PDA

View Full Version : "New Posts" link

zombie67
10-26-10, 11:12 PM
There are two ways to look for new posts.

1) Manually navigate through each of the forums from the index.

2) Use the New Posts link and go directly to the list of...er...new posts.

I use method #2.

Here's the problem. I am at the bottom of a really long thread, and want to click the New Posts link to go back to the list and browse it for the next thread I want to select. But to do that, I have to scroll waaaaaay back up to the top of the thread page. Any way we can add a New Posts link to the bottom of the pages too?

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
10-26-10, 11:31 PM
I'm sure that's possible with a little PHP editing of the template.. I just open the threads in a new tab, then close that tab when I'm done with it...

zombie67
10-27-10, 01:54 AM
Too many tabs already. Also, I get distracted easily. :rolleyes: I need to go back to a refreshed list to see which I still have left unread.

DrPop
10-27-10, 12:07 PM
Too many tabs already. Also, I get distracted easily. :rolleyes: I need to go back to a refreshed list to see which I still have left unread.

LOL! ;) I can relate to that sometimes!

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
10-27-10, 02:14 PM
Too many tabs already. Also, I get distracted easily. :rolleyes: I need to go back to a refreshed list to see which I still have left unread.LOL! ;) I can relate to that sometimes!

At least I'm not the only one.. There have been times when I had to close other apps so that I could open another 5 or 6 tabs...

DrPop
10-27-10, 02:28 PM
;209']At least I'm not the only one.. There have been times when I had to close other apps so that I could open another 5 or 6 tabs...

Just wait till you get that dually running with the 2GB DDR2. You'll never have to close apps...just keep adding tabs till your brain goes fuzzy trying to remember which one was what! :D

Beerdrinker
10-27-10, 02:38 PM
I figure that I am a #2 guy also...I just hit that button, reply and hit it again...Since my post are done in wierd hours compared to you, I am usually the only one posting...

Bok
10-27-10, 03:05 PM

I use method #2.

Here's the problem. I am at the bottom of a really long thread, and want to click the New Posts link to go back to the list and browse it for the next thread I want to select. But to do that, I have to scroll waaaaaay back up to the top of the thread page. Any way we can add a New Posts link to the bottom of the pages too?

press the <HOME> key ? Should take you to the top...

zombie67
10-27-10, 09:09 PM
Hmmmmm. My iPad doesn't seem to have a home key. :D

DrPop
10-27-10, 10:44 PM
Mmmmmmm...call up Jobs and request it for the next revision! You could show "how revolutionized" Internet forum navigation would be, and then everyone would rush to buy new versions of the iPad, and make Apple even more money! :rolleyes: :D

Bok
10-27-10, 10:49 PM
Hmmmmm. My iPad doesn't seem to have a home key. :D

LOL, actually I have the same problem on my iPhone to I do know what you mean :) It's everywhere though, drives me crazy on sport play-by-plays..

joker
10-28-10, 03:59 AM
I posted a message and after 28 minutes it was no longer in the "new posts" sent me to the 24 hour thing. Is there any way to change the time on "new posts" to be a little longer?

Teratoma
10-29-10, 02:10 PM
At the bottom of the page on the right there is a link...."Top"....which will take back to the top of the page. I personally have not had time to learn vBulletin yet. It will take us some time to get used to it and learn how to customize it.

Bryan
10-29-10, 02:25 PM
At the bottom of the page on the right there is a link...."Top"....which will take back to the top of the page. I personally have not had time to learn vBulletin yet. It will take us some time to get used to it and learn how to customize it.

VERY nice feature. I always wanted that or a "New Posts" button on the old boards.

DrPop
10-29-10, 05:02 PM
I posted a message and after 28 minutes it was no longer in the "new posts" sent me to the 24 hour thing. Is there any way to change the time on "new posts" to be a little longer?

Yeah...come one, Joker ought to last longer than 28 min.!:D hehehehe

Fire$torm
10-01-14, 07:37 PM

I use method #2.

Hey Zombie!

I know this is an old request and before my time. But, after I stumbled upon this thread early this morning, I decided to try and figure out a solution. So with quite a few short sessions of searching the Net and wadding through snippets of code, which for me has the effect of boiling my grey matter, I've found a answer. Although it's not perfect as "Guests" will see a 2nd Top link. But for anyone logged in, they will see this link ---> [New Posts] .

Only tested using Default Style and BlackStealth Style

Hope you and others find this useful.

PS: Please let me know if I broke anything on the forums with this change.

zombie67
10-01-14, 08:55 PM
Sweet! Thanks F$!

Bryan
10-01-14, 10:44 PM
Yeh baby, now that's what I'm talking about =)) BRAVO!!!!!

Ron Shurtz
10-07-14, 09:38 PM
Using it!

Loving it!

:-bd

Ron Shurtz
03-09-15, 08:57 PM
The "New Posts" footer link is gone for me now.

Anyone else? :confused:

Fire$torm
03-09-15, 09:22 PM
Nope, I just used it. Sorry man. Have you tried restarting your browser? Or maybe try a different one?

Maxwell
03-09-15, 09:25 PM
The "New Posts" footer link is gone for me now.

Anyone else? :confused:
We're (mostly Bok) trying to fix some errors that are preventing us from doing a few Admin-y things (e.g., editing the front page). That does seem to have gone, but we'll try and add it back in as soon as we get things sorted out. Sorry about the inconvenience.

EDIT: At least, this is in the Default style.

Bok
03-09-15, 09:58 PM
That was one of the customisations that seems to have been causing the problem. Not sure how it was added it but it doesn't seem to be a plugin.

I tend to just use the 'Whats New' tab at the top which is the same thing I believe.

Co-incidentally (or not) I think this was all part of the code that was giving us trouble a few months ago with the 'isocoderz' link and hijack.

Ron Shurtz
03-09-15, 10:53 PM
Co-incidentally (or not) I think this was all part of the code that was giving us trouble a few months ago with the 'isocoderz' link and hijack.

Thanks for the info and the hard work on the site you two.
Whatever it takes to keep the 'isocoderz' issue from coming back I'm all for.
I got in some hot water at the office, accessing the forum from there during that time.