PDA

View Full Version : DrPop's Last Stand

DrPop
04-21-11, 04:36 PM
Welcome to some photos of DrPop’s Last Stand.

This team has come a long way in the past year. This is my best effort – literally all I’ve got. I did it for all of us – to help show that we’re back and better than ever. That we're Up on our feet and swinging again. May we unite many a USA friendly cruncher to the cause. Long live The Team!

If I named all who helped me reach this level, I'd be naming nearly all on these forums, and I don’t want to bore everyone with all my sentimental feelings. However, a special thanks to my good friend Joker. Without you, I may have thrown in the towel for any “big crunching” after the fire on the DrPop rig. But, unsolicited, you offered to split your GPU power with me, and kept my RAC afloat. It was moral support more than anything else while I was trying to scrape together funds to rebuild.

Ah, what the heck. Can’t resist a quick shout-out :)) to Beer & Fire$torm for all the encouraging PMs (Beer, hope you liked the package from the USA!) :D , and to Mike for your constant upgrades along the way that kept me inspired. Thanks to Teratoma who picked me to have a shot at this Admin thing, Hankey for all the help actually doing the Admin thing; And finally, to the entire crew here at SETI.USA (yes even Maxwell and the MM gang, LOL! :D), and our friends from other teams who help us out - thank you for doing what you do day in and day out for science, for Country, and for The Team.
Thank you to BOK for hosting, the encouragement to crunch on, and the dual Opteron mobo & CPU combos! ;)
So, here it is: the last few nights worth of craziness, and I’m all out now…for the moment, at least. **==

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_JmHssVcV67s/TbCWV1oRy2I/AAAAAAAAABY/HUjTrfi54ow/Topside.jpg

BOK sent me two older dual Opteron boards & CPU combos with the understanding that I would use it to help the team. We are doing our best to get an email server installed on the first rig so that the team may resume newsletter and email blast activities in the near future.

The first server rig we will call “DrBOK” for obvious reasons, and the second rig will be “DrKIM” in honor of my beautiful (and now long suffering) wife. :P I have moved them across the room and you can see in the first photo, both sets of keyboards and monitors on the large, black table in the back room of my office. In the next shot, you can see “under the hood” where both server rigs are running caseless on the ledge under the table.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_JmHssVcV67s/TbCWVaZZDwI/AAAAAAAAABU/W83r_UU7rmM/Underhood.jpg

DrBOK is running an ASUS K8N-DL (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131059&cm_re=asus_k8n-dl-_-13-131-059-_-Product) , (2) dual core Opteron 275 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103551) CPUs, 3GB ECC DDR 400 RAM, 80GB HDD, 750W Thermaltake TR2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153136&Tpk=tr2%20750w) PSU, and EVGA GTX 465 SC (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130557&cm_re=gtx_465-_-14-130-557-_-Product) GPU.

DrKIM is running an ASUS K8N-DL (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131059&cm_re=asus_k8n-dl-_-13-131-059-_-Product), (2) dual core Opteron 270 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103552) CPUs, 2GB ECC DDR 400 RAM, 80GB HDD, 650W Antec PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015&cm_re=650w_antec-_-17-371-015-_-Product), and Galaxy GTX 460 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162058&cm_re=galaxy_gtx_460-_-14-162-058-_-Product) GPU .

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_JmHssVcV67s/TbCWUskMRQI/AAAAAAAAABQ/upLTXHes_j4/s512/DrPop.jpg

In the next photo, the DrPop rig stands alone, now on the other side of the room. But not to worry, he’s not lonely… gave him a wireless card last night, so he’s all the rage now, bad and burly in that HAF 932 with a recently upgraded BFG 1KW PSU, the Phenom II X6 1100T, an HD5870 and GTX 460 inside, that’s one credit hungry dude lookin' at ya! :D
And of course, you all know what Kat’s little pink and white computer looks like from last year…only now it’s sporting Joker’s HD5830 (on loan), and the 4870 is now in my bro’s rig (crunching on her account).

