PDA

View Full Version : Clean Sweep of Team Firsts?

Al
08-01-18, 09:07 AM
Bryan got all the user firsts and the team firsts have been a sweep for SUSA thus far. The only one left is 1st team to 1 billion. As of today we are well in the lead to that goal and are 300 million away on Goofy CPU (http://cpu.goofyxgridathome.net). Let's finish it off! Bryan, Mumps and EG have done their part with 250, 100 and 100 million respectively. I was planning to stop at 50 million in a few days, but I'll stay on it for another 50 million if a few more of us commit to taking our milestone to the next level or two or three. Anyone else willing to commit?

Edit: I'll do 50 million more, so we need an addition 250 million.

Al
08-01-18, 01:23 PM
Is anyone else seeing this?

Stderr output
<core_client_version>7.6.33</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
finish file present too long
</message>
<stderr_txt>
13:07:53 (28076): wrapper (7.7.26016): starting
13:07:53 (28076): wrapper: running htest_64bits.exe (input)

================================================== =====
|HTEST v2.0.0 [22-02-2018] |
|Written by Lukasz Swierczewski |

INFO: You do have the Intel CPU but
does not support the required instructions.
You can not use a hardware random number generator.
System use software generator.
13:13:46 (28076): htest_64bits.exe exited; CPU time 345.667016
13:13:46 (28076): called boinc_finish(0)

</stderr_txt>
]]>

This is my only machine with any errors, but it has completed Valid (10777) tasks. I'm only seeing this on one T5500 running windows.

Ron Shurtz
08-01-18, 09:28 PM
Throwing in my drop in the bucket. (20 threads)

scole of TSBT
08-01-18, 09:42 PM
Is anyone else seeing this?

Stderr output
<core_client_version>7.6.33</core_client_version>
<=!=[=C=D=A=T=A=[
<message>
finish file present too long
</message>
<stderr_txt>
13:07:53 (28076): wrapper (7.7.26016): starting
13:07:53 (28076): wrapper: running htest_64bits.exe (input)

|HTEST v2.0.0 [22-02-2018] |
|Written by Lukasz Swierczewski |

INFO: You do have the Intel CPU but
does not support the required instructions.
You can not use a hardware random number generator.
System use software generator.
13:13:46 (28076): htest_64bits.exe exited; CPU time 345.667016
13:13:46 (28076): called boinc_finish(0)

</stderr_txt>
]=]=>

This is my only machine with any errors, but it has completed Valid (10777) tasks. I'm only seeing this on one T5500 running windows.
If the issue still exists, this project has a lot of I/O and causes issues. I'm still convinced that a single boinc client can only handle so much I/O overhead. Try cutting the threads back to 23 or 22, leaving 1-2 free. On my high thread systems, I used to have to run 4 clients with at least a couple free on the machine.

Al
08-01-18, 09:53 PM
If the issue still exists, this project has a lot of I/O and causes issues. I'm still convinced that a single boinc client can only handle so much I/O overhead. Try cutting the threads back to 23 or 22, leaving 1-2 free. On my high thread systems, I used to have to run 4 clients with at least a couple free on the machine.I'll give it a shot.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Bryan
08-01-18, 10:24 PM
"The Finish File Present Too Long" can be caused by too many WU finishing at exactly the same time. A single BOINC client doesn't have enough time to do all the clean up - stop the WU, generate the output file, close the slot, and erase the WU from the HDD. It doesn't happen that often on the 24 thread machine but it DOES happen if too many WU complete at the same time.

There are 2 fixes:
1. Run 2 BOINC clients.
2. SUSPEND all but 6-8 WU. After one minute RESUME 6-8 more WU. One minute later RESUME the rest.

This is a VERY common problem on the higher thread count machines.

Al
08-02-18, 12:12 AM
"The Finish File Present Too Long" can be caused by too many WU finishing at exactly the same time. A single BOINC client doesn't have enough time to do all the clean up - stop the WU, generate the output file, close the slot, and erase the WU from the HDD. It doesn't happen that often on the 24 thread machine but it DOES happen if too many WU complete at the same time.

There are 2 fixes:
1. Run 2 BOINC clients.
2. SUSPEND all but 6-8 WU. After one minute RESUME 6-8 more WU. One minute later RESUME the rest.

This is a VERY common problem on the higher thread count machines.
I've been running it for several days now and the wus are spread, 3 or 4 finishing at any one time. I'm thinking this may not be my problem, though I'll keep an eye on it. I did drop down to 23 threads and have had no more computational errors. I'll see if that holds up overnight.

Al
08-02-18, 12:16 AM
Throwing in my drop in the bucket. (20 threads)

Thanks Ron, what milestone will you go after? Looks like 25 million is your next one...7 million will get you there.

Al
08-02-18, 09:03 AM
Dropping active threads to 23 decreased the amount of errors, but didn't eliminate them. I've lowered the active threads to 22 to see if that will do the trick.

