PDA

View Full Version : Parts Exchange

Dandasarge
03-29-11, 08:33 AM
The team used to have a huge parts exchange. I'm just woundering if any of it is still around? I'm sure not or I would of seen a post by now. Just woundering.

joker
03-29-11, 07:46 PM
Have not seen a real parts exchange thread since......the old boards I think.

Maxwell
03-29-11, 08:36 PM
We're certainly exchanging parts, but not really with a dedicated thread. Feel free to post if you have something you want to exchange/get/trade/give/etc...

Beerdrinker
03-30-11, 12:46 AM
The team used to have a huge parts exchange. I'm just woundering if any of it is still around? I'm sure not or I would of seen a post by now. Just woundering.

I think that what you remember is my post: " what do you need to build another cruncher" and all the comotion about our cluster.

Somehow the cluster idea never caugth on for real....:(

joker
03-30-11, 12:50 AM
Does getting 12 cores online equate to a cluster?

Beerdrinker
03-30-11, 01:17 AM
Does getting 12 cores online equate to a cluster?

Well I donīt know really....The cluster idea were sparkled by a certain "unnamed" german team who had around 120 cores going for them........:cool:

joker
03-30-11, 01:43 AM
Well I donīt know really....The cluster idea were sparkled by a certain "unnamed" german team who had around 120 cores going for them........

POOP! Im only off by 10 times.

DrPop
03-30-11, 04:09 AM
POOP! Im only off by 10 times.

Hahahaha, I almost fell out of my chair reading that! :D I like to refer to the kind of setups you and I have as a "micro farm". ;)

I couldn't imagine having to pay the power bill on a full out cluster right now! :p

Dandasarge
03-30-11, 08:18 AM
Hahahaha, I almost fell out of my chair reading that! :D I like to refer to the kind of setups you and I have as a "micro farm". ;)

I couldn't imagine having to pay the power bill on a full out cluster right now! :p

HAHAHA the holder of a cluster is the guy that doesn't have a power bill. Like living in a dorm room or something. I always thought the cluster was a good idea. I have no idea how to fund it? maybe raffles or something everyone likes the chance to get a part for 5 bucks and if you don't get it its 5 bucks, not much of a loss.

rgathright
03-30-11, 05:16 PM
HAVE:
I have a box of memory and IDE/SATA hard drives along with a wide range of adapters for exchange.

Believe it or not... also have comic books / baseball cards and Nintendo DS/Gameboy games for exchange. Gotta git rid of this old kiddie stuff! =))

WANT:
Wireless networking cards and USB adapters.

PM me if interested.

John P. Myers
03-31-11, 03:03 AM
HAVE:
I have a box of memory and IDE/SATA hard drives along with a wide range of adapters for exchange.

Believe it or not... also have comic books / baseball cards and Nintendo DS/Gameboy games for exchange. Gotta git rid of this old kiddie stuff! =))

WANT:
Wireless networking cards and USB adapters.

PM me if interested.

Baseball cards you say? More info please :)

zombie67
03-31-11, 12:28 PM
I have a 550w PSU, if anyone can use it.

joker
05-12-11, 07:08 PM
I still have my Sound Blaster Audigy 2.

http://classified.pak.net/wp-content/uploads/classipress/creative-sound-blast-637477564.jpg

I also have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024&cm_re=sound_blaster_x-fi_titanium-_-29-102-024-_-Product

Have the original driver discs for both cards.

DrPop
05-13-11, 03:45 AM
@Joker - those are some nice cards. What are you using instead these days? I know you listen to your music, watch movies, etc, all from your PC - did you get some crazy Fire$torm type "killer audiophile" card to replace those?

I'm actually slightly interested in buying one off you for a "good used price :D" for Kat's rig later this summer when we get an apartment and I take her rig home for her. She is starting to get into singing a little, (cute at her age), and wants me to record her and her friends. Hahaha...oh man, brings back some memories for me.
I've been out of the audio recording stuff so long that I don't know if either of those Creative cards are much better than what's onboard her MSI 870-G45 mobo (http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=2019).
Ah, the other thing I just thought of is, with 2 GPUs in there, not much room for separate Audio cards these days! hmmmm...priorities, man! ;)

I used to have an M-Audio Delta 1010 (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010.html) in college, a couple matched condensor mics, etc - but that is all long gone, and I don't have any of it now. :(

John P. Myers
05-13-11, 04:54 AM
I've been out of the audio recording stuff so long that I don't know if either of those Creative cards are much better than what's onboard her MSI 870-G45 mobo (http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=2019).

Yeah either of those would be better than the sound on that mobo. My mobo has a soundblaster X-Fi chip built in, but i don't even want it :p

Creative Labs is no joke when it comes to sound reproduction/decoding/enhancement. They know their stuff.

