PDA

View Full Version : GPUs freaking out a little on me...help?

DrPop
04-06-11, 03:29 PM
Guys, I'm a bit unsure what's going on with the DrPop rig today. I can't afford any more fires and rebuilds right now, LOL! :p

I'm getting this message: GPUs have become unsuable; disabling tasks.

What the heck is that supposed to mean? Rig "seems normal" I mean fans going like crazy here in the back room, and you can surf the 'net on it, do anything normal...with this exception I just noticed. If you right click on the desktop and then click on "Catalyst" for the control center, it never comes up.

This is the AMD 1100T CPU on ASRock Deluxe 4 mobo w/ 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM. No O/C on any of that. Running ATI HD5870 with mild O/C, and NVIDIA GTX 465 with mild O/C.

Ideas? I'm a bit stumped and running out of steam after having to rebuild Kat's rig last night for the new GPU in there...arrgghhh...two nights of 1 to 2 AM in a row, and I'm gonna sound like a Pirate these days, LOL!;)

Dandasarge
04-06-11, 03:37 PM
that's not normal? ohhh I can't wait for someone to fix this :)

Bok
04-06-11, 03:37 PM
Have you remote desktop'd in at all ? I remember an issue where it would show that message from the boinc dev mailing list due to RDP.

Fire$torm
04-06-11, 03:48 PM
Have you remote desktop'd in at all ? I remember an issue where it would show that message from the boinc dev mailing list due to RDP.

++1 Bok has the scent alright.

Also, if you installed BOINC in Protected application execution mode, it screws up Windows so the video driver(s) get disabled.

Dandasarge
04-06-11, 04:59 PM
++1 Bok has the scent alright.

Also, if you installed BOINC in Protected application execution mode, it screws up Windows so the video driver(s) get disabled.

Yes this is my issue. how do I fix that,

DrPop
04-06-11, 05:07 PM
You are the Man! I've never seen this happen before, and guess what I did last night? I remote desktopped from Kat's rig into the DrPop rig...Go figure.

So, next question: Do I need to reset anything in Windows now? Or just shut it off and turn it back on, and will that reset everything automatically?

Thanks guys. I was really a bit concerned there for a few hours here; that rig alone represents probably close to 700K or so / day of output for the team now, once DNETC is back online.

joker
04-06-11, 05:10 PM
Just throw it out in the driveway and start over. ;)

Bok
04-06-11, 05:21 PM
yup, reboot should fix it ;)

DrPop
04-06-11, 05:24 PM
Just throw it out in the driveway and start over. ;)

LoL! :D And shoot myself while I'm at it! :p

Thanks BOK - rebooting now, Cap'n.

joker
04-06-11, 05:38 PM
And shoot myself while I'm at it!

Only AFTER you ship some stuff. :p

DrPop
04-06-11, 05:53 PM
Only AFTER you ship some stuff. :p

Hahaha...I'll have to work that out in my will somehow. If I die due to unforeseen circumstances, the $tash in account XYZ is to ship all the computer hardware to Joker's address! ;) :D

Update on the GPUs: Looks like it's crunching away again after the reboot. Well, no more remote desktop for me, then. I guess it wasn't that big of a problem after all, but when you see a message like that...your mind starts goin' "Uh-oh! I can't replace those two points hounds anytime soon!" :p

Thanks for the help. I'm going to use LogMeIn on the DrPop rig from now on.

joker
04-06-11, 06:01 PM
And after all that hard work.......DNETC AND MW are both down. Is there a conspiracy here???

DrPop
04-06-11, 06:18 PM
And after all that hard work.......DNETC AND MW are both down. Is there a conspiracy here???

I blame it all on the liberal media. Oh, and double bummer that I don't have Collatz on either rig right now. What's the world coming to?

Maxwell
04-06-11, 06:25 PM
If you are going to remote in like that, try TeamViewer or something similar that doesn't break the GPU crunching...%%-

Glad nothing was wrong!

EDIT: I'm slow. I just saw you say Logmein. Good pop!

joker
04-06-11, 06:28 PM
What's the world coming to? Hmmm, a new project perhaps?? End of the world prediction!

zombie67
04-06-11, 08:06 PM
If you are going to remote in like that, try TeamViewer or something similar that doesn't break the GPU crunching...%%-

Glad nothing was wrong!

EDIT: I'm slow. I just saw you say Logmein. Good pop!

I recommend a nice free VNC, such as ultraVNC.

Fire$torm
04-06-11, 08:54 PM
.....Update on the GPUs: Looks like it's crunching away again after the reboot. Well, no more remote desktop for me, then. I guess it wasn't that big of a problem after all, but when you see a message like that...your mind starts goin' "Uh-oh! I can't replace those two points hounds anytime soon!" :p

Thanks for the help. I'm going to use LogMeIn on the DrPop rig from now on.

I recommend a nice free VNC, such as ultraVNC.

+++1 I use it everyday. LogMeIn works but I do not like the idea of "ET Phone Home" software.

For BOINC, a reinstall without the Protected Mode stuff should help fix your problem.

Crazybob
04-06-11, 09:03 PM
You guys are good. That was some fast detective work. I think I know why MW doesn't have any work. I noticed at lunch, it was back, so I suspended Collatz and next thing I knew, my machines DL'd hundreds of MW work units. Crunch'n away here.:)