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_JmHssVcV67s/TbCWUIkzCeI/AAAAAAAAABM/Z2CnWCiUVoM/Trigggl.jpg

EDIT: And now…the dual Opteron rigs wait the touch of the Master of all Linux Masters…SETI.USA’s very own…Trigggl !!!
He is in the process of compiling a Gentoo Linux build from scratch on both rigs remotely, from thousands of miles away. As soon as they come to life…there will be a nice credit increase for The Best Team in the West! Er…no pressure there…just take yer time, Mr. Trigggl. :D ;)

Fire$torm
04-21-11, 05:08 PM
Very Very Cool indeed. It has occurred to me that the "Dr. Pipe Case" could be redesigned for both of those boards but I might be on the large side. Let me know if you want me to take a crack at it. It would look really sweet in shiny copper :D BTW - I found during the last run that they make RED copper. Now That would be Rad!

Crunch On Bro \m/

c303a
04-21-11, 05:28 PM
Looks like you could use a KVM setup so you could run 1 monitor, keyboard and mouse for the 2 computers. Or you could get a 4 port and run 4 boxes off of 1 keyboard, mouse and monitor......or a bigger one to run more boxes. Have to think of down the road.:D:D:D

Bok
04-21-11, 05:32 PM
Glad I can help out. Very cool that you got them both up and running. You've already got an email server when you installed linux unless you severely limited the install!

Try it :)

mailx -s "test mail" <youremailaddress>
<enter>
This is a test
CTRL-D
CTRL-D

Can't believe you have everything so neat and tidy. My main windows machine is sitting next to me here on my desk in a wire basket right now! My servers are all neatly tucked away though with their own UPS's and such.

EDIT @C303A, I think DrPop intends to run the linux boxen headless as he should, just need ssh and probably a good dose of 'screen' :)

DrPop
04-21-11, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments, I appreciate it. Yeah, planning on running these headless and all - the monitors and keyboards are hooked up right now so I can help trigggl (more like get in his way) if he needs it while doing the install. :o

Can't wait to see these bad boys hum! :D

Steve Bohlen
04-21-11, 06:08 PM
One word:

Awesome

joker
04-21-11, 06:16 PM
I don't see any GPU's in those things. :-" ;)

c303a
04-21-11, 06:26 PM
Leave it to Joker to want more....Give him some time. I'm sure that eventually GPU's will appear out of nowhere. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DrPop
04-21-11, 07:37 PM
Leave it to Joker to want more....Give him some time. I'm sure that eventually GPU's will appear out of nowhere. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

hehehe...yeah maybe I should have circled 'em and put big arrows pointing at them in PhotoShop so he'd know they were there. ;) :cool:

Fire$torm
04-21-11, 07:51 PM

hehehe...yeah maybe I should have circled 'em and put big arrows pointing at them in PhotoShop so he'd know they were there. ;) :cool:

Are they 5xxx or 6xxx cards?

joker
04-21-11, 07:55 PM
One should be a GTX 465. Dont know about the other.

zombie67
04-21-11, 08:41 PM
Awesome!
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

DrPop
04-21-11, 10:50 PM
Are they 5xxx or 6xxx cards?

To build on what Joker said: the one is a GTX 465. Unfortunately it won't bios mod to 470 like Joker's, but it does O/C pretty well.
The other two are GTX 460's - one is ASUS and one is Galaxy. So I have 3 new CUDA cards in all. Plus the HD5870 and then Joker's HD5830 on loan, and Kat's 4870 on her account.
That ought to net us some good RAC. :cool:

To top it all off...my brother just split the cost of another AMD X6 CPU with me, and it will go in his rig. Kat will get the AMD X4 back and I'll Ebay the Sempron - unles someone here wants it (unlocks to a dual core on a decent mobo). So...a net gain of 5 cores there in about a week + the 8 cores from BOK.
So I'll be up 13 cores, for a total of 24 AMD cores. Itching to get them all running. ;)
Now, I'm OFFICIALLY DONE with upgrading for a while. :cool::P

