PDA

View Full Version : 32 bit VS 64 bit

joker
04-13-11, 07:45 PM
I have been running XP 32 bit for many years now, I am getting a 64 bit OS right now so I am curious as to how big of a difference there is between a 32 bit OS VS a 64 bit OS when it comes to CPU crunching?

Dandasarge
04-13-11, 07:58 PM
Capt. Ovious just told me it depends on what prodject.

Some prodjects none some as much as 20%

DrPop
04-13-11, 08:00 PM
With AQUA and (a project formerly known as) AndrOINC, the 64bit "bonus" was quite a bit. I can't say about any other projects - some of the MMers that crunch a bunch of the other ones might be able to.???

joker
04-13-11, 09:11 PM
Capt. Ovious just told me it depends on what prodject.

Do you have his PM address?? :-)

John P. Myers
04-14-11, 08:37 PM
If the project has a 64bit app and it's coded to properly make use of this, which most are, the speed bonus is usually as much as 70%.

joker
04-14-11, 08:52 PM
This may be a stupid question but, would the OS make any difference for GPU crunching?

JerWA
04-14-11, 09:22 PM
OS probably matters. 32 bit vs 64 bit driver.

joker
04-14-11, 09:28 PM
OS probably matters. 32 bit vs 64 bit driver.

So I will get better crunching out of my GPU with a 64 bit OS? Just trying to be clear.

DrPop
04-15-11, 01:24 AM
So I will get better crunching out of my GPU with a 64 bit OS? Just trying to be clear.

Hmmm...that is a good question. I believe if the project used a lot of memory, then yes, because of the increased ability in that direction with the 64bit OS. Otherwise I'm not sure. I would think they could build some advances into the 64bit drivers, but who knows if they have implemented any?

joker
04-15-11, 02:08 AM
i JUST want to know. :p

JerWA
04-15-11, 03:12 AM
I dunno, I don't run any 32 bit OS. 2 GB? 3 GB with a BIOS hack? Pfeh, need more RAM than that. :P

One of the GPU app guys could tell you. Slicker, or the guy that runs Collatz?

Steve Bohlen
04-23-11, 10:35 PM
This may be a stupid question but, would the OS make any difference for GPU crunching?

I'd like to see this question answered as well. I'm looking at some upgrade options and this fact could direct me in one direction instead of another.

Maxwell
04-23-11, 10:39 PM
I'd like to see this question answered as well. I'm looking at some upgrade options and this fact could direct me in one direction instead of another.
Which GPU type are you thinking? ATI or CUDA?

joker
04-23-11, 10:42 PM
Which GPU type are you thinking? ATI or CUDA?

I want my beer and to drink it too......Both.

Maxwell
04-23-11, 10:52 PM
I want my beer and to drink it too......Both.
You can rock both in the same box easy in Win7x64. I've never run Linux, so I can't speak to it. I've heard Linux is a bit tough with ATI, though someone with more Linux experience will have to speak to it.

Slicker
04-24-11, 11:38 AM
Yes. 64-bit is better. If you aren't chasing MMs on all projects that is. It won't make any difference on projects which don't take advantage of the 64-bit features. For ones that do, you will see a lot more than a 20% increase. For several, it is a 100-150% increase. Which ones?

PrimeGrid - any of the sieve projects but specifically 321 Sieve and PPS. PPS is the best paying project for 64-bit. I have a box getting 118,000 credits per day on PPS and that is CPU ONLY! Nope. That is not a typo.

AQUA - pays about double.

Collatz - pays more than doulbe for 64-bit than the 32-bit since the 32-bit platorms does 64-bit emulation. Emulation is still faster than using twice as many 32-bit integers (and therefore twice as many calculations for the same WU) if x86 intrinsics are available.

Windows vs Linux vs OS X 64-bit?
Windows usually edges out Linux since most projects use the gcc compiler for Linux. That's not necessarily because GCC is bad, but because developers have to use an older version of GCC to maintain backwards compatibility with older linux distros. If the project uses the Intel compiler for its apps (e.g. can afford a couple thousand dollars to purchase the Intel compiler), it will do better than GCC - at least for Itel CPUs. AMD will actually run slower than GCC since Itel doesn't spend much time optimizing for AMD.

OS X is just BSD Unix with a fancy UI (let the falming being!) so it also uses GCC. Once again, for backwards compatibility with OS X 10.4, gcc 3.3 is used (current version is 4.5 in comparison).

joker
04-24-11, 02:48 PM
Thank you Slicker.