PDA

View Full Version : Barebone Kit

Ricky Moore
04-06-11, 10:39 AM
I work at a trash site where people bring in trash to get rid of and sometimes they throw things out because they buy something better or just don't want it anymore.

Last Friday someone came in with a Computer and was about to throw it into the Compactor to be crushed when I asked if I could have it. I normally just take them apart and use the screws and things.

I opened it up and started chasing dust bunnies and got to looking at it and here is some info about it:

MB = MS-7173 VER 1A RC410M
4 SATA slots
2 IDE slots
1 FDD slot
2 PCI slots
1 PCIe X16 slot
1 Video slot (black)

MEM = 2GB
PSU = 400 watts

1 FDD
1 DVD/CD RW
Card Reader = Ultra XC-28U

There is a speaker wire unpluged but I can't find on the MB where it plugs in at.

It also looks like they used a RGB Monitor because that is the only thing attached to the MB going to the top Slot in the back. The MB does have a standard Video Out on the back.

I would need to install a HDD and OS to see what this thing can do if you guys think this is worth it. I have no clue as to the CPU installed I have not removed the CPU Fan.
Speaking of fans there are 3 of them 1 pulling in air from the front and 1 pushing the air out the back. The CPU fan has a tube over it that make the air from it go out the side of the case.

Info from the case:

Barebones MB RC410M-L
7173BB-010

So is this thing worth keeping to run BOINC? I have a copy of XP Home that was in the old TigerDirect system that I could install in it if it will run in it.

Crazybob's Son
04-06-11, 11:20 AM
I would say go for it. Considering the motherboard (http://www.deal-stop.com/MBD002022_MSI-MOTHERBOARD-MSI-RC410-UATX-LEAD-FREE.lmsp?refer=froogle) has a PCI-e slot, that is one more spot you can put a video card w/out having to go out and buy a whole new setup.

It looks like the board is limited to the 2GB of RAM.

You may want to eventually upgrade the PSU depending on the size of the video card you add but all in all a good find IMHO.

Ricky Moore
04-06-11, 11:55 AM
I would say go for it. Considering the motherboard (http://www.deal-stop.com/MBD002022_MSI-MOTHERBOARD-MSI-RC410-UATX-LEAD-FREE.lmsp?refer=froogle) has a PCI-e slot, that is one more spot you can put a video card w/out having to go out and buy a whole new setup.

It looks like the board is limited to the 2GB of RAM.

You may want to eventually upgrade the PSU depending on the size of the video card you add but all in all a good find IMHO.

What I was thinking of is to just get it running and if it is any good it can replace my two Single core Laptop that are on their last leg. There is a good chance that the CPU in there is a duel CPU. However from what I have read XP Home does not support a duel CPU so I would have to get a copy of XP Pro from somewhere.

Steve Bohlen
04-06-11, 12:30 PM
What about linux? I have 2 linux machines crunching right now that were destined for the trash. Playing with linux may help you make a decision about this project without investing any money.

Gopher_FreeDC
04-06-11, 02:31 PM
Hmm yeah Linux for sure, XP home doesn't support dual too well..

JerWA
04-06-11, 02:48 PM
Here's the product page for the motherboard:

http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=228

Fire$torm
04-06-11, 04:30 PM
What about linux? I have 2 linux machines crunching right now that were destined for the trash. Playing with linux may help you make a decision about this project without investing any money.

Also Linux is not nearly the memory resource hog XP is which will help with any BOINC project that uses lots of memory (If that project supports Linux of course).

Ubuntu 10.04 x64 would be good for a novice Linux user. Gentoo will run better but it needs to be compiled from source code. Meaning you have to "Roll Your Own" Gentoo. Haven't tried it myself, yet.

DrPop
04-06-11, 06:01 PM
I could mail you a copy of XP Pro & a legit key that I don't use anymore. Just a thought. Might play around with an Ubuntu install though, really a nice OS and can't go wrong there. It'll probably crunch faster on the Linux OS if the source code is compiled properly on the project end.
So all you need is a HDD? I'm sure we could find you a used one somewhere on the team here or we can all pitch in a little if needed and you could get one. I say: "Go for it!"