EDIT: Here's a screen shot from Trigggl compiling Gentoo from scratch - thousands of miles away! Man, is he fast on that screen... :)
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_JmHssVcV67s/TbD0_LSUxKI/AAAAAAAAABk/ZczUgBu5l1k/install.jpg

Long live The Team and good Ol' USA! Crunch 'em proud, boys! **==

Dandasarge
04-21-11, 11:36 PM
Dr. Pop. / Mr. Jed Smith.

Almost feels like a Jed Clampett coming out of my mind, guy out in Cali making it a legit way. I'm sure I speak for myself when I say thanks. If any one else whats to do it they can do it on there own. Men like you don't have last stands. They have many stands, always for the better. You are not a Custer but a Lee a man that spends his life fighting for what is right.

We do not 1/2 the time see the same thing. In fact that's prob twice as much as anyone else has seen the same as I. The team unites behind you. You are a smart man so use that, use that to push SUSA to the next chapter!

PS. Caseless computers are sexy!

trigggl
04-21-11, 11:46 PM
To build on what Joker said: the one is a GTX 465. Unfortunately it won't bios mod to 470 like Joker's, but it does O/C pretty well.
The other two are GTX 460's - one is ASUS and one is Galaxy. So I have 3 new CUDA cards in all. Plus the HD5870 and then Joker's HD5830 on loan, and Kat's 4870 on her account.
That ought to net us some good RAC. :cool:

To top it all off...my brother just split the cost of another AMD X6 CPU with me, and it will go in his rig. Kat will get the AMD X4 back and I'll Ebay the Sempron - unles someone here wants it (unlocks to a dual core on a decent mobo). So...a net gain of 5 cores there in about a week + the 8 cores from BOK.
So I'll be up 13 cores, for a total of 24 AMD cores. Itching to get them all running. ;)

EDIT: Here's a screen shot from Trigggl compiling Gentoo from scratch - thousands of miles away! Man, is he fast on that screen... :)

Long live The Team and good Ol' USA! Crunch 'em proud, boys! **==

Caught in the act of fixing the date.

I'm at the kernel compile stage. I'll be starting that tomorrow morning.

As I'm sure is obvious to Bok right about now, yes, we are using screen. I think screen has got to be one of my favorite apps.

I have cluster ssh connected to both pc's, so the install is happening on both at the same time. Can't wait to see how fast the install goes with 8 cores working on it, or boinc for that matter. We'll be crunching before a GUI is installed, that's if we even bother to give them a GUI. Well, I guess it would be good to have one Linux computer in the house with a GUI.

Thanks to DrPop for trusting me to be on his network. Though, since the rest of the computers are Windows, he has nothing to fear from me. I wouldn't know how to hack them if I wanted to.

Oh, and by the way, thanks to DrPop for the hard drive you gave me a while ago. That's in my daughter's computer that we exchanged the P3 for right before the P3 became an overclocked dual core. (basically jacked up the hard drive and installed a new computer)

joker
04-22-11, 12:05 AM
Thank your wife for us DrPop. ;)

Bok
04-22-11, 12:07 AM
As I'm sure is obvious to Bok right about now, yes, we are using screen. I think screen has got to be one of my favorite apps.

Indeed, screen is a very under utilised piece of software. I use it extensively and have for many years both at home and in my work. I ALWAYS try to show people why they should use it! :)

YoDude9999
04-22-11, 01:44 AM
But me thinks you need a spankin' and Joker said he was up for the job! Now if he can't muster it up, I just may have to step up to the plate. ;)

Yo-

joker
04-22-11, 02:12 AM
Spank me baby one more time...

