PDA

View Full Version : Milkyway: Old ATI applications deprecated

RSS
04-09-11, 01:53 AM
So I figured while everything was breaking and people are already mad at us for having to wipe the workunit and result tables from the database, it would be time to deprecate the old ATI GPU applications. From here on out, we'll not be generating a parameter file for the applications (as all the new versions accept these from the command line which significantly cuts down on the servers file IO), and we'll not be accepting results coming in a file (all the new versions write the result to standard error which goes right into the database, also saving us a lot of file IO). Matt A is updating the ATI application so they'll be available and automatically downloaded when new work is generated, but for people with customized app info and who are using old versions of the ATI application this is fair warning. We should probably be generating new work sometime this weekend, and the workunits being sent out will break with the older versions of the ATI applications.

More... (http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/forum_thread.php?id=2329)

Crazybob
04-09-11, 12:41 PM
If I'm understanding this, we should detach and reattach to remove the opt-apps. Someone needs to concur so we can get this done before new work is generated.

Maxwell
04-09-11, 01:19 PM
That's how I'm reading it, CB. Depending on how the new WUs run, we may need to regenerate an app_info file to make it run better.

dan
04-09-11, 02:11 PM
If I'm understanding this, we should detach and reattach to remove the opt-apps. Someone needs to concur so we can get this done before new work is generated.

Wouldn't reseting be easier?

Maxwell
04-09-11, 03:29 PM
Wouldn't reseting be easier?
Doesn't delete the app_info file...

Fire$torm
04-12-11, 06:20 PM

A better way is to shut down BOINC, find the MW project folder and DELETE it. Restart BOINC and MW downloads the latest project files. Easy as pie and it doesn't mess with your stats.

DrPop
04-12-11, 11:01 PM
If you are NOT currently running the opti_app, do you need to do anything, or will it all be seamless and automatic?

Maxwell
04-12-11, 11:37 PM
If you are NOT currently running the opti_app, do you need to do anything, or will it all be seamless and automatic?
It will be automatic. The app_info file isn't actually anything optimized - all it's doing is running two WUs at a time, and potentially changing a couple options the app lets you configure. The app_info file is ~1-2% improvement, but it adds up.

Fire$torm
04-13-11, 05:25 PM

(In my best Joker voice) What Maxwell said.
If you wish to keep you app_info file (after editing it for any app updates) then just throw it in after BOINC recreates the folder and shutdown/restart BOINC.