Go team! I love it when a plan comes together. I remember you saying the lappy was on its way out...this would be a good replacement, and someday a GPU in there, and it will get way more points/day than the two lappies could ever dream of! :D

Fire$torm
04-06-11, 09:18 PM
I could mail you a copy of XP Pro & a legit key that I don't use anymore. Just a thought. Might play around with an Ubuntu install though, really a nice OS and can't go wrong there. It'll probably crunch faster on the Linux OS if the source code is compiled properly on the project end.
So all you need is a HDD? I'm sure we could find you a used one somewhere on the team here or we can all pitch in a little if needed and you could get one. I say: "Go for it!"

Go team! I love it when a plan comes together. I remember you saying the lappy was on its way out...this would be a good replacement, and someday a GPU in there, and it will get way more points/day than the two lappies could ever dream of! :D

No need to snail mail it. I could fire up my FTP server and he could download it and burn it to disk or use WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 Beta 7 / 0.2.3 (DL from here (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/120444-how-to-install-windows-from-usb-winsetupfromusb-with-gui/) or here (http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/System-Enhancements/WinSetupFromUSB.shtml)) and install from a thumb drive.

Then all you have to do is email him the Key.

My UP/Down Speeds
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1240086225.png

Crazybob
04-06-11, 09:22 PM
If need be, I'm sure I have an extra 20 or 40 GB HD laying around here. I have a stack of 15 by my feet right now, just not sure of their worth. Will need to evaluate 1 of them. Let me know.

JerWA
04-06-11, 09:46 PM
No need to snail mail it. I could fire up my FTP server and he could download it and burn it to disk or use WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 Beta 7 / 0.2.3 (DL from here (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/120444-how-to-install-windows-from-usb-winsetupfromusb-with-gui/) or here (http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/System-Enhancements/WinSetupFromUSB.shtml)) and install from a thumb drive.

Then all you have to do is email him the Key.

My UP/Down Speeds
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1240086225.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1240117742.png
^ I'm going to have to send Frontier hatemail, my upload is off pace.:mad:

Fire$torm
04-06-11, 10:28 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1240117742.png
^ I'm going to have to send Frontier hatemail, my upload is off pace.:mad:

Nice UP speed. Unfortunately for me this part of Michigan is considered a technically repressed market (My term). Way too close to Detroit :(

Example: We went back to Comcast recently and they originally installed an ARRIS gateway with a Netgear WNR1000N router. The Netgear sucks goats. So after two days of me complaining they installed the Xfinity Gateway, an SMC SMCD3GNV EZ Connect, that they advertise on their website. We are the FIRST residents in this market area to get it!!!! How lame is that?

Sorry for the hijack. I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.....

DrPop
04-06-11, 11:30 PM
F$ - OK, so...you want me to make an ISO file from that Windows XP Pro CD and then upload it to your server?

Ricky - If you want this install of XP Pro, PM me and I will email you the key.

joker
04-07-11, 07:10 PM
The Netgear sucks goats

I think I have heard that someplace before...... :D

DrPop
04-07-11, 07:29 PM
I think I have heard that someplace before...... :D

hahaha!!!........=))..........we sure got that "goat thang" going on with this team!

Fire$torm
04-07-11, 08:50 PM
F$ - OK, so...you want me to make an ISO file from that Windows XP Pro CD and then upload it to your server?

Ricky - If you want this install of XP Pro, PM me and I will email you the key.

Nope. I already have ISO's of XP Home, XP Pro w/ SP2, XP Pro w/ SP3, XP Pro x64 w/SP2. I also have Vista x64 and all the versions of Win7 x64. Pick one :D

joker
04-07-11, 09:01 PM
Nope. I already have ISO's of XP Home, XP Pro w/ SP2, XP Pro w/ SP3, XP Pro x64 w/SP2. I also have Vista x64 and all the versions of Win7 x64. Pick one

This sounds a little weird coming from another guy F$, but I want to get into your server. ;) Any of those Win7's bootable?