DrPop
04-22-11, 02:35 AM
Thanks all for the kind words. Really appreciate the comaraderie here these days.
And yes, yes, all in good time. I'm sure you'll rocket past me in daily credits again like I'm standing still, and all know I would welcome the increase for the team. But, please- let me at least get them all running and pulling down over 1Mil / day before we have any spankings going on here! :D ;)
I'm just glad to be able to post a rally point for the team this time around.

Oh, one more thing - I should probably mention we're about to get a little help from some friends, too...you guys know who you are so thanks! :)

Beerdrinker
04-22-11, 03:46 AM
Very awesome setup DrPop!!

Glad I have been of some assistance for you. So looking forward to push S.USA even further!! Only 8-10 days left. :cool:

Crazybob's Son
04-22-11, 08:21 AM

You say that now... wait a few months when you can find a GPU to upgrade a slight bit more...

This happens if you get a coder doing something he actually likes. Fingers just start flyin.

GregK
04-22-11, 08:30 AM
last stand! for a second there i panicked thought you were splitting. your a great leader drpop without you i dont know where we'd be now. thanks man for bringing this team back together this team used to care for eachother and our position then i think we lost that for a tad thats until drpop and all you guys decided enough was enough and here we are! i feel like this team is much more positive and competitive than before the other teams know with fear we are coming back!!;)

trigggl man your talent floors me! thank you bro for all your doing for the team!!

Mike029
04-22-11, 09:54 AM
Awesome job Doc.!! Thank you for your kind words and your dedication to the team. Great job. Do you have any empty PCI-e slots?

DrPop
04-22-11, 11:36 AM
Thanks, it's all for the team. Hmmm...empty PCI-e slots? What are those?:-/ hehehe just kidding!
Well, truth be told, I do have 2 more empties; one in KAT and one in DrPop. Well, 3 I guess if you count the extra in my bro's rig - but that might require a PSU upgrade in his as well...so only 2 "real accessible" =P~

But shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!:-$ Don't tell the Mrs. DrPop! :D:-" I'm honestly walking a fine line here at this point...not afraid to say it out loud that I love her and if I spent the $$$ to fill those two remaining slots at this exact here moment in time...er...#-o:-& let's just say I have my suspicions it might not turn out so well. She has been pretty easy going about this last round...I'm thinking I should hold right here on the expenditures. For a bit, of course. :D ;):-bd

Crazybob's Son
04-22-11, 11:39 AM
Thanks, it's all for the team. Hmmm...empty PCI-e slots? What are those?:-/ hehehe just kidding!
Well, truth be told, I do have 2 more empties; one in KAT and one in DrPop. Well, 3 I guess if you count the extra in my bro's rig - but that might require a PSU upgrade in his as well...so only 2 "real accessible" =P~

But shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!:-$ Don't tell the Mrs. DrPop! :D:-" I'm honestly walking a fine line here at this point...not afraid to say it out loud that I love her and if I spent the $$$ to fill those two remaining slots at this exact here moment in time...er...#-o:-& let's just say I have my suspicions it might not turn out so well. She has been pretty easy going about this last round...I'm thinking I should hold right here on the expenditures. For a bit, of course. :D ;):-bd

That just gives you time to save up for the good stuff :cool:

Crazybob
04-22-11, 02:38 PM
Way to go DrP! Tell the wife she can start her own blog on the servers and talk to poeple with like ideals all over the world. Whether that happens or not eh. Should keep her distracted for a while and liking the new hardware. Can't wait to see those things pumping out credit. As far as our friends go, I hope they decide to stick around for a long time. There is really a place for everyone around here. No need to venture elsewhere. Go team!

trigggl
04-22-11, 08:59 PM
We have two new booting Gentoo systems. I'm installing the nvidia-driver and boinc as I type.

We might have these things crunching tonight or tomorrow morning. It will be soon. Perhaps I should start them off on the BlackOps account?

