yes
Features HD BrightView
Video
Graphics Processor / Vendor Intel GMA 4500M Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0
Total Available Graphics Memory 797 MB
Audio
Audio Output Sound card
Features Altec Lansing speakers
Audio Input Microphone
Input Device(s)
Type Keyboard, touchpad
Networking
Networking Network adapter
Wireless LAN Supported Yes
Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
Compliant Standards IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
Expansion / Connectivity
Expansion Slots Total (Free) 2 ( 1 ) x memory - SO DIMM 204-pin
Interfaces 3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A 1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) 1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 1 x headphones - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm 1 x microphone - input - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm

Maxwell
03-26-11, 11:07 AM
You could always throw more RAM in. And what OS is on it?

jeeprnovru
03-26-11, 11:41 AM
i got windows 7...im shoppin right now for more sodimm for it....guess i was gonna drop 4gigs in...

Mumps
03-26-11, 11:55 AM
i got windows 7...im shoppin right now for more sodimm for it....guess i was gonna drop 4gigs in...

Hopefully a 64bit flavor... Quite a few projects out there get much better credit running the 64bit app, so a 64bit O/S is a definite plus.

"Drop 4gigs in" as in adding it to the existing 2gig? That would be the right choice. 2x2gig dimms...

And when you're asking about what you would improve, do you mean if you replaced the laptop entirely? Because then I'd have a lot of suggestions. Starting with that built in video card. :) Can't even put out a decent HD display? Puhleeese! :)

jeeprnovru
03-26-11, 12:44 PM
dont be mean to my poor laptop...shes sensitive! i menat as in pulling the two 1gigs out and putting two new 2gig ripsaws for four gigs total...

Mumps
03-26-11, 01:41 PM
dont be mean to my poor laptop...shes sensitive! i menat as in pulling the two 1gigs out and putting two new 2gig ripsaws for four gigs total...

No disrespect intended to the ol' girl.

According to the specs you posted, you've got 2 soDIMM slots left, so no reason to be pulling the old out to insert new. Simply get 2 2gig soDIMMs and have 6 Gig. Pretty much what I just did on my Q6600 desktop... And because most laptops aren't built to overclock, as long as you're getting the 2 gig sodimms, there wouldn't be a reason, like timings or anything,to pull out the old.

zombie67
03-26-11, 11:53 PM
Still need info on the OS. Win 7 32 or Win 7 64?

John P. Myers
03-27-11, 12:08 AM
You could probably stick a sexier CPU in it too. They never give you the best one possible for the motherboard :) And Celerons are cheap

jeeprnovru
03-27-11, 12:58 PM
Still need info on the OS. Win 7 32 or Win 7 64?

its win 64bit

jeeprnovru
03-27-11, 01:25 PM
You could probably stick a sexier CPU in it too. They never give you the best one possible for the motherboard :) And Celerons are cheap

do have any recomendations as to whats is good and will fit it my MOBO?

John P. Myers
03-27-11, 06:27 PM
do have any recomendations as to whats is good and will fit it my MOBO?

Would need to know the brand and model of the notebook to check on that.

jeeprnovru
03-27-11, 06:52 PM
Would need to know the brand and model of the notebook to check on that.

if you laugh...i keeel you!

Compaq Presario CQ62-410US

all the stats for it are in my first post....thanks JM! i really love how helpfull all you guys are! i love my new team dammit...wish we could all meet up and eat at dennys or something, guess that aint logisticly possible. you guys all need to come down for mardi gras next year...you just missed it this year. would andbody consider if i lined it all up?

John P. Myers
03-27-11, 08:59 PM
if you laugh...i keeel you!

Compaq Presario CQ62-410US

all the stats for it are in my first post....thanks JM! i really love how helpfull all you guys are! i love my new team dammit...wish we could all meet up and eat at dennys or something, guess that aint logisticly possible. you guys all need to come down for mardi gras next year...you just missed it this year. would andbody consider if i lined it all up?

lol Ok nvm on the CPU. Only 2 Celeron 9xx were made. Of course HP gave you the slowest one, but the fastest one is only 2.3GHz. Same cache and bus speed and everything else so not really worth it.

As for meeting up, we've done it before, but i have no idea when i'd have a chance to take a trip that far :/

GregK
03-27-11, 10:01 PM
ahh cpu upgrade. cheap and fun easy way to get your hands dirty. dont forget some good thermal paste. and you should be proud of your lappy way more powerfull than my 2. sheesh you guys are crazy with the ram i have 2 gigs in my quad and have never ram out boinc'ing. with games yes world of tanks and call of duty max's out my ram. and i mean in the 90's% range! wish i could afford 2 more gigs.

jeeprnovru
03-27-11, 10:59 PM
;9725']ahh cpu upgrade. cheap and fun easy way to get your hands dirty. dont forget some good thermal paste. and you should be proud of your lappy way more powerfull than my 2. sheesh you guys are crazy with the ram i have 2 gigs in my quad and have never ram out boinc'ing. with games yes world of tanks and call of duty max's out my ram. and i mean in the 90's% range! wish i could afford 2 more gigs.

you can get 2gigs of memory for around $50 right now...go donate some plasma! lol:o

DrPop
03-27-11, 11:44 PM
thanks JM! i really love how helpfull all you guys are! i love my new team dammit...wish we could all meet up and eat at dennys or something, guess that aint logisticly possible. you guys all need to come down for mardi gras next year...you just missed it this year. would andbody consider if i lined it all up?

Ah, man, I just don't think that one is worth upgrading. But as far as a SETI.USA convention of sorts - yeah, that would be fun! :D

GregK
03-29-11, 08:42 AM
ya i could(ram) sometime jeep and will but now focusing on my new/old lappy. just ordered a power switch board if it fires up screen next. worth it? i dont care its fun and i want to see it run. we have tried for 5 yrs here to get together. the original crew joe- joe and blkjack (hope they come back)!! and a few others more recently have met up 1 on 1 few beer thing im sure. best bet is to find someone closest and see if they will stop through sometime. ya it would be nice think you guys can set it up at a park down the road from me?:) jeep your a great teammate good to have you here! your livening up the boards nicely!:) no really about 3 miles from me is a cool 4x4 spot by a small river, deep mud holes, verticals. bring the trucks and come on down!