PDA

View Full Version : Zen3?

zombie67
06-25-20, 10:11 PM
Aside from general improvements in speed and maybe power consumption, is there anything about zen3 that would significantly help crunching? Anything like AVX-512, or a huge increase in L3, or...?

Bryan
06-25-20, 10:14 PM
No AVX 512 but it blows the doors off of a 2990WX because all dies have direct memory access.

zombie67
06-26-20, 01:47 AM
No AVX 512 but it blows the doors off of a 2990WX because all dies have direct memory access.

I guess I am asking about how does Zen3 compare to Zen2? Is Zen3 going to be such more than Zen2 (my my 3970X)? Does Zen2 have the same problem that your Zen1 (2990WX) has?

zombie67
09-08-20, 08:03 PM
Any idea on release dates and availability for Zen3 yet? Other than "2020", I mean?

John P. Myers
09-08-20, 08:11 PM
Not yet. Still no new confirmed info. Pretty sure there won't be a core increase this time though

John P. Myers
10-08-20, 02:10 PM
5950X to boost 4.9GHz. 105W TDP. 16c/32t. 64MB of L3 cache + 8MB of L2. 19% IPC improvement. Compatible with the same socket though support on 300 series boards will be sketchy. 400 and 500 series will be no problem.

Edit: BIOS updates to support Zen 3 for the 500 series motherboards should roll out on November 5th. 400 Series in January.

The new CPUs should also be available November 5th.

zombie67
10-08-20, 08:32 PM
Interesting to me is the L3 cache structure. With Zen2, it was 16mb for each group of 4 cores. With Zen3, it is 32mb for each group of 8 cores. Same amount total. But now you can run a bigger size of task without having to go to RAM. So it should help running big PG tasks, and increasing the thread count from 4 to 8 without taking a speed hit.

John P. Myers
10-08-20, 09:08 PM
Interesting to me is the L3 cache structure. With Zen2, it was 16mb for each group of 4 cores. With Zen3, it is 32mb for each group of 8 cores. Same amount total. But now you can run a bigger size of task without having to go to RAM. So it should help running big PG tasks, and increasing the thread count from 4 to 8 without taking a speed hit.Right. Pretty sure the majority of the IPC increase is due to the latency reduction from restructuring the cache this way.

DrPop
10-09-20, 04:32 PM
Right. Pretty sure the majority of the IPC increase is due to the latency reduction from restructuring the cache this way.

So would you say this is the one to jump in on? Good bang for the buck longevity on one of these for a long-ish range build cruncher? I might be able to get back in the game a bit eventually. C303a is sending me some Haswell boards, never know, if this looks good and I could build one of these up, my output might look so bad forever. :D

John P. Myers
10-09-20, 05:46 PM
So would you say this is the one to jump in on? Good bang for the buck longevity on one of these for a long-ish range build cruncher? I might be able to get back in the game a bit eventually. C303a is sending me some Haswell boards, never know, if this looks good and I could build one of these up, my output might look so bad forever. :D

As a long-ish range cruncher, it'd be great. Hell, i still have a P4 with a GT 430 i fire up for the Pentathlon lol

It's also worth mentioning Intel is cutting AVX-512 from their Alder Lake gen launching next year, so there's that

zombie67
10-12-20, 10:36 PM
It's also worth mentioning Intel is cutting AVX-512 from their Alder Lake gen launching next year, so there's that

Does this mean Intel is abandoning AVX-512? Or just for some of the future CPUs? And why?

John P. Myers
10-12-20, 10:52 PM
Does this mean Intel is abandoning AVX-512? Or just for some of the future CPUs? And why?Don't know yet if it will only be that gen or if they're removing it from mainstream entirely but keeping it on Xeons.

DrPop
10-12-20, 11:38 PM
Don't know yet if it will only be that gen or if they're removing it from mainstream entirely but keeping it on Xeons.

From what I can read of AVX-512, it's a bit of a cluster. Issues with the frequency hit on the whole processor speed just for dipping into the AVX code, as well as the problem of it being included in some CPUs but not others of similar lines. I don't know much more than that, but seems like some (most?) developers aren't too happy about the situation.

John P. Myers
10-13-20, 06:09 AM
From what I can read of AVX-512, it's a bit of a cluster. Issues with the frequency hit on the whole processor speed just for dipping into the AVX code, as well as the problem of it being included in some CPUs but not others of similar lines. I don't know much more than that, but seems like some (most?) developers aren't too happy about the situation.

Yeah hardly anyone adopted AVX-512 and Intel has mainly been using it to artificially score better in benchmarks and to appear to have a higher stable frequency until the hit from using AVX-512. And then there's the excessive heat. With Alder Lake though, it's going to be a clusterf*ck because some of the cores on those CPUs will be regular cores while others will be Atom cores. AFAIK there will be no HT and i wish good luck on an OS trying to schedule tasks properly because of the decreased capabilities of Atom. Will be many bugs to work out, i'm sure.

pinhodecarlos
10-13-20, 07:28 AM
Prime hunting adopts AVX-512.

John P. Myers
10-16-20, 09:59 PM
4000 MHz RAM will be optimal this time it looks like