PDA

View Full Version : cheapest way to run 3 GPUs?

zombie67
06-20-20, 01:27 AM
I have GPUs sitting on a shelf: a 1660 Ti, and two 1030 GTs. I want to get them crunching as cheaply as possible.

At first, I thought of building a cheap PC with at least 3 PCIe slots, and the minimum everything else. Even the cheapest build is not so cheap...$500+

Suggestions?

FourOh
06-20-20, 12:47 PM
Would you want to reclaim Wasp? I haven't been able to run for some time... PSU and case went to my latest dual-Xeon rig. I believe you can run 3 GPUs, although you might be limited on PCI lanes for projects like Einstein: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme3/index.asp

zombie67
06-21-20, 09:09 AM
Heh. Keep it, or pass it on.

I was just wondering if there was some build configuration that I was overlooking. But I think even the cheapest build is not worth it.

zombie67
07-01-20, 10:38 PM
What about the mining motherboards with a boatload of x1 PCIe slots? Is that x1 really a bottleneck to GPU crunching?

Bryan
07-02-20, 11:39 AM
There was a guy on either HardOCP or TaaT in the Pentathlon 3 years ago that had a boatload of GPUs ... 30-50 or something like that. HE was shooting his mouth off big time but once the GPU project was announced he couldn't do squat. I think there are some projects that work and some that don't.

I suggest sending a PM to vietoz and asking him about it. He is a BIG player on BOINC and he has some mining type setups ... I've seen pictures.

John P. Myers
07-02-20, 09:18 PM
Something like PG or Collatz is ok-ish on X1. Einstein will crush you though