DrPop is out of pocket at the moment, so I didn't ask in time where to put them or under what account. With the cuda, that's definitely going to Primegrid. Aqua with the CPU's? (4 cores each)

Is this something I should be discussing in team only?

These things compile a kernel lightning fast. =P~

Dandasarge
04-22-11, 09:22 PM
We have two new booting Gentoo systems. I'm installing the nvidia-driver and boinc as I type.

We might have these things crunching tonight or tomorrow morning. It will be soon. Perhaps I should start them off on the BlackOps account?

DrPop is out of pocket at the moment, so I didn't ask in time where to put them or under what account. With the cuda, that's definitely going to Primegrid. Aqua with the CPU's? (4 cores each)

Is this something I should be discussing in team only?

These things compile a kernel lightning fast. =P~

Trigggl, This is awesome! you should put them under your name and see how long it takes him to figure it out :)

GregK
04-22-11, 09:23 PM
lol trigggl are you having fun?:) nice magic there your creating! i cant wait to watch the credits sky rocket!

Mumps
04-22-11, 10:44 PM
trigggl, I'd recommend PrimaBoinca for the CPU's. There's an AMD bias there, and, as of today, SG is outcrunching us there, so we won't have that #1 Team spot for long unless we get back on it.

Besides, it's good credits too!

trigggl
04-23-11, 12:00 AM
trigggl, I'd recommend PrimaBoinca for the CPU's. There's an AMD bias there, and, as of today, SG is outcrunching us there, so we won't have that #1 Team spot for long unless we get back on it.

Besides, it's good credits too!

Well, he did email me back, so I have my marching orders.

For those keeping score at home, they are KIM and BOK (currently). Trying to get them ready to go tonight. Decided I wanted boincmgr installed. That's 46 more packages to install. I'm at about 36.

GregK
04-23-11, 12:02 AM
nice thanks for the update!

Beerdrinker
04-23-11, 01:02 AM
Well, he did email me back, so I have my marching orders.

For those keeping score at home, they are KIM and BOK (currently). Trying to get them ready to go tonight. Decided I wanted boincmgr installed. That's 46 more packages to install. I'm at about 36.

Awesome! Man I am glad that DrPop is on "our" side...He be smoking now!

trigggl
04-23-11, 01:45 AM
Houston, we have a problem!

I can't get this router to play nice with Gentoo.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6003/screenshotrootbokvarlib.png

Anyone know anything about TRENDnet routers?

Bok
04-23-11, 10:35 AM
It's not resolving anything at all?

What does

cat /etc/resolv.conf

and

ifconfig -a

say ?

what about traceroute 8.8.8.8

I tend to use google's nameservers these days (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

The machine shouldn't care about any router upstream at all really.

trigggl
04-23-11, 10:55 AM
It's not resolving anything at all?

What does

cat /etc/resolv.conf

and

ifconfig -a

say ?

what about traceroute 8.8.8.8

I tend to use google's nameservers these days (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

The machine shouldn't care about any router upstream at all really.

KIM ~ # cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.x.1

KIM ~ # ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:d8:a2:2f:49
inet addr:192.168.x.94 Bcast:192.168.x.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::211:d8ff:fea2:2f49/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:3168545 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:3053345 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:3188606987 (2.9 GiB) TX bytes:2846526234 (2.6 GiB)
Interrupt:16

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:536087 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:536087 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:5449516037 (5.0 GiB) TX bytes:5449516037 (5.0 GiB)

tunl0 Link encap:IPIP Tunnel HWaddr
NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

KIM ~ # traceroute 8.8.8.8
-su: traceroute: command not found

KIM ~ # ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=1 ttl=50 time=130 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=2 ttl=50 time=139 ms
^C
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1000ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 130.903/135.092/139.282/4.205 ms

I guess I don't have traceroute installed yet. Don't know if that makes a difference. I assume not.

This is what's bizarre to me. I can ping an address, but not use a service.

