PDA

View Full Version : Microwulf Cluster & BOINC

DrPop
04-20-11, 03:58 AM
OK, so I've always had this crazy idea that I'd like to make a "Microwulf" Cluster. (A mini Beowulf Cluster.)

Now that I have two of the same board from BOK, with similar dual Opty's on each mobo and ECC RAM, it is a possibility. I know the efficiency won't be 100%, because there is some overhead. However, it is really a project I'd love to try as it's always been in the back of my mind.

Here's my question: Do you think BOINC could "see" the GPU on the second node (the slave computer) and use it to crunch? If not, then the trade off of the "cool project" factor is too great - we need those GPU points. If the general consensus is that BOINC could probably see the GPU on the second node computer, then I'd like to give this a shot.

Thanks for any tips or info from the gurus.

Fire$torm
04-20-11, 08:41 AM
I wish I could help. You have just entered rarefied air.

trigggl
04-20-11, 09:21 AM
Yeah. BOINC is already distributed. Running it on a cluster is kind of redundant.

Dandasarge
04-20-11, 09:34 AM
Yeah. BOINC is already distributed. Running it on a cluster is kind of redundant.

I think hes looking for the big points from 1 computer ID.

I think anyone who could set up a beo could also get them to see the GPU's

http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze24qhw/

DrPop
04-20-11, 11:34 PM
I wish I could help. You have just entered rarefied air.

rar·e·fied/ˈre(ə)rəˌfīd/Adjective
1. (of air, esp. that at high altitudes) Containing less oxygen than usual.
2. Esoterically distant from the lives and concerns of ordinary people.

Yep. Beowulf Cluster definitely qualifies here! :DX_X

Fire$torm
08-22-11, 09:07 PM
Question. Would a group of PS3s make a better Beowulf Cluster then say an equal number of Core i7s?

trigggl
08-22-11, 09:20 PM
Question. Would a group of PS3s make a better Beowulf Cluster then say an equal number of Core i7s?

A good cluster to what end? Sounds like admin masochism to me. It gives me a headache just thinking about it. @-)

Fire$torm
08-22-11, 10:44 PM
A good cluster to what end? Sounds like admin masochism to me. It gives me a headache just thinking about it. @-)

Maybe to discover the question to the answer of 42?

:D :D :D

Maxwell
08-23-11, 01:25 AM
I think that depends on the research question and the requirements. There was a researcher a while back who was doing planetary simulations, and put about a dozen PS3s together for a supercomputer to do his research. It worked well. Based on my experience, I would suspect that you would a) have to know the hardware REALLY well, and b) not need a lot of RAM. Trigggl can probably elaborate (if he gets bored and wants to), but I don't think this is going to be a common thing. Especially with the way Sony has handicapped them now.

trigggl
08-23-11, 07:21 AM
I think that depends on the research question and the requirements. There was a researcher a while back who was doing planetary simulations, and put about a dozen PS3s together for a supercomputer to do his research. It worked well. Based on my experience, I would suspect that you would a) have to know the hardware REALLY well, and b) not need a lot of RAM. Trigggl can probably elaborate (if he gets bored and wants to), but I don't think this is going to be a common thing. Especially with the way Sony has handicapped them now.

Point Number 1:

Anything you do, you'll need to write your own programs. (That's where I give up and stop)

Your programs will have to:

a) have a portion compiled with one compiler for the SPU's

b) the other portion has to be compiled with a different compiler and be written to call the first portion
__hyperthread one task among 6 SPU's or run one task on each SPU?

c) getting the cluster to work in the first place (another place where I've given up and stopped)
__hyperthread one task among 'n' PS3's or run one on each PS3?

Point Number 2:

Did I mention you have to code this yourself?

Fire$torm
08-23-11, 10:32 AM
Thx trigggl. Time to go back to my crayons and coloring books............

trigggl
08-23-11, 06:02 PM
Thx trigggl. Time to go back to my crayons and coloring books............

One positive thing about a PS3 cluster, if you could get it to work. You could use a regular PC with plenty of Ram to be the Master. I guess you would still have Ram limitations on the PS3 side, but I suppose if there was something the PS3 could do that had an app already, you could have the server divvy out the work. You would still need to have a program written or re-written to use the SPUs, but I could see doing things like ripping cd's or encoding a music library. It's something I would only do if I had a specific job in mind and was willing to take the time to acquire or create the PS3 app. Maybe it's easier than I remember it? :-??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster

Crazybob
08-23-11, 06:29 PM
Sounds like something very interesting, if you have the time to put into it. If you decide to proceed, keep us up to date. Sounds like it could also be a real headache!:(