PDA

View Full Version : L'Alliance Francophone could pass us in 4 months

Dandasarge
03-29-11, 09:09 AM
This is a numbers game easier to figure out then any performance project. We need 120 more computers on this project. Any laptop any P3 will do this. I have a couple old p4 2.2's that I'm going to bring online for this.

That is probably not a sustainable answer but at this point its what can be done till we get some new members.

joker
04-04-11, 10:52 PM
They will pass us in what?

Maxwell
04-04-11, 10:56 PM
WuProp...

And as a side note, I'm down somewhere between 6-8 machines due to heat and security issues. Hopefully they'll come back up, but I'm not sure..

DrPop
04-04-11, 11:27 PM
WuProp is not something you can easily just increase production in without getting more rigs online. The only way to do it would be to run a bunch of VMs and I can't see how that hassle is worth only 50 credits...:p

Maxwell
04-04-11, 11:42 PM
WuProp is not something you can easily just increase production in without getting more rigs online. The only way to do it would be to run a bunch of VMs and I can't see how that hassle is worth only 50 credits...:p
a) It would be good practice for FreeHAL if/when it comes back up.
b) If you have the RAM and a GPU, you can run GPU on the main OS install and the CPU in a VM (doubles the WUProp machines)
c) If you run Gomez Peer, it's another machine to get yourself credits...

zombie67
04-05-11, 12:03 AM

This is why it is critical for *all* members to add it to *all* their machines. This project is not something that can be made up. A minute not crunching is lost forever.

zombie67
04-05-11, 12:05 AM

Also, this is why I try to put the project name in the subject of any project-related thread. It's hard to tell what people are talking about unless they happen to notice the forum path at the top.

For example, "WUProp: L'Alliance Francophone could pass us in 4 months".

trigggl
04-05-11, 06:34 AM
This is why it is critical for *all* members to add it to *all* their machines. This project is not something that can be made up. A minute not crunching is lost forever.

You can also get it running on a PS3. If you compile boinc from source, you can configure it with the alternate platform option. I have mine configured as powerpc64-ps3-linux-gnu with an alternate of powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu. I asked Sebastien to release the powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu app for powerpc64-ps3-linux-gnu. He will do so soon.

trigggl
04-06-11, 03:52 PM
You can also get it running on a PS3. If you compile boinc from source, you can configure it with the alternate platform option. I have mine configured as powerpc64-ps3-linux-gnu with an alternate of powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu. I asked Sebastien to release the powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu app for powerpc64-ps3-linux-gnu. He will do so soon.

The PS3 app is released. You may want to try it out.

joker
04-06-11, 05:01 PM
It's hard to tell what people are talking about unless they happen to notice the forum path at the top.

Thx Zombie. Never thought about looking up there. I will try to more observant.

Maxwell
04-06-11, 06:11 PM
The PS3 app is released. You may want to try it out.
It errored out for me. :(

NJCaNS
05-16-11, 11:16 PM
Just an update (bump):
LAF is within 300K of taking this 1st place from us. They are outproducing us by 7K a day. Every PC connected gets 50 credits a day. All our PC's need to be on this project. Every PC counts. Right now they'll pass us in about 52 days. Let's make that a thousand days by adding it to to more of our PC's.

Please join up by adding the following as a project. Thank you.
http://wuprop.boinc-af.org/index.php

p.s. This is a French project so it pisses them off that they're not first. Let's keep them pissed off. **==

joker
05-16-11, 11:35 PM
I got all 4 of my PCs on it. 200 credits a day.

Duke of Buckingham
05-16-11, 11:40 PM
I can pass WUProp home to here. In a while. Done

Duke

Fire$torm
05-17-11, 12:38 AM
I have BAM set to automatically add WUProp@Home and FreeHal to all machines so I never a to think about it.

Maxwell
05-17-11, 12:41 AM
I have BAM set to automatically add WUProp@Home and FreeHal to all machines so I never a to think about it.
+1, including Pirates

zombie67
05-17-11, 01:35 AM
Enthusiasm and "100% on board" does not work if we are miss any team members that don't read the forum. This cannot be won without the legion of members that know nothing about us.

Maxwell
05-17-11, 01:43 AM
Ok. Here's my plan: Dandasarge, NJCans, DrPop, and/or BeerDrinker (yes - I "volunteered" you) write up some note about the importance of WUProp, how it saves puppies from Michael Vick, and link to the results page they have.

If someone can get a draft down, I'll edit/clean it and get it on the front page. Then pass the torch to others to Tweet/Facebook/Advertise. I just don't have the time or inclination to write from scratch...

DrPop
05-17-11, 02:32 AM
um...did I read that right? They are out-pacing us by Seven THOUSAND per day? That represents 3,500 individual rigs running WUProp. Do you even think we even have that many active crunchers currently?

Duke of Buckingham
05-17-11, 05:19 AM
7.000/50=140 I think. so it is 140 computers once each computer can run one task at a time. Is my account correct? :D 140 is very different from 3500. Are 140 there machines not running WUProp at this momment? A lot of people just dont do this nci projects. Call the T E A M to do it once is a project that you just run and isnt so heavy in memory and near zero at cpu. o->

Duke

trigggl
05-17-11, 07:26 AM
The amd twins are on it.

Maxwell
05-17-11, 09:34 AM
Yeah, Duke's math is right, DrPop. 7k = 140 rigs

Dandasarge
05-17-11, 10:02 AM
WU doesn't always add up. I have 7 computers that I know run 24/7 and another 2-3 part timers but never dose it seem that i'm getting more then 300 points.

Max I'll work on something. As long winded as I am I'm not a vary good writer.

Maxwell
05-17-11, 10:09 AM
Awesome, and no worries - I'm a much better editor than straight up writer. ;)

trigggl
05-17-11, 01:28 PM
WU doesn't always add up. I have 7 computers that I know run 24/7 and another 2-3 part timers but never dose it seem that i'm getting more then 300 points.

Just to be sure everyone knows and not assuming this is what's happening to you. You have to crunch a project in addition to WUProp to get credit. If you're not crunching something else, WUProp doesn't have anything to benchmark.

DrPop
05-17-11, 01:55 PM
Just to be sure everyone knows and not assuming this is what's happening to you. You have to crunch a project in addition to WUProp to get credit. If you're not crunching something else, WUProp doesn't have anything to benchmark.

Ah, I see! Didn't know that bit about it...well, 140 computers is much better sounding, for sure. ;)

OK - well, when we get the email blaster going here shortly, let's blast whatever DanDaSarge and Maxwell come up with -- out to the team! :cool:

Duke of Buckingham
05-17-11, 02:22 PM
There is something about WUProp the task is given for each Boinc running. If you have two cores and divide your disk and put a core runing one side and the other runing other would be 70 computers of course you must do it all as if you have 2 computer and download 2 Boincs. Yea to much work for 50 points. and carefull not to swapp memory to much or you would lose more than you want. There was something about dividing supermicro memories and Cpu. Well was to long ago. Someone must know it better than me. Is it possible? Just curious.

denim
05-23-11, 06:22 PM
I have 2 boxes on it now.