Fire$torm
04-07-11, 09:13 PM
This sounds a little weird coming from another guy F$, but I want to get into your server. ;) Any of those Win7's bootable?

They all are. I also have Win2K and Win98 somewhere... Plus other stuff :D

Edit: BTW - You can install Win7 without a key and use it for 30 days. M$ FINALLY woke up and realized that they would get more authentic users by building Windows as trialware. Only took them 30 years........

JerWA
04-08-11, 03:44 AM
They all are. I also have Win2K and Win98 somewhere... Plus other stuff :D

Edit: BTW - You can install Win7 without a key and use it for 30 days. M$ FINALLY woke up and realized that they would get more authentic users by building Windows as trialware. Only took them 30 years........

Actually you can run it for 120 days using rearms:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/11/06/how-to-rearm-and-extend-free-usage-activation-grace-period-of-windows-7-to-120-days/

Hacking the registry key that keeps count might work forever as well:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/05/05/unlimited-rearm-windows-7-for-forever-usage-without-crack-with-infiniterearm4-or-windows7-rearmtask4/

But, this stuff usually gets fixed over time, so I'm not sure that the unlimited rearm thing still works (or will work with SP1). The 3-times rearm thing is legit and intentional, so you've definitely got at least 120 days (assuming you did it on the last day of the 30 day trial each time, since left over days are just lost).

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you're looking for a good price, get together with a friend or two and buy a family pack key for Win 7. It's like $150 for 3 keys. Or you can always find someone in college to buy you the $30 student upgrade version if you know how to make it into a custom iso that will install clean instead of just upgrade. Lotsa options. ;)

Fire$torm
04-08-11, 09:51 AM
Actually you can run it for 120 days using rearms:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/11/06/how-to-rearm-and-extend-free-usage-activation-grace-period-of-windows-7-to-120-days/

Hacking the registry key that keeps count might work forever as well:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/05/05/unlimited-rearm-windows-7-for-forever-usage-without-crack-with-infiniterearm4-or-windows7-rearmtask4/

But, this stuff usually gets fixed over time, so I'm not sure that the unlimited rearm thing still works (or will work with SP1). The 3-times rearm thing is legit and intentional, so you've definitely got at least 120 days (assuming you did it on the last day of the 30 day trial each time, since left over days are just lost).

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you're looking for a good price, get together with a friend or two and buy a family pack key for Win 7. It's like $150 for 3 keys. Or you can always find someone in college to buy you the $30 student upgrade version if you know how to make it into a custom iso that will install clean instead of just upgrade. Lotsa options. ;)

Rearm? Never saw that one. Cool!!! \m/

The family pack is a really good way to save money but it has an undisclosed limited time of availability. So if your gonna go that route act soon as M$ will pull it without notice.

JerWA
04-08-11, 10:30 AM
Rearm? Never saw that one. Cool!!! \m/

The family pack is a really good way to save money but it has an undisclosed limited time of availability. So if your gonna go that route act soon as M$ will pull it without notice.

The funny thing is they canceled the family packs already once, but so many people yelled that they brought it back a few months later. Makes for a good deal for sure.

I've told lots of people, but if you run Windows you might as well just pony up for Win 7. It's the next XP, you'll be running it for 10 years, so just get it over with. =))

Ricky Moore
04-08-11, 12:56 PM
OK, I can do the downloads tomorrow when I go to the library to use their hi-speed. Never done anything like this so I may need some help!

I think I have about a 40 GB HDD that has 98se on it.... I would have to reformat it.

Fire$torm
04-08-11, 09:48 PM
OK, I can do the downloads tomorrow when I go to the library to use their hi-speed. Never done anything like this so I may need some help!

I think I have about a 40 GB HDD that has 98se on it.... I would have to reformat it.

I just hope the library allows for 3.5 GigaByte Downloads because thats how large the image of Win7 is.

40 GB HDD is a decent size. If you are talking about installing Win7 then yes you will have to reformat it. Win98 used FAT32 for the HDD file system and Win7 uses the latest version of NTFS. You can just let the Win7 installer do it for you.

