PDA

View Full Version : Hi! New to Team USA

Unregistered
07-14-18, 04:56 PM
Hi Guys,

My name is Mark. I've been contributing to Seti@Home since it came out (1999 for me); I'm mostly a Mac user (since 1998, windoze before that). I've since bought an ultra-spec PC for gaming & rendering (my husband is an architect and uses it from time to time). The PC has two GeForce Titan XP's (SLI), and an Intel 8700K overclocked to 4.9 GHz. My Macs are always laptops (typically the latest model, within a year). I LOVE SETI. My grandfather worked for it with Barney Oliver, so that's probably where my roots are from. I'm dutch-American, living in San Francisco. I am power conscious, so I don't run BOINC at home too often but when I travel around the world (for work) I always run it (since I'm not paying for power, lol).

I just joined this team!

Cheers everyone, I'll catch up to the top of the charts ASAP :)

Mark

John P. Myers
07-14-18, 07:59 PM
Welcome to the boards! Glad you're here.

Just to be sure there's no confusion, you did join team SETI.USA and not team USA, right? :)

Dave gpu
07-15-18, 11:30 AM
Hi Mark Great to have you here. :cool:

Bryan
07-15-18, 08:44 PM
Hi Mark. Welcome to the forums.

I worked for HP and had the pleasure of hearing Barney Oliver talk about Seti on 2 different occasions. He was a fascinating man! Barney was the founder of HP Labs that did cutting edge research and technology development. He was described as the "Engineer's engineer" ... absolutely brilliant. He was loaned by HP to NASA for the original Seti investigation.

myshortpencil
07-15-18, 09:09 PM
What Bryan didn't tell you is that when Bill Hewlett and David Packard were working on their audio oscillator in their garage, Bryan flicked his cigarette into the prototype, which stabilized the circuitry and thus was born the "pilot light" of the HP200A. :) Welcome aboard.

Ron Shurtz
07-15-18, 10:10 PM
Welcome Mark, to the team and to the forum.

I hope you visit this site often.
It may seem quiet at times, but there are a lot of great folks here with various backgrounds and expertise's.
This is good place to get questions answered or just converse on a favorite topic.

(I have to admit to some hardware spec envy of your rig, but I don't envy the electric bill for it. :) )

Mark Seeger
07-16-18, 07:47 PM
Welcome Mark, to the team and to the forum.

I hope you visit this site often.
It may seem quiet at times, but there are a lot of great folks here with various backgrounds and expertise's.
This is good place to get questions answered or just converse on a favorite topic.

(I have to admit to some hardware spec envy of your rig, but I don't envy the electric bill for it. :) )

Hi Ron,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome (this goes for everyone here). The power bill is high, but he cause is worthy! :) Plus it's just fun. And I enjoy the competition. I'm going to try and best the performance-per-watt before end of the year!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Seeger
07-16-18, 07:47 PM
Welcome to the boards! Glad you're here.

Just to be sure there's no confusion, you did join team SETI.USA and not team USA, right? :)

Correct, and thank you :)

Mark Seeger
07-16-18, 07:48 PM
What Bryan didn't tell you is that when Bill Hewlett and David Packard were working on their audio oscillator in their garage, Bryan flicked his cigarette into the prototype, which stabilized the circuitry and thus was born the "pilot light" of the HP200A. :) Welcome aboard.

I didn't know that! Thank you :)