KIM ~ # ping www.google.com
PING www.l.google.com (74.125.224.180) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 74.125.224.180: icmp_req=1 ttl=53 time=12.6 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.224.180: icmp_req=2 ttl=53 time=11.1 ms
^C64 bytes from 74.125.224.180: icmp_req=3 ttl=53 time=11.1 ms

--- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2002ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 11.182/11.685/12.684/0.706 ms

KIM ~ # ssh trigggl.is-an-engineer.com
ssh: Could not resolve hostname trigggl.is-an-engineer.com: Name or service not known

Just to be clear, I do manage to use the service without the name.

KIM ~ # ssh 68.51.6.65
Password:
Last login: Sat Apr 23 10:12:55 CDT 2011 from adsl-69-230-183-166.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net on ssh

╔╦═╡root@stephie╞═╡10:12 AM╞═╡~╞═╗
╠╬╗ exit
logout
Connection to 68.51.6.65 closed.

Bok
04-23-11, 11:11 AM
just change /etc/resolv.conf to be

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

and not use the local router at all. They are very reliable.

trigggl
04-23-11, 11:24 AM
just change /etc/resolv.conf to be

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

and not use the local router at all. They are very reliable.

Google put that there for the public to use? I guess I would have to assume they did or they would be better protected. That was nice of them.

Well, well, well...

The authenticity of host '[trigggl.is-an-engineer.com] ([68.51.6.65]:)' can't be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is x
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '[trigggl.is-an-engineer.com]:' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
Password:
Last login: Sat Apr 23 10:12:55 CDT 2011 from adsl-69-230-183-166.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net on pts/4

╔╦═╡root@stephie╞═╡10:31 AM╞═╡~

Thanks, DrBok! I do believe this puts these things back in business. >:)

116: 23-Apr-2011 08:37:35 (low) [http://www.primegrid.com/] update requested by user
117: 23-Apr-2011 08:37:39 (low) [http://www.primegrid.com/] Fetching scheduler list
118: 23-Apr-2011 08:37:41 (low) [http://www.primegrid.com/] Master file download succeeded

Now I just need to figure out why cuda isn't working yet.

Bok
04-23-11, 11:32 AM
Cool.

And yes, they are public google nameservers. No need to use your own.

Most routers just proxy to their ISP anyway so you aren't doing too many more hops.

trigggl
04-23-11, 12:08 PM
Ok, we're finally crunching something.

I think I know how to get the cuda working. It may just require a reboot. nVidia is funny like that.

EDIT: Did a reboot. KIM came back up with no usable GPU found. BOK didn't come back up. Two nearly identical boards, two different results, neither of them good.

DrPop
04-23-11, 01:58 PM
Alright, well it's been a good show anyway so far. :p I will be home tomorrow night and I can do a hard reset and maybe help figure out what's going on there...obviously my Linux knowledge is minimal, so I won't be much help on the software end. We'll get 'er working, though! :cool:

Fire$torm
04-23-11, 03:38 PM
Trigggl, This is awesome! you should put them under your name and see how long it takes him to figure it out :)

I'll stick my neck out and say yes to the BlackOps account.

Edit: I see your crunching already so nm.

Google put that there for the public to use? I guess I would have to assume they did or they would be better protected. That was nice of them.

Well, well, well...

The authenticity of host '[trigggl.is-an-engineer.com] ([68.51.6.65]:)' can't be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is x
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '[trigggl.is-an-engineer.com]:' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
Password:
Last login: Sat Apr 23 10:12:55 CDT 2011 from adsl-69-230-183-166.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net on pts/4

╔╦═╡root@stephie╞═╡10:31 AM╞═╡~

Thanks, DrBok! I do believe this puts these things back in business. >:)

Now I just need to figure out why cuda isn't working yet.

Yeppers. Google create those DNS servers for public use. I would surmise that they are making tons of money from them hence being public.

trigggl
04-23-11, 06:45 PM
Well, I feel retarded.

I installed Gnome, started up the Window Manