PDA

View Full Version : dual cpu load balance with VM

MindCrime
01-13-21, 11:08 AM
ive probably discussed this before but obviously any remedy didnt stick.

i have a dual cpu t5500 and i want to run a linux vm. vbox seems to launch the vms only on cpu0.

i tried playing with process lasso affinity but that didnt work, or i went about it wrong.

ideally id like both cpus utilized under one vm.

Al
01-13-21, 12:30 PM
ive probably discussed this before but obviously any remedy didnt stick.

i have a dual cpu t5500 and i want to run a linux vm. vbox seems to launch the vms only on cpu0.

i tried playing with process lasso affinity but that didnt work, or i went about it wrong.

ideally id like both cpus utilized under one vm.
It's been a long time since I ran a vm...so pardon my memory. On the main vbox page, under SYSTEM, what does it say your processor count is?

scole of TSBT
01-13-21, 05:51 PM
Setup a dual boot system and run native linux when needed. Then you also have the option to run GPU apps.

MindCrime
01-14-21, 02:01 AM
Setup a dual boot system and run native linux when needed. Then you also have the option to run GPU apps.

i think this is the best choice, its going to come down to hd space.

MindCrime
01-15-21, 12:54 AM
i think this is the best choice, its going to come down to hd space.

forgot i could just run off the live usb. so far they seem to run about 25-30% faster than the vm. going to run out this first set of 12 then turn it up into the logic threads and see how they do.

scole of TSBT
01-15-21, 06:23 AM
are both drive caddies already used?

MindCrime
01-15-21, 09:20 AM
it has two drives, a 78gb, and a 250ish gb. i can clear out the 78gb, it has win7 boinc data and VM files, which i wouldnt need if doing dual boot. ill run this on the usb stick without installing for now.. cause it works and im lazy and prone to screwing things up.