PDA

View Full Version : Ventura, California fire

DrPop
12-05-17, 02:00 PM
Just in case anyone is watching on the news, we're OK so far, looks like the fire reached within a couple miles of the office. Acupuncturist had to evacuate and spend the night, lots of patients and friends affected for sure, but so far everyone we know personally is alright. Winds at 60 mph gusts, fire has grown to 48,000 acres in less than 12 hours. I know Bryan can relate unfortunately, it's amazing how fast these things move!
Will keep you all posted, needless to say my crunches are down...

shiva
12-05-17, 02:45 PM
sorry it is so close, be safe

Al
12-05-17, 03:38 PM
Just in case anyone is watching on the news, we're OK so far, looks like the fire reached within a couple miles of the office. Acupuncturist had to evacuate and spend the night, lots of patients and friends affected for sure, but so far everyone we know personally is alright. Winds at 60 mph gusts, fire has grown to 48,000 acres in less than 12 hours. I know Bryan can relate unfortunately, it's amazing how fast these things move!
Will keep you all posted, needless to say my crunches are down...Jed, be safe and get out earlier as opposed to later.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

c303a
12-05-17, 05:04 PM
+1 Don't wait until the last minute to get out if necessary.

Bryan
12-05-17, 05:07 PM
Don't take any chances Jed and don't wait to be told to evacuate. You need to keep a watch on it. With those kind of winds it is very unpredictable and the embers can remain airborne for literally miles. They are big chunks that can start fires wherever they land!

BE SAFE and if push comes to shove remember "stuff" can be replaced but you and the family can't! :D

On the plus side, the insurance company will update all the computers =))

DrPop
12-05-17, 06:06 PM
Thank you all for the kind thoughts. Good news, we've been told the fire has split and begun changing direction, so 2 miles away might be as close as it gets to us. Unfortunately for the people we know in Ojai, the fire is now headed in their direction, burning at a rate of one acre per minute. That's insane stuff...

purplecfh
12-05-17, 06:36 PM
Keep an eye on things 2 miles is too close for comfort, and I wouldn't be sleeping much tonight, be safe!

shiva
12-05-17, 06:44 PM
glad to hear things are improving for you, too bad it means getting worse for someone else. 1 acre per minute is fast.

Justgeo1
12-05-17, 09:15 PM
Wildfire is nothing to mess with... get out if needed. Be safe, my friend! %%-

John P. Myers
12-05-17, 10:09 PM
At an acre a minute, assuming it's square, it can traverse those 2 miles in just 50 minutes, worst case. Wise to leave, at least for reasons of air quality. Good time for a vacation :)

Al
12-06-17, 04:46 PM
Jed...??? Any update? Looks bad in Ventura

Al
12-07-17, 12:52 PM
Jed...??? Any update? Looks bad in Ventura

Sent from my VS501 using TapatalkUpdate via text from Jed:

Hi Al! Thanks, yes we're alright, fire stopped about 2 miles from our office and then turned. Big time winds out there right now fanning it, but headed North of us, so it seems we're out of the line of fire now. All schools, etc shut down and smoke was crazy yesterday, but wind has blown it out today so starting to clear up where we are again. Thanks for checking in!

DrPop
12-08-17, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes, doing alright so far. Lots of smoke now, since there are fires north and south of here now, and the wind just died down so it's kind of just filling in like pea soup on there and no wind to blow it away. Should help the fires slow down their spread though.
I *think* the immediate danger to Ventura and Ojai should be about over, the big part of the Thomas Fire has moved up north toward Carpentaria and Santa Barbara now. Not sure how the southern fires are doing below us in size, but sure getting some smoke from them, so we'll see.
I had one cruncher running for a bit when we got power back to the house, but I'm keeping them mostly off because of spikes in the electricity and also didn't want to put any strain on they system that I don't have to.