PDA

View Full Version : Milkyway: Milkyway@Home for iPhone / iOS released

RSS
04-01-11, 02:09 AM
Milkyway@Home (separation) 0.56 is now available for iOS 4 devices! http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/download/random_stuff/MilkywayiOSScreenshot-small.png For some reason they didn't allow this on the app store, so if you want to install it you have to jailbreak. How to install MilkyWay@Home on iOS: 1. Jailbreak your device. There are many guides - Google for your device model and version of your software (Settings -> General -> About) 2. Start Cydia after jailbreaking. Allow it to Upgrade Everything. 3. Go to Manage -> Sources -> Edit -> Add and type in: http://phajas.xen.prgmr.com/repo 4. Search for "Milkyway" and install the "Milkyway" package. The description is "Model the galaxy!" 5. Now, on your homescreen, you will find a Milkyway icon for MilkyWay@Home on your device. Tap it to get started. 6. Tap the "Start" button to begin computing. The device checkpoints if you leave. 7. Once done, send your results (via email) You're done!

More... (http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/forum_thread.php?id=2303)

DrPop
04-01-11, 02:28 AM
Well...there ya go. Greg, you can OFFICIALLY crunch on your phone now. Remember last year this was a pipe-dream? :D

Maxwell
04-01-11, 03:16 AM
Stupid Apple market dominance...

Dandasarge
04-01-11, 07:10 AM
No one like us Android guys!
I know a guy that rebuilds these things I could prob get some cheep phones with broken screens but I don't think the credit will be worth the time.
Maybe someone on the team will do this and tell me what the credit is.

rgathright
04-01-11, 08:32 AM
No one like us Android guys!
I know a guy that rebuilds these things I could prob get some cheep phones with broken screens but I don't think the credit will be worth the time.
Maybe someone on the team will do this and tell me what the credit is.

Exactly, what are the credits?

Also, can you get an iPhone on the internet without buying a service contract? If so, I can see plugging a bunch of these into my solar array farm. My inverter has a usb charging port that can keep the phones powered on solar power all day and night. :cool:

Dandasarge
04-01-11, 10:01 AM
Exactly, what are the credits?

Also, can you get an iPhone on the internet without buying a service contract? If so, I can see plugging a bunch of these into my solar array farm. My inverter has a usb charging port that can keep the phones powered on solar power all day and night. :cool:

Yes, you can use Wifi. I got one for my kids got a better deal on an Iphone then I could get an Itouch for them. You can do everything on an Iphone. I even skype on it over wifi like a normal phone. As long as you have wifi they work fine. The iphone 3's have arm11 400mhz iphone 4's have 800mhz so its not going to be that fast. More like the speed of an atom then the speed of a cell I think.

I would love to see the credit though! I would be stretching it to think it would give 300 a day.