PDA

View Full Version : Hacking the PS3 Open Source Style.

Fire$torm
04-19-11, 04:36 PM
I decided to start a separate thread for the PS3 Mods. Please note that for now only legal information is to added here. So with that in mind I have found an Open Source app for the PS3 which (at least for the moment) protects it from any take down orders.

It is called PSGroove and has its own website at http://psgroove.com/

This app/utility does NOT allow running pirated games or running software from external sources but can get you crunching by reconfiguring a PS3 to run alternative OS's like Linux.

I have not done any indepth research yet since I do not own a PS3. I will continue to locate more apps/utilities. In this regard I have heard of another promising utility called PSfreedomUI. I will post more when time allows.

trigggl
04-19-11, 05:17 PM
I decided to start a separate thread for the PS3 Mods. Please note that for now only legal information is to added here. So with that in mind I have found an Open Source app for the PS3 which (at least for the moment) protects it from any take down orders.

It is called PSGroove and has its own website at http://psgroove.com/

This app/utility does NOT allow running pirated games or running software from external sources but can get you crunching by reconfiguring a PS3 to run alternative OS's like Linux.

I have not done any indepth research yet since I do not own a PS3. I will continue to locate more apps/utilities. In this regard I have heard of another promising utility called PSfreedomUI. I will post more when time allows.

To tell you the truth, if we could convince Sony to offer a BOINC app, I wouldn't mind losing Linux on it that much. Linux isn't supported very well since OtherOS has been disabled. Netflix and BOINC, that's all I want.

Maxwell
04-19-11, 05:19 PM
To tell you the truth, if we could convince Sony to offer a BOINC app, I wouldn't mind losing Linux on it that much. Linux isn't supported very well since OtherOS has been disabled. Netflix and BOINC, that's all I want.
+111111111111111111111

Dandasarge
04-19-11, 06:25 PM

Also agree, but since we probably aren't talking them into it anytime soon. I would love to see if it could be built for under 100 bucks. That way we had a no worrys project. Set up about 10 of them and work on some other project #1's

zombie67
04-19-11, 08:22 PM
Also agree, but since we probably aren't talking them into it anytime soon. I would love to see if it could be built for under 100 bucks. That way we had a no worrys project. Set up about 10 of them and work on some other project #1's

The monthly power cost for 10 PS3s would be outrageous.