DrPop
05-13-11, 11:49 AM
OK, thanks. I will keep this in mind, then.
I don't understand this, though, JPM:

Yeah either of those would be better than the sound on that mobo. My mobo has a soundblaster X-Fi chip built in, but i don't even want it :p

What do you mean by not wanting it, if it was "free" like as in, already on the mobo?:confused: Thanks for explaining that...

John P. Myers
05-13-11, 11:58 AM
OK, thanks. I will keep this in mind, then.
I don't understand this, though, JPM:

What do you mean by not wanting it, if it was "free" like as in, already on the mobo?:confused: Thanks for explaining that...

Yeah it's a chip soldered to the motherboard. I'm sure it wasn't free. And i can't very well remove it...not that anyone could use it even if i did...

c303a
05-13-11, 12:36 PM
Don't know if anyone can use it, but I have a Intel D915GEV motherboard. This is a 775 board with lan, video, sound, 1 pcie x 16, and 2 pcie x1 slots. Supports P4 processors with DDR2 ram. If you can use it send me a PM. Comes with faceplate.

joker
05-13-11, 01:16 PM
@Joker - those are some nice cards. What are you using instead these days? I know you listen to your music, watch movies, etc, all from your PC - did you get some crazy Fire$torm type "killer audiophile" card to replace those?

I just use the onboard sound. The audio card sits too close to my video card and blocks the air flow and it already runs really hot.

DrPop
05-13-11, 01:25 PM
Yeah it's a chip soldered to the motherboard. I'm sure it wasn't free. And i can't very well remove it...not that anyone could use it even if i did...

Ah, I see. It was an "extra feature" that came on the mobo you wanted, but you don't really use sound at all from that computer. I get it, you paid $ for it to be there, but don't use it.

I was thinking more of like you bought some killer audiophile card and then had no use for it. ;)

EDIT: @Joker - welll, if you still have one laying around this summer...and if Kat has a free spot in her mobo that won't block the GPUs... ;)

c303a
05-13-11, 01:33 PM
EDIT: @Joker - welll, if you still have one laying around this summer...and if Kat has a free spot in her mobo that won't block the GPUs... ;)

By all means, don't block the GPU s for a sound card. Must have our prioritys.

Fire$torm
05-13-11, 03:29 PM
Well Keithinator died early this morning. It looks like the MB crapped out. It had been acting up the last few days. I'm sure the CPU and memory are good. This system was a team donation from Keith and is one of the systems I was going to offer the team. Since I was making a giveaway list anyway the CPU is now on it.

The list....

Intel Pentium 4@2.8Ghz Prescott Socket-478 w/Stock Cooler

RAM:
1x) Hyundai/Hynix 1GB PC3200 (DDR-400) CL3 P/N: HYMD512 646CP8JD43

1x) Nanya 512MB PC3200 (DDR-400) CL3 P/N: NT512D64S8HB1G-5T

2x) Micron 512MB PC3200R (DDR-400) CL3 ECC Registered P/N: MT18VDDF6472G-40BC3

1x) Micron 512MB PC2-3200 (DDR2-400) CL3 P/N: MT8HTF6464AY-40EA1

1x) Qimonda/Infineon 512MB PC2-5300 (DDR2-667) P/N: HYS64T64000HU-3S-A

CPU Cooler:
1x) Thermaltake TR2-M13 Socket 775

CD-Burner
1x) LITE-ON CD-RW 32x12x40x P/N: LTR-32123S

Controllers:
Adaptec AHA-2940 PCI-SCSI Card w/Cable

A note about shipping. The Cooler and CD Drive will take a short while to ship out because of limited funds, as in new build. The other items won't be an issue.

DrPop
05-13-11, 03:56 PM
Hey F$ - I *think* that DDR 400 ECC RAM is what the Twin server boards from BOK use. BOK has 3 GB in it, but KIM has only 2GB, with 2 open RAM slots. I might could use your set of (2) 512MB sticks to get it up to snuff? I will check on the mobo and everything to make sure that is the exact RAM, but I think it is!

Sorry to hear about the Keithinator, but good timing with the new rig buildup already under way!

EDIT: That reminds me, has anyone seen Keith latelY?

joker
05-13-11, 04:50 PM
Both sound cards are now spoken for and are thus off the market.

Fire$torm
05-13-11, 05:37 PM
That reminds me, has anyone seen Keith latelY?

Nope. The last time he was on the boards was 04.25.2011. Not a good sign....

c303a
05-13-11, 05:40 PM
The mobo that I have will take that P4 if you want the board. Free!

Fire$torm
05-13-11, 05:59 PM
The mobo that I have will take that P4 if you want the board. Free!