FourOh
08-02-18, 09:31 PM
A challenge where I don't have to make any effort to participate? Perfect! I'm pretty much on cruise control these days due to RL stuff, so I'll stay on it for a while.

pinhodecarlos
08-03-18, 04:38 AM
Stupid question, do I need to be running other BOINC projects alongside this one? I've never ran this project before neither read what their purpose.

Al
08-03-18, 08:02 AM
Stupid question, do I need to be running other BOINC projects alongside this one? I've never ran this project before neither read what their purpose.
Here's a link to the project science (http://cpu.goofyxgridathome.net/forum_thread.php?id=5#10)

There are 2 Goofyx projects, one is for CPU and one NCI. The one we're working towards 1 billion on is the CPU project (http://cpu.goofyxgridathome.net).

Al
08-03-18, 08:09 AM
A challenge where I don't have to make any effort to participate? Perfect! I'm pretty much on cruise control these days due to RL stuff, so I'll stay on it for a while.

Well, since you, Ron (looks like EG is back on it too) are committing I'll continue to 100 million. This will get us fairly close to 1 billion. I am moving my 3 linux machines to other goals, so my daily production will be down a little.

Al
08-03-18, 08:16 AM
Dropping active threads to 23 decreased the amount of errors, but didn't eliminate them. I've lowered the active threads to 22 to see if that will do the trick.
22 threads eliminated the errors I was getting.

purplecfh
08-03-18, 05:01 PM
Late to the party. I have about half a days worth of rake search cache to go through then I'll be adding to the cause.

Egilman
08-05-18, 04:38 AM
Ok for the bad news....

I lost blackhawk-1 today, don't know what happened, it just up and quit on me.....

Refuses to boot. it does post, but won't even allow me into bios..... I get nothing on the screen.

It is also the last two 7990's I have that were working. So that means both Primegrid and Goofy CPU production is going to take a hit over the next week or so....

Good news, new MB is on the way. that will get at least 40+ threads back working. I just don't know if the 7990's will make it through the cold sink cycle. The last six didn't when I shut them down for cleaning.

Too late to worry about it, it's shut down now. Will have to see when I get the machine rebuilt.....

Sorry Guys...

Al
08-06-18, 08:30 AM
Ok for the bad news....

I lost blackhawk-1 today, don't know what happened, it just up and quit on me.....

Refuses to boot. it does post, but won't even allow me into bios..... I get nothing on the screen.

It is also the last two 7990's I have that were working. So that means both Primegrid and Goofy CPU production is going to take a hit over the next week or so....

Good news, new MB is on the way. that will get at least 40+ threads back working. I just don't know if the 7990's will make it through the cold sink cycle. The last six didn't when I shut them down for cleaning.

Too late to worry about it, it's shut down now. Will have to see when I get the machine rebuilt.....

Sorry Guys...
No worries. It's always fun to build new stuff. More fun when you do it because you want to and not because you need to.

Egilman
08-06-18, 08:44 PM
No worries. It's always fun to build new stuff. More fun when you do it because you want to and not because you need to.

Yeah I know, but going from 18 GPU's down to 1 in less than 6 months? Difficult to take.

Anyway I hear that Nvidea is about to announce the 1100 series either this month or next.... EVGA is heavily selling their 10 series cards at solid discounts and is out of hybrids. (MSI is doing the same)

Rumoured price point is in the middle 7's....

Got to wait on acquiring cards anyways, they claim it's 40% more powerful than a 1080ti at only 200 watts. No announcement on a hybrid version yet though.... (the manufacturer's are real closed mouth on it)

1080's should be coming down in price soon.....and if they are any good at mining.....

zombie67
08-06-18, 10:01 PM
Yeah I know, but going from 18 GPU's down to 1 in less than 6 months? Difficult to take.

I'll bet your power bill appreciates the change. :D

Egilman
08-10-18, 03:57 PM
I'll bet your power bill appreciates the change. :D

Well I'm sure the power company isn't happy, but the wife sure is.... :))

Well a brand new X10-DRi-T arrived yesterday, Now I get to install it and hope the 7990's made it thru the cold sink. It does have on-board video just in case though, at least I'll be able to get the 48 threads back if they didn't.

Go Team!

Egilman
08-13-18, 06:15 PM
What the heck just happened for the last three days?

purplecfh
08-13-18, 06:19 PM
I assume the hosting site and or computer Bok uses for this and free DC went down/out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

zombie67
08-13-18, 07:29 PM
When Bok has issues like this, he usually posts the status to our team page on facebook.

Bryan
08-13-18, 09:26 PM
It is my understanding he was on vacation for 2 weeks and just got back today. There are somethings you can do remotely and some things you can't.

Egilman
12-08-18, 09:59 PM
Goofy CPU is putting out work again.... Still a little flaky, but I"m put two machines on it to see where it goes...

Egilman
12-09-18, 04:10 AM
I've seen enough, two machines at 6 hours.
It's not stable enough to run full time....
Not the same project it was before......
Looks like he's got 20 different apps that all run differently

Early early beta if you ask me...