PDA

View Full Version : Einstein: GDPR: don't lose your credit statistics!

RSS
12-11-18, 09:14 AM
Hi everyone,
glad this news item's subject line grabbed your attention*https://einsteinathome.org/sites/all/libraries/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-innocent.gif If you care about your credit statistics at external BOINC statistics sites like BOINCstats.com you want to quickly read the following post (and its thread): https://einsteinathome.org/goto/comment/168176
Please leave your comments and questions over there as well as this post was just meant as an additional heads-up.
Cheers,
Oliver

More... (https://einsteinathome.org/content/gdpr-dont-lose-your-credit-statistics)

Ron Shurtz
12-11-18, 06:36 PM
*** EVERYONE WITH AN EINSTEIN ACCOUNT! ***

You have one week from today to allow Einstein to export your stats to external stat sites if you so desire.

They have defaulted your option to do not export.
You have to sign on in the next week to change it to "Yes" if you want your stats to continue to be exported.

See below.

I want to remind people that in one week, our stats exports will change and honor the option Do you consent to exporting your data to BOINC statistics aggregation Web sites?
If you want to have your stats exported, and have not changed this setting, to YES, please do so in Account -> Preferences -> Privacy. Also, I have been informed that at the BOINCstats Web site, your user history may be lost if you do not consent to the stats exports before we update our systems on 2018 Dec 17th. If this is something you care about (BOINCstats history), please change your privacy preferences.

Einstein@Home Project

Mumps
12-11-18, 07:59 PM
And don't forget to do it at Albert as well if you haven't already.

trigggl
12-12-18, 12:51 AM
Thanks guys for the reminders! #:-s

shiva
12-12-18, 05:35 AM
ahhh yea thanks, got r done

denim
12-12-18, 08:15 AM
Check.

Bok
12-18-18, 10:39 AM
This was enforced as of yesterdays xml output.. The #users in the export file fell from ~469,000 to only 2619....

They will all be deleted at my stats within a few days as I put in a short deferral for now..

I imagine LHC will follow suite at some point.

Mumps
12-18-18, 08:43 PM
And I still managed to drop 9 places overall today. But I can't see how, when I try to pull up the Project User list, the sort by overall credit doesn't seem to be working. (Or even when you click on your position in your project listing, it no longer takes you to you position within that same sorted list. Even using stats3 that Total Credit sort is all broken, at least for Einstein, today.)

DrPop
12-18-18, 10:24 PM
Grrr...I can't believe stuff like this. What kind of a nanny state world do we live in? Why on earth would the "default volunteer cruncher" NOT want their credits reported after all the donated electricity bill?! :rolleyes: Point being, it should default to YES so no one loses their credits, and people who actually care to block it (I'm estimating this percentage to be a negligible tenth of one percent of all crunchers) could just switch it to NO. These people's kind of thinking puzzles my brain.

shiva
12-19-18, 02:10 AM
Grrr...I can't believe stuff like this. What kind of a nanny state world do we live in? Why on earth would the "default volunteer cruncher" NOT want their credits reported after all the donated electricity bill?! :rolleyes: Point being, it should default to YES so no one loses their credits, and people who actually care to block it (I'm estimating this percentage to be a negligible tenth of one percent of all crunchers) could just switch it to NO. These people's kind of thinking puzzles my brain.

yea I agree, and i'm going to appoint you,Jeb to watch my account after I die and keep it all active. that way they can't make me go away. :)

Bok
12-19-18, 09:10 AM
And I still managed to drop 9 places overall today. But I can't see how, when I try to pull up the Project User list, the sort by overall credit doesn't seem to be working. (Or even when you click on your position in your project listing, it no longer takes you to you position within that same sorted list. Even using stats3 that Total Credit sort is all broken, at least for Einstein, today.)

It will fix itself once the data for users not in the export gets deleted, which is scheduled for the update after next.

denim
12-19-18, 09:31 AM
I was wondering why I had a 1.5million negative on my account a couple of days ago.

myshortpencil
12-19-18, 09:39 PM
Thanks for staying on top of this Bok. I authorized external transfers an hour ago. I also checked LHC, but didn't find a privacy setting available for configuration.

Al
12-19-18, 11:35 PM
Thanks for staying on top of this Bok. I authorized external transfers an hour ago. I also checked LHC, but didn't find a privacy setting available for configuration.