Thanks but this CPU is socket-478 which was the last Prescott before Intel moved that series to 775.

c303a
05-13-11, 06:20 PM
Maybe someone can use it. It's the last of my "spare parts". Except for things like fans I had to get rid of the 2 boxes I had because the wife wanted to use the space for her junk. It's always like that.;)$-)$-)$-)

Maxwell
05-13-11, 06:28 PM
Maybe someone can use it. It's the last of my "spare parts". Except for things like fans I had to get rid of the 2 boxes I had because the wife wanted to use the space for her junk. It's always like that.;)$-)$-)$-)
I'm trying to talk myself out of taking that off your hands, but I'm failing...

Fire$torm
05-13-11, 06:44 PM

Hey Maxwell, the Thermaltake Cooler I listed would work great with that board. And it to is Free!!!

DrPop
05-13-11, 07:25 PM

...failing like the door of that dishwasher in you Avatar! ;) :P

You know you want another project rig. Resistance is futile! :D

rgathright
05-13-11, 09:31 PM
Hey F$ - I *think* that DDR 400 ECC RAM

Reminds me, I got 2x 512 DDR2 533 Mhz ECC if anyone needs it.

Just want to see a photo of the machine it will go in.

c303a
05-13-11, 09:38 PM

I already have it in a box ready to ship.

Maxwell
05-13-11, 10:46 PM
Ugh. PMs sent. When I punch myself in the junk, remind me why... :-s

joker
05-13-11, 10:54 PM
When I punch myself in the junk...

If you need any help.............and not from my mom!!

Steve Bohlen
05-14-11, 06:07 PM
I've got various RAM sitting around. Need to take an official inventory though.

I'm looking for an older, working, BOINC-able PCI card, if anyone has one collecting dust.

Fire$torm
05-16-11, 02:10 AM
This is an S.O.S.

In my quest to help Maxwell I made a mistake. I thought he needed DDR-400 RAM sticks. A couple of hours ago I discovered that he actually needs DDR2-400 a.k.a PC2-3200 Non-ECC sticks of which I only have 1x 512MB and 2x 256MB which I am sending him.

Does anyone else have any DDR2-400 512MB or 1GB sticks they can part with? In either size he would need a pair of them.

Thanks in advance.

F$

joker
05-16-11, 03:26 AM
I could be wrong here but I thought PC 3200 was DDR. DDR-2 should be PC-6400. If that is the case, I have 2 Gigs of PC-6400 siting on my desk. Never been used. Am guessing that it works.

Maxwell
05-16-11, 11:26 AM
Hehe... that RAM is actually too fast for the Mobo. I need 533 or 400MHz DDR2. Thanks thought!

Dandasarge
05-16-11, 12:14 PM
Hehe... that RAM is actually too fast for the Mobo. I need 533 or 400MHz DDR2. Thanks thought!

I'm pretty sure I have 2 gigs of 400 that i took out of a system a couple weeks ago. if not I have 2 512's that i'm pretty sure are 533 on a MOBO that Bok sent me that I could never get to work.

John P. Myers
05-16-11, 01:41 PM
Just a note: to confuse people, there is actually PC-3200 DDR and PC-3200 DDR2. I'm sure quite a few bought the wrong one for their computer at some point in time lol

Maxwell
05-16-11, 01:44 PM
I'm pretty sure I have 2 gigs of 400 that i took out of a system a couple weeks ago. if not I have 2 512's that i'm pretty sure are 533 on a MOBO that Bok sent me that I could never get to work.
Ooh... I would love it if I could...

Fire$torm
05-16-11, 03:39 PM
I could be wrong here but I thought PC 3200 was DDR. DDR-2 should be PC-6400. If that is the case, I have 2 Gigs of PC-6400 siting on my desk. Never been used. Am guessing that it works.

Just a note: to confuse people, there is actually PC-3200 DDR and PC-3200 DDR2. I'm sure quite a few bought the wrong one for their computer at some point in time lol

Yep... Been there, done that :(

Wikipedia info:
DDR Chips and Modules (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM#Chips_and_modules)

DDR2 Chips and Modules (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM#Chips_and_modules)

DDR3 Chips and Modules (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM#JEDEC_standard_modules)

Maxwell
05-17-11, 12:18 AM
Collectively, we are a bunch of awesome individuals...

Person 1: Provided Mobo.
Person 1.5: Provided GPU (through person 1).
Person 2: Provided CPU cooler.
Person 3: CPU and RAM
Person 4: HDD

Only thing I'm missing? A case. I mean, I can certainly get myself one, but if anyone has a spare case fitting an ATX form factor board, that would make this the ultimate cannibal build. ;)