Fire$torm
04-09-11, 01:19 PM
&^*&%$$^_^%$##%^())%%^#%#^$@

Bad news. My desktop has been in need of a reinstall for some time now and last night it fragged itself while I was trying to figure out a workaround for Comcast's block of incoming FTP connections. So I'll be offline the rest of the weekend.

Ricky Moore
04-09-11, 04:54 PM
Well as it turned out I was not able to go to the Libary due to the weather and by the time the weather cleared up they had closed.

Whenever I re-install Windows i go there to do all the updates and there are some BIG files, so far not had any trouble.

That MB can run 98se and Windows ME but not using the SATA Drives... only the IDE connectors. 98/ME can use SATA drives as DATA drives only!

I am hoping to do it the other way around and use the IDE Drives for storage!

I am wondering what project that system can handle if I gave BOINC the a whole drive for it's own use?

DrPop
04-10-11, 03:11 AM
Could you please just let me know how to get you XP Pro? Please don't resort to running 98 these days...it is truly outdated, and there is no reason when I can give a real key - I probably even have 3 - that I paid good money for, and no longer use. We are a team afterall, and a team is about helping each other reach maximum efficiency and fun! ;)

Beerdrinker
04-10-11, 03:29 AM
Could you please just let me know how to get you XP Pro? Please don't resort to running 98 these days...it is truly outdated, and there is no reason when I can give a real key - I probably even have 3 - that I paid good money for, and no longer use. We are a team afterall, and a team is about helping each other reach maximum efficiency and fun! ;)

AMEN!! Wish the world were full of people like you..!

Ricky Moore
04-10-11, 07:26 AM

No not thinking of running 98se. I was just saying what the MB could run and how. I have to say that I never had to much trouble with 98SE. However ME was another ball game I soon removed it and put 98se in it's place!

As far as XP Pro if you wish to send it here is the address:

The only thing this system will be used for is running BOINC that is why I had plan on getting a 2nd HDD just for BOINC to use.

I have even thought of putting in the old case from TigerDirect.com but that is one of those "full" towers and this MB would not need all those slots.

Since this system has only 2 PCI slots I will need to install a modem in one of them.

I just hope everything works! I have not plugged it in yet!

DrPop
04-12-11, 11:34 AM
OK, thanks for the reply, Ricky. Just checking back in on the thread here. I will ship a copy of the XP Pro CD and my (now unused) key to you at that address.
EDIT: I see that you normally go to the library for your "big" files to download. I will download the XP Service pack stand alone files and put them on another CD for you as well. This will save some serious library time.

I hope it all runs too! More points for you = more points for my favorite team! :D:cool:

Ricky Moore
04-12-11, 07:16 PM
Got a Case in this past Thursday with a 13.6 GB HDD! Wonder what that would be good for?

joker
04-12-11, 07:58 PM
Got a Case in this past Thursday with a 13.6 GB HDD! Wonder what that would be good for?

A flash drive. ;)

Ricky Moore
04-13-11, 08:33 AM
I was just thinking ....

It would be nice if Windows would fit on that drive and then I could use a 2nd drive to install programs.

Put by the time you format this Drive it may only be about 10GB so unless Windows will fit under 10GB I don't see any use for this Drive.... other then more storage!

JerWA
04-13-11, 11:12 AM
Besides that small of a drive is going to be old and slow, you wouldn't want to use it for anything.

Fire$torm
04-13-11, 11:59 AM
Besides that small of a drive is going to be old and slow, you wouldn't want to use it for anything.

For Windows true. For Linux you could make it work, even with BOINC. You could try Dotsch_UX. (http://www.dotsch.de/boinc/Dotsch_UX.html)

DrPop
04-13-11, 12:56 PM
I would make it the swap file drive. Go ahead and install it, and remove your swap file from drive C, and put it on this second drive. It will probably speed up the computer a tiny bit, and what's more, it will lower the constant thrashing on the C drive! ;)

Ricky Moore
04-19-11, 06:27 AM
Got another desktop in at work Friday.... this one was a old Compaq with just 64MB of mem. It had a 30GB HDD and so I took the HDD. Going to see if the Drive works and when I get the XP Pro disc I will install it on there and power up that "Barebones Kit" and see how many cir breakers it trips!

