PDA

View Full Version : lappy needs project

GregK
04-11-11, 03:24 PM
i have a p3 850 mhz 256 ram win xp lappy. any reccomenations on a project best credits possable reliable project little resources used? i'll have to set it to run when not in use. allready have wuprop running. wuprop is on both machines now. 2 more box's coming online in a week. could use an old pci card if anyone has one to sell.

Dandasarge
04-11-11, 03:28 PM
I would love it if you could crunch a few PrimeBoinca credits. It should do well but I'm woundering what the payoff is.

GregK
04-11-11, 03:30 PM
ok ill give it a go and report back by tomorrow.

Maxwell
04-11-11, 04:14 PM
Machines like that I like to stick on little-loved projects, like CPDN. ;)

Beerdrinker
04-11-11, 04:55 PM
I would love it if you could crunch a few PrimeBoinca credits. It should do well but I'm woundering what the payoff is.

Wonder how Atom based boxes would do on Primaboinca...?

Dandasarge
04-11-11, 05:11 PM
Wonder how Atom based boxes would do on Primaboinca...?

by my really bad math 1200-1600 (depending on core) a day should be posable on an atom per core. that P3 i think should do about 600-800 a day.

GregK
04-12-11, 12:15 PM
http://www.primaboinca.com/result.php?resultid=2240556

has done 2 units so far about the same crunch time.

Dandasarge
04-12-11, 12:23 PM
http://www.primaboinca.com/result.php?resultid=2240556

has done 2 units so far about the same crunch time.

that should put you in line for 800 a day +/-

I'm not sure what would pay better?

DrPop
04-12-11, 02:06 PM
I'm not sure what would pay better?

None that I know of. Primaboinca is a perfect choice for this P3 lappy right now due to the fixed credit system. It will really help it out. :D

A similar type deal, I built up an old P4 rig for my front desk here at the office, so if I killed my big rigs running BOINC stuff O/Ced, my office wouldn't go down.:p :D
It's the original P4 - ASUS P4T-e mobo maxed out: 1GB RAMBUS RAM, P4 Northwood core, Socket 478 at 2.8GHz. MMX, SSE 1 & 2only. GPU is the AGP Matrox Parhelia 256MB. Running Win XP.
This rig topped out around 1150 - 1200 per day from Androinc, and ~1400 or so from AQUA (but WUs were really long).
Happily, with the fixed credit system now, this rig just passed 1450 average points / day with Primaboinca, and is still climbing. WUs are just under 2 hr.s usually.

So...long winded, but hope that info helps someone; best bet for these older rigs is Primaboinca, and the good news is, doesn't seem to be much hit for running the older 32bit OS like there is with AQUA and was with AndrOINC.

Dandasarge
04-12-11, 02:18 PM
None that I know of. Primaboinca is a perfect choice for this P3 lappy right now due to the fixed credit system. It will really help it out. :D

A similar type deal, I built up an old P4 rig for my front desk here at the office, so if I killed my big rigs running BOINC stuff O/Ced, my office wouldn't go down.:p :D
It's the original P4 - ASUS P4T-e mobo maxed out: 1GB RAMBUS RAM, P4 Northwood core, Socket 478 at 2.8GHz. MMX, SSE 1 & 2only. GPU is the AGP Matrox Parhelia 256MB. Running Win XP.
This rig topped out around 1150 - 1200 per day from Androinc, and ~1400 or so from AQUA (but WUs were really long).
Happily, with the fixed credit system now, this rig just passed 1450 average points / day with Primaboinca, and is still climbing. WUs are just under 2 hr.s usually.

So...long winded, but hope that info helps someone; best bet for these older rigs is Primaboinca, and the good news is, doesn't seem to be much hit for running the older 32bit OS like there is with AQUA and was with AndrOINC.

my 2.2's run Primab in 2.5hrs makes them almost worth running good thing we need wuprop :)

Beerdrinker
04-12-11, 02:41 PM

And it adds up!!....250 Cs per day x 30 days= 7500 more pr month than if running androic...
Now if only we had 30-40 old rigs like that...( and I bet we do!) we could easily muster up some 200.000 pr month..Not to shabby!!

DrPop
04-12-11, 03:01 PM
And it adds up!!....
Now if only we had 30-40 old rigs like that...

Hehehe...and in that vein of thought, I just tried it and successfully O/Ced that old P4 to 3.02 GHz. :D If the O/C is 7%, that ought to drop my WUs from 1:58 to 1:50 per. I'll report back if it worked.;)

On that note - Dan, can you meet me with the 200MHz O/C and get your 2.2's running at 2.4? :cool:

GregK
04-13-11, 12:02 AM
all good info! primaboinca and wuprop running on it and going smoothly moderate cpu heat lvl but nothing it cant handle. another p3 will go online in a few days if im lucky the 2ghz desktop too. al least it helps with wuprop i remember someone said we need 120 machines over there. well if anyone has an old box not running maybe fire i up for a bit? :)

Dandasarge
04-13-11, 10:41 AM
On that note - Dan, can you meet me with the 200MHz O/C and get your 2.2's running at 2.4? :cool:

They are all dell's, not much I can do with any of them. One is about to get replaced with a 3.2 duo with my old 8800 should bump my rack 75k or so. Then I'll pass that one onto a buddy hopefully he will keep it up.

all good info! primaboinca and wuprop running on it and going smoothly moderate cpu heat lvl but nothing it cant handle. another p3 will go online in a few days if im lucky the 2ghz desktop too. al least it helps with wuprop i remember someone said we need 120 machines over there. well if anyone has an old box not running maybe fire i up for a bit? :)

I have my old farm in storage someplace I'm sure 10 750 P3's would be hilarious to run but I might just do it, or maybe I should throw them out? I'll try to butter my dad into letting me try on his servers one more time.