It's under the regular project preferences.

myshortpencil
12-20-18, 08:35 AM
It's under the regular project preferences.

Are you talking about https://lhcathome.cern.ch/ ? If so, I don't see a privacy option on my project preferences page. I do have a box for "General terms-of-use for this BOINC project," which I have checked.

Bok
12-20-18, 08:38 AM
It looks like LHC are reconsidering this given the disruptive nature of not having the stats exported.

Al
12-20-18, 08:40 AM
Are you talking about https://lhcathome.cern.ch/ ? If so, I don't see a privacy option on my project preferences page. I do have a box for "General terms-of-use for this BOINC project," which I have checked.That's the one I checked. We should be good...

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

myshortpencil
12-20-18, 07:23 PM
As of this moment, it appears GDPR has cost the team around 650 million credits. The top losers seem to be:
Mace -110401413
Mr. Hankey -103466998
mikeej42 -102260547
katsura -101257063
FourOh -98110871
tgbauer -78737303
Vlad -77068023
icemoon1978 -75570629
Abaraxis -74194380
Firebird -55425894
GeKKo -52852776
Doggie -50254245
Don Hoffmann -49553249
Eric R. Nelson, Ph.D. -48290911
Carlos -48185237
Outcast3d -46809584
Sean Devine -45202636
Dan Sargent -45190880
D -44149639
Hanna -43475679
Mike -41866885
Raymond Rodgers -41216119
Jeff -39072343
MajikMyst -38766513
MindCrime -37236612

Very sad. I wonder how Formula Boinc has been affected. Also, I presume that participants in challenges and the Pentathlon must permit their statistics to be exported from the projects that offer a privacy choice.

Al
12-20-18, 07:39 PM
Very sad. I wonder how Formula Boinc has been affected. Also, I presume that participants in challenges and the Pentathlon must permit their statistics to be exported from the projects that offer a privacy choice.

That is sobering! We're still in good shape on FB. We'll need to keep the Pentathlon in mind when it gets to be time for that. Good call.

myshortpencil
01-17-19, 04:41 PM
I see that numberfields is now requiring a GDPR privacy setting for exporting stats. Is there some place in the forum where we can start a topic that announces project changes regarding GDPR as people become aware of them?

Bryan
01-17-19, 05:20 PM
It's going to be ALL BOINC projects since it is part of the new server version. The only question is when the projects upgrade.

So it appears that if you retire from BOINC what you accomplished will be gone after 3 years. That sucks!

zombie67
01-18-19, 09:52 AM
I agree. We need a dedicated thread to notify the team, as each project adds the requirement. Then we can subscribe is desired.

shiva
01-18-19, 10:26 AM
I think it is time for a team email on this. maybe we can get some that haven't been around for a while to respond and change there pages. might save us a lot of credit.

Mumps
01-18-19, 11:32 AM
Ultimately I would expect this is not the intended result. If you join a team, the points you generate for the team were never supposed to go away. There is no identifiable relationship between the user points and the team points. And when a user leaves a team, the team points aren't decreased by the amount of points they had when they left... GDPR is related to personally identifiable information. Team points aren't any part of that.

Think about it from the viewpoint of those of us that jump around between teams to "give a helping hand" at times. I may currently have 53 million points on Project X, but I only generated 15 mil of those for the team I'm on when I disable exporting stats through this GDPR mechanism. So, the team I was on now loses 53 mil, rather than the 15 mil I actually added to *their* coffers. I can imagine changing to a competitors team with GDPR enabled, so SETI.USA keeps my 53 Million points and the "new" team only gets whatever I produce from that day forward. Then I turn off GDPR and watch the other team have 53 million points taken away. switch back to SETI.USA, then re-enable GDPR export. Miraculously SETI.USA will acquire an *extra* 53 million points?

Bryan
01-18-19, 12:33 PM
@mumps - if that is the way it's gonna work I have this burning desire to crunch for GridCoin :D

shiva
01-18-19, 05:40 PM
@mumps - if that is the way it's gonna work I have this burning desire to crunch for GridCoin :D

=))

Clank [MM]
01-18-19, 11:47 PM
If they erase the history, they will kill Boinc. That's like removing stats from baseball. Some may argue but to me this is all about the stats. I know too many people that retired but had excellent numbers that still stand up against current crunchers. They deserve to be there. Does anybody know what will happen with retired projects?