The PC I got Friday only had a CD Rom and a FDD and 1 HDD. It had a place for another HDD and 1 slot for another FDD/Zip Drive and 1 slot for another 3.5 inch drive. This unit only had about a 150 Watt PSU. There were 2 PCI slots and a AGP slot. It was a nice Case but no place for any other fan. In fact there was only the fan for the CPU mounted on the heat sink and the fan from the PSU.

You could I guess use one of those fans that uses a PCI slot but the only open slot was at the bottom and most of the heat would be going to the top of the PC Case.

In fact I have on of those in my D820 that is just above my video card. In fact it pulls air from that card and out the the back of the unit. So I guess it helps keep the GPU cool???

Anyway can't wait to see what goodies come in this week!

Bok
04-19-11, 08:17 AM
Ricky,

If you ever get a chance to come over to the Raleigh area, I've got a whole bunch of stuff you could have...

Mainly dualcore athlons in mobos, but I do also have a dual cpu Xeon motherboard with 2 old Nocona 3.6 xeons in. Bunch of monitors too.

I've been slowly taking all of this down to the local recycling place or just throwing it out.

Bok

Ricky Moore
04-19-11, 06:22 PM
No thanks, in most cases for the most part I just take these and I keep screws for the drives and sometimes I my keep the HDD if I find them useful. I may even keep a cable if I need one. Once I remove all screws I need I normally take it back to work and throw it away.

I have no room for to much! I would love to find a 5.25 FDD because I was thinking of fixing one up for DOS 5.0 and speaking of DOS I would like to find a way to remove DOS from 98SE to upgrade the 5.0. I saw something somewhere online on how to do that but not been able to find it again.

Beerdrinker
04-21-11, 04:15 AM
Ricky,

If you ever get a chance to come over to the Raleigh area, I've got a whole bunch of stuff you could have...

Mainly dualcore athlons in mobos, but I do also have a dual cpu Xeon motherboard with 2 old Nocona 3.6 xeons in. Bunch of monitors too.

I've been slowly taking all of this down to the local recycling place or just throwing it out.

Bok

Dual-Core athlons paired with a GPU will make a fine cruncher....Why not try donate some to others? Damn shame to throw out such good stuff. If only single cores I could understand.....

Ricky Moore
05-06-11, 04:06 PM
UPDATE!!

Got the Disc for XP Pro, Thanks.... Just not had time to work on it. I am hoping to get it up and running before the end of the PG Race to see how it does. May not get all the updates installed but as long as I get BOINC installed the other can download while BOINC is running and still be able to upload.

During the time that Windows is updating should I set BOINC to use just 1 core???

Fire$torm
05-06-11, 04:50 PM
UPDATE!!

Got the Disc for XP Pro, Thanks.... Just not had time to work on it. I am hoping to get it up and running before the end of the PG Race to see how it does. May not get all the updates installed but as long as I get BOINC installed the other can download while BOINC is running and still be able to upload.

During the time that Windows is updating should I set BOINC to use just 1 core???

You are better off NOT doing any Windows updates until after the challenge or shut down BOINC until you finish all the updates. Quite a few of the updates require a reboot. And there are some that be corrupted if you are running CPU intensive apps.

Windows Update note:
Since the MS update site does not do a good job of installing all its updates in chronological order you can run into problems on a fresh install of XP. This has happened to me a number of times.

So whats the fix?? The very first update you should get is the "Windows Installer version 4.5". This is the Windows utility that the OS uses to install any software and many of the Windows updates require this version. You can DL from MS DL Center here. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4)

Version Listing

Windows XP Professional/Windows Server 2003 - 64 bit: WindowsServer2003-KB942288-v4-x64.exe

Windows XP Professional/Windows Server 2003 - 32 bit: WindowsServer2003-KB942288-v4-x86.exe

Windows XP Home Edition - 32 bit: WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe