PDA

View Full Version : Reason

joker
04-02-11, 06:34 PM
Ok, I remember threads asking when you joined the team but none about what brought you to the team in the first place. Wondering how you guys found out about the team and what compelled you to join.

DrPop
04-04-11, 02:56 AM
Huh, no bites yet? Well, I guess I'll go first.

"A long, long, time ago...I can still remember when...SETI used to make me smile...and I knew that if I had the chance, I could make those E.T.s dance, and maybe we'd all get along for awhile..." \:D/

When I was in undergrad college up in Fairbanks, Alaska, I was involved in crunching SETI before BOINC was invented. I guess they now refer to that as "SETI Classic". That account I gave Kat is linked to my old one there. I was on a USA SETI team at that point.

Fast forward several years of college and life, to sometime in 2008, I decided to turn my rig onto crunching SETI@home again. A lot had changed in the D.C. world, but I didn't know it at the time. I downloaded BOINC, and joined SETI.USA - actually thinking it was the old USA SETI@home team I used to be on, LOL! :p
I then crunched exculsively SETI@home off and on for quite a while, with an old P4 rig, and then on my old Dual Xeon (P4) server rig. This netted me whatever points I have in SETI to this day - I haven't really crunched it after what I'd call my "awakening". I was not active on the boards or with the team in any other capacity than crunching SETI in the background until sometime in early 2010 when I got an email with a call to arms for a "PG Challenge". What the heck is that, I thought? Oooooh boy...that email changed the course of the next year in my life. :)

The awakening happened when we lost a PG Challenge to S.G. by only 14K in March 2010. That disgusted me so much, I got active on the boards, went out and bought my first real crunching GPU - a 4870 at Fry's, and I've been hooked ever since! And, well, as they say - the rest is history. :D

Dandasarge
04-04-11, 08:51 AM
It all started back in 2002-2003. A friend of mine came over for a Lan party. His screen saver was the classic SETI. He talked some smack so I had to get crunching so I could kick his butt. I became a member of SETI USA and for the record to everyone the original SETI USA became US-Distributed at the form of BONIC.

I was away for a while with life stuff, wars and such. When I got back on BONIC US-Distributed was pretty much gone. Maybe 5-10 active people but there was a post it was from Tank Master I believe, but could have been SargeD about the merging of all USA teams to take on the world. With US-Distributed falling back every day and SETI.USA wanting to move up something I didn’t feel they were interested in I came over to SETI.USA.

It was sometime late 2007 when I started crunching Under SETI.USA. I mostly crunched Rosetta but joined in races now and again. Some where in there I had a long drawn out battle for my kids that took pretty much everything out of me and I went inactive.

I won that battle and get them for the next 15 years. That stress is now gone, Lawyer money is now parts money. I still have a few other expensive hobbies that have to share the same money pool but this is where I’m at for now.

Bok
04-04-11, 09:12 AM
I was part of US-Distributed too before moving on..

I was away for a while with life stuff, wars and such. When I got back on BONIC US-Distributed was pretty much gone. Maybe 5-10 active people but there was a post it was from Tank Master I believe, but could have been SargeD about the merging of all USA teams to take on the world. With US-Distributed falling back every day and SETI.USA wanting to move up something I didn’t feel they were interested in I came over to SETI.USA.

joker
04-22-11, 12:19 AM
Bumping.....

zombie67
04-22-11, 12:39 AM
I am pretty sure I posted why in the thread back on the old site. Anyone got a link?

joker
04-24-11, 08:11 PM
Just a light.

NJCaNS
04-24-11, 11:07 PM
Just a light.I see a dim light in the distance. I'm walking towards it.....

Maxwell
04-24-11, 11:20 PM
I see a dim light in the distance. I'm walking towards it.....
1. Are you in a tunnel? If so, is the light getting closer at a rapid rate? If yes, find a wall, and make yourself as flat against it as possible.
2. Are you in a coma? If so, do you want to die? If yes, continue walking towards it. If not, run away from the light.
3. Are you lost in the middle of nowhere? If yes, light usually leads to civilization.

joker
04-24-11, 11:22 PM
Walking towards the light..................Oh Crap!! Its a train! b-)

Fire$torm
04-24-11, 11:35 PM
Walking towards the light..................Oh Crap!! Its a train! b-)

Toot Toot!! I think I can, I think I can.....

Maxwell
04-24-11, 11:41 PM
Toot Toot!! I think I can, I think I can.....
The little known autobiography of the Little Engine That Could: "I Think I Can: How I Overcame the Depression of Running Over a Man to Once Again Rule the Railway"

NJCaNS
04-24-11, 11:41 PM
1. Are you in a tunnel? If so, is the light getting closer at a rapid rate? If yes, find a wall, and make yourself as flat against it as possible.
2. Are you in a coma? If so, do you want to die? If yes, continue walking towards it. If not, run away from the light.
3. Are you lost in the middle of nowhere? If yes, light usually leads to civilization.

More like in a fog. |-)

Now we should give this post back to its original purpose.

joker
04-25-11, 12:13 AM
Fully hijacked! :cool: