PDA

View Full Version : GPU HELP!!

aux9o
04-06-11, 05:08 PM
I just got a new GTX 465 I installed it into my number one gpu slot. I put my old GTX 280 in the number 2. Powered up installed new drivers for the GTX 465 but windows does not see the GTX 280. I checked all power connections they are hooked up but the fan on the card is not turning.

Anybody have any suggestions for me? I was going to crunch with both cards untill I sell the gtx 280 and replaced it with another gtx 465.

joker
04-06-11, 05:21 PM
What PSU are you using?

aux9o
04-06-11, 05:25 PM
corsair hx1000w

joker
04-06-11, 05:35 PM
What MB do you have? Doe's GPU-Z show just the one card? Have you tried uninstalling the drivers, running Driver sweeper and reinstalling them?

aux9o
04-06-11, 05:42 PM
asus p5e3 MB I will try what u said

aux9o
04-06-11, 05:45 PM
GPU-Z only shows one card. I am fixin to have to leave for a while Ill try other things when i get back.

Maxwell
04-06-11, 06:01 PM
Make sure that you have actually extended the desktop onto that GPU. That's the number one culprit. What is the OS?

joker
04-06-11, 06:07 PM
Make sure that you have actually extended the desktop onto that GPU.

Always looking to learn new things. I do not understand what that means so could you explain it to me?

Maxwell
04-06-11, 06:30 PM
Always looking to learn new things. I do not understand what that means so could you explain it to me?
That's an OS-specific question. Basically, you're telling the OS that you want the screen to also be extended to that "other monitor" that is plugged into the second card. [You don't actually NEED another monitor, you just need Windows to think one is there long enough to extend the desktop and 'turn on' that card.]

joker
04-06-11, 06:44 PM
Did not know that. Thx for the info.

JerWA
04-06-11, 07:20 PM
Fan on the card not turning is fairly troubling. That should be hard coded into the BIOS on the card, any time it has power on the PCB. Does it work if you put it back in slot 1?

Fire$torm
04-06-11, 09:06 PM
If switching PCIe slots gets that card working then check the BIOS settings for the PCIe slots. If there is nothing in BIOS to change, you could try connecting the two cards together with the SLI Cable.

Crazybob
04-06-11, 09:10 PM
Does he need a dummy plug for it to be recognized? I'm wondering the same thing when I get my hardware.

joker
04-06-11, 09:22 PM
From what Max has told me, Nvidia cards dont need dummy plugs.

Fire$torm
04-06-11, 09:26 PM
From what Max has told me, Nvidia cards dont need dummy plugs.

Correctamundo

John P. Myers
04-06-11, 10:58 PM
yeah the fan should be turning whether windows recognizes the card or not. Bad slot possibly?

aux9o
04-06-11, 11:45 PM
I just got home and I have to get up early so I got to goto bed I'll check it out tomorrow.

Ok I had the GTX280 in slot 2 when I started. I installed the 465 into the 1 slot tried to turn the computer on and monitor would not turn on so I removed the 280 and left the 465 in the 1 slot. computer booted up and worked. I turned it off reinstalled the 280 into slot 1 booted up but would not show the 280 card.

I have windows 7 32 bit

JerWA
04-07-11, 12:09 AM
I just got home and I have to get up early so I got to goto bed I'll check it out tomorrow.

Ok I had the GTX280 in slot 2 when I started. I installed the 465 into the 1 slot tried to turn the computer on and monitor would not turn on so I removed the 280 and left the 465 in the 1 slot. computer booted up and worked. I turned it off reinstalled the 280 into slot 1 booted up but would not show the 280 card.

I have windows 7 32 bit
Weird that it was working before and now won't. When the 280 is the only card, does the fan spin up in either slot?

Maxwell
04-07-11, 12:09 AM

I have windows 7 32 bit
If both cards work, but won't work in a certain slot, you may have a bad slot, like what others said.

If that's not the issue, open your Nvidia control panel and make sure you activate multiple displays. Maybe someone else can give you better detail on this, but you need to make sure your desktop/screen is recognized by both cards...

DrPop
04-07-11, 12:17 AM
OK, wait a second. Can you get either card to work in either slot, if they are the ONLY card in the computer?
Try this:
Does 465 work in Slot 1 by itself? Does 465 work in slot 2 by itself?

Then try: 280 in Slot 1 by itself and 280 in slot 2 by itself.

Do all 4 of those scenarios allow you to get something on the screen when the computer turns on, or does 1 or 2 of those scenarios result in a blank screen? (Whether Windows works at this point doesn't matter; I'm talking can you see the BIOS boot up?)

aux9o
04-07-11, 11:07 PM
I still havn't had time to even check it out. I had a cousin get killed in a car wreck so I had to goto the wake and then work has been killing me. This weekend I have to go out of town for a crawfish boil and drag race. So mabey sunday I can get back on this.

Maxwell
04-07-11, 11:47 PM
I still havn't had time to even check it out. I had a cousin get killed in a car wreck so I had to goto the wake and then work has been killing me. This weekend I have to go out of town for a crawfish boil and drag race. So mabey sunday I can get back on this.
Wow. That went from "eh" to "HOLY DEAR GOD THAT'S TERRIBLE" to "that really sucks" to "awesome and cool!"

Take care of yourself and family, and get to this when you have time. Shockingly, crunching is not the most important thing in the world...

dan
04-08-11, 05:22 AM
I have two Nividia cards in one of my boxes. The second is a 210, I got when I RMA'd the GTX 580. It crunched while the 580 was gone (oh so slowly). Since the 580 is back, I can only use if for PhysX, Boinc only thinks the 580 exists.

Dan

John P. Myers
04-08-11, 08:14 AM
I have two Nividia cards in one of my boxes. The second is a 210, I got when I RMA'd the GTX 580. It crunched while the 580 was gone (oh so slowly). Since the 580 is back, I can only use if for PhysX, Boinc only thinks the 580 exists.

Dan

There is a simple way to make BOINC use that 210 as well. I'll let Maxwell explain it to you so i don't get it wrong :D

Maxwell
04-08-11, 12:38 PM

There is a simple way to make BOINC use that 210 as well. I'll let Maxwell explain it to you so i don't get it wrong :D
Thanks, JPM... ;)

You need to put the "use_all_gpus" tag in a cc_config file. Check out this FAQ item (http://setiusa.free-dc.org/vbforum/faq.php?faq=manage#faq_manage4), and it will have the info and links you need...

aux9o
05-07-11, 12:07 PM
OK, wait a second. Can you get either card to work in either slot, if they are the ONLY card in the computer?
Try this:
Does 465 work in Slot 1 by itself? Does 465 work in slot 2 by itself?

Then try: 280 in Slot 1 by itself and 280 in slot 2 by itself.

Do all 4 of those scenarios allow you to get something on the screen when the computer turns on, or does 1 or 2 of those scenarios result in a blank screen? (Whether Windows works at this point doesn't matter; I'm talking can you see the BIOS boot up?)

Ok both cards work 100% good while they are by there self. When I put in both cards only one card is detected by windows 7.

Fire$torm
05-07-11, 02:03 PM
Ok both cards work 100% good while they are by there self. When I put in both cards only one card is detected by windows 7.

Its beginning to sound like a bad motherboard.

1) Do you have 3 PCIe slots on the MB? If so you may wish to try the putting the 465 in the slot nearest the CPU and the 280 in the far slot.

2) Something else to try. If you have a SLI bridge cable you can try connecting the cards together. Use the 465 as the primary GPU first.

3) Try the cards in a different system. If they work together in that system then your MB is definitely faulty.

jeeprnovru
05-10-11, 05:57 PM
is there a ford sticker or any ford products or memorabilia any where close to the computer? remove those and perhaps place a dodge sticker on your case...that should help!

:cool:

DrPop
05-10-11, 06:03 PM
...remove [FORD] and perhaps place a dodge sticker on your case...that should help!:cool:

ROFL!!!.......=))=))=)):((:"> Now, THAT is some good advice. :D

And THIS (http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/1002dp_6_7l_cummins_diesel_engine/index.html)is the reason! ;)

Cruncher Pete
05-10-11, 06:18 PM
is there a ford sticker or any ford products or memorabilia any where close to the computer? remove those and perhaps place a dodge sticker on your case...that should help!

:cool:

It also works if you use your Jeep sticker!:-|

aux9o
05-10-11, 10:26 PM
at least my ford is still on the road!! not totaled like your 2 mopar products are!! 3:-O

joker
05-10-11, 10:32 PM
at least my ford is still on the road!!

But is it still running...... Found On Road Dead....FORD. >:)

aux9o
05-10-11, 10:34 PM
But is it still running...... Found On Road Dead....FORD. >:)

First On Race Day!!

If you ever come down to Louisiana ill show you what a fast car feels like!:cool:

DrPop
05-10-11, 10:40 PM
I have to admit I like Ford too. Good American car for a decent price these days. Say what you will about the '70's - '90's American cars, but ... Ford is actually putting out a pretty good car for our times. Look at the new 2012 Focus - 40MPG and NOT a hybrid. That's pretty cool, to my way of thinking.

But...but...but...I STILL would love to have a Dodge RAM with the Cummins - that engine is just SO cool. :cool:

jeeprnovru
05-10-11, 10:40 PM
It also works if you use your Jeep sticker!:-|

aahhhhhhhhhhh i love this place....dodge products rule teh interwebs!

aux9o
05-10-11, 10:44 PM
the new mustang 5.0 are the shit! name another car you can buy for 30k put a 5k procharger on it and make 700hp?

http://www.youtube.com/user/mustangmike001#p/u/2/9AUYai5fnQg

that is the street tune!

joker
05-10-11, 10:56 PM
Kick ass!!!!........Needs lots of gas!!!!!

John P. Myers
05-10-11, 10:57 PM
CHEVROLET -Constantly Having Every Vehicle Recalled Over Lousy Engineering Techniques

DODGE -Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive

TOYOTA -The One You Ought To Avoid

I'm a Ford man myself :D

aux9o
05-10-11, 10:58 PM
that is my best friends car! I have the car pictured in front of all the gm products in my sig. 2003 mustang cobra 450hp 470tq melts the rear tires pretty easy! :cool:

joker
05-10-11, 11:01 PM
I want to see ya in a KIA.

aux9o
05-10-11, 11:03 PM
For some reason I like car with bad gas mileage! I have a ford expedition that gets about 14mpg with my wife driving! My cobra that I only drive on the weekends and I don't even wanna know what kinda mileage it gets and I have to run 93 in it!

DrPop
05-10-11, 11:14 PM
I want to see ya in a KIA.

"What the Heck's a KIA?" ;)

joker
05-10-11, 11:26 PM
Sorry aux9o but we are just going to have to take your gas budget and put it into a few crunchers!!! ;):p=))

Maxwell
05-10-11, 11:57 PM
Nothing says "GPU Help!" quite like a discussion on the relative merits of auto makes and models...:cool:

joker
05-11-11, 12:04 AM
Nothing says "GPU Help!" quite like a discussion on the relative merits of auto makes and models...

You just WISH you had KIA!! :p

Cruncher Pete
05-11-11, 12:17 AM
For some reason I like car with bad gas mileage! I have a ford expedition that gets about 14mpg with my wife driving! My cobra that I only drive on the weekends and I don't even wanna know what kinda mileage it gets and I have to run 93 in it!

Since it was your wife who was driving that Ford it is not the car with the bad gas mileage that you like, it is your wife driving. I wish my wife would drive, I could afford to drink a couple of beers more before leaving a venue to avoid a breathalyser test.:D

Dandasarge
05-11-11, 10:51 AM
I have a little bit of everything, I'm more fond of the Fords, I have 3, nothing can beet the power of a Cummings though, Luckily Dodge isn't the only truck ever made with one :) That POS 727 can't hold up to a 4 banger, worst transmission IMO ever made. Chevy makes a solid turbo 400 with a 5.9 bolt pattern. Take that drop it in a Ford and never look back.

Family cars I think Honda's are the best. Its unlikely they will strand your wife on the side of the road. Almost any car now since like 96/97 time can be tuned any way you want. more power or more economy like any other computer they are default to "safe" settings.

If you like the jeep go with a cj-7 or earlier model. Wranglers look cooler but they have bad wiring, plagued with issues. I had a 93 in the end it burned to the ground. Nothing holds value like a used jeep, Huge following you can sell it any place in the country. If I was looking for something like that, Look at the Sammy's smaller but just as fun.

Bok
05-11-11, 11:05 AM
Both my wife and I have Dodge's.

I've got the semi responsible Dodge Journey.

She drives the less responsible AWD 2007 Charger R/T with the 5.7L V8 Hemi :)

We though about the SRT8 at the time, but it was too good a deal on the R/T to pass up..

c303a
05-11-11, 11:57 AM
I sold Dodge for 14 years starting in '94 when they came out with the new truck body style. What a ride that was. Everybody was paying over sticker and never complaining. People would be bidding on trucks in stock and that was in person before the computer came into real use. Wife drives a nice '08 Caliber and we have never had a problem with it. It has the lifetime warranty on the power train and since I was working at the time we bought the upgraded warranty that covers just about everything except the wear items with a $100 deductable for liftime. Plus I go back to the dealership and since I retired there they still give me all the employee discounts.
It was a pretty goood place to work after all is said and done and the owners still treat the employees very well.
I agree with the comment about the Cummins engine. Don't know what they are doing for HP in the trucks now but I remember when an idiot hooked his dually up to a tree and put it in low 4 wheel drive with his automatic transmission, then proceeded to cut a tree down. Of course no one was in the truck. It was supposed to put tension on the tree so it would fall right and then he was going to jump in and stop it. Worked great until he fell ane the truck continued on, right through the wall fo his house. Lots of HP and torque in that engine.