PDA

View Full Version : GIMPS - Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search

pinhodecarlos
12-13-20, 03:52 AM
Hi all,

As per title and amazed we are ranked 496th overall since 1995.

1) who’s the owner of the team there since the link to webpage takes us to setiusa.net, this must be sorted out.

2) there’s a variety of types of work on there from CPU less intensive work, shall I say, to GPU and CPU intensive.

3) since I have a small and slow computer I’m doing work for PRP-DC-CF, this means probably prime testing to known cofactors and this is where I’m helping the second wave reaching the first wave. Each unit is tested in 3 hours with one worker 4 threads. Imagine if you have a 8 core machine with HT disable you would run 2 workers 4 threads each. Client for a few months have been updated to a version like PrimeGrid where you can now certify a test by only one passage, but still a bunch of backlog to doublecheck until we reach the point of only one passage needed for this type of work. Anyway, where I’m working we still have 40,000 units to process. I’ll post a step by step guide on Windows and Linux to anyone who would like to join me. Important is that once the test is completed the client will need to upload a 11MB file to the server, the certification.

pinhodecarlos
12-13-20, 06:59 AM
Download:

https://www.mersenne.org/download/

How to install:

https://www.mersenne.org/gettingstarted/

Work types (the ones mentioned above are PRP-CF-D)

https://www.mersenne.org/worktypes/

When you are setting up the work type on the client it will ask then how many workers and threads, also please not to tick off the certification work.

DrPop
12-13-20, 12:04 PM
It could be a site that still has the old admin credentials from more than a decade ago. Way back then, I believe there were a few that we never did get switched over. Maybe enough time has gone by that the admins at GIMPS would allow us to edit that now.

pinhodecarlos
12-13-20, 12:43 PM
It could be a site that still has the old admin credentials from more than a decade ago. Way back then, I believe there were a few that we never did get switched over. Maybe enough time has gone by that the admins at GIMPS would allow us to edit that now.

I can try to speak with admin to update the team url to this forum.

pinhodecarlos
12-15-20, 04:50 PM
Web page changed. Also we can change the team's "admin/owner" if you can send me primenet user_id for the new owner.

Al
12-15-20, 09:47 PM
Web page changed. Also we can change the team's "admin/owner" if you can send me primenet user_id for the new owner.
I have absolutely no idea what it would be or if the current Admin structure was in effect when it was set up. Carlos, can you have the team transferred to your user id then we could set up a team account and transfer ownership.

pinhodecarlos
12-16-20, 02:24 AM
I have absolutely no idea what it would be or if the current Admin structure was in effect when it was set up. Carlos, can you have the team transferred to your user id then we could set up a team account and transfer ownership.

Team account is already setup, I don’t understand what’s the issue now. You can join and then I’ll request the ownership to be transferred to you for example. Or there was a prior team for SETI.USA? Please go here https://www.mersenne.org/report_top_teams/ and setup customise to pick up all teams since 1995-01-01 and let me know.

pinhodecarlos
12-16-20, 12:15 PM
See PM, all done and fixed.

Al
12-16-20, 04:02 PM
See PM, all done and fixed.

Thank you Carlos. The Team, SETI.USA, is now current and under our Admin control. If interested, jump on. Admin's information has been updated on our forum.

pinhodecarlos
12-18-20, 02:06 AM
SETI.USA position 490th...slowly going up.

pinhodecarlos
12-18-20, 07:37 AM
Currently, in the range from 9M to 11M, there are 1,461 PRP-CF-DCs assigned. In total 36,156 exponents to go.

That means, we have a progress of around 453 exponents per day, so ETA with our current speed is around 80 days.

pinhodecarlos
12-25-20, 03:52 AM
Graph from two weeks ago: https://www.mersenneforum.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23953&d=1607702544

We are trying to get the green line to clash to the red one as soon as possible. Hope today to have an updated one.
We are now ranked 481.

pinhodecarlos
12-25-20, 12:10 PM
Currently, in the range from 9M to 11M, there are 1,524 PRP-CF-DCs assigned. In total, there are 33,032 exponents to go.

That means, we have a progress of around 446 exponents per day, so ETA with our current speed is around 74 days.

scole of TSBT
12-30-20, 09:30 AM
How do run this on a Radeon VII? I installed Prime95, ran it but could find any options to use the GPU.

EDIT: Never mind. I didn't scroll down the Prime95 programs page to see the GPU apps

EDIT2: I have gpuowl installed but really need some suggestions on the command line options/values to use

pinhodecarlos
12-30-20, 11:14 AM
Too painful and manual, read here: https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=23391
Running instead the CPU version for PRP-CF-DC will be less painful.

pinhodecarlos
12-30-20, 11:23 AM
The GPU client will allow you to run for PPR-WR (world record), each candidate will take you 7 hours, 300 MB file upload to server and 11GB of space, manually fetch assignments from server, script to upload...
All GPU work, PRP or trial factoring, must be fetch manually from server.

The CPU client is automated and you can choose work type. The PRP-DC-CF are the fastest wus to run at the moment.

pinhodecarlos
01-01-21, 06:44 PM
Currently, in the range from 9M to 11M, there are 1,664 PRP-CF-DCs assigned. In total, there are 29,511 exponents to go.

That means, we have a progress of around 503 exponents per day, so ETA with our current speed is around 59 days.

pinhodecarlos
01-02-21, 05:07 AM
Some figures: my old laptop avx running 1 worker with 4 threads tests a PRP-CF-DC in 3 hours and 15 mins. Nowadays machine can do like 40-50 per day, I’m on 8 per day.

pinhodecarlos
01-16-21, 03:15 AM
Currently, in the range from 9M to 11M, there are 1,544 PRP-CF-DCs assigned. In total, there are 22,497 exponents to go.

That means, we have a progress of around 517 exponents per day, so ETA with our current speed is around 44 days.

pinhodecarlos
02-21-21, 08:54 AM
Currently, in the range from 9M to 11M, there are 1,705 PRP-CF-DCs assigned. In total, there are 10,153 exponents to go.

That means, we have a progress of around 373 exponents per day, so ETA with our current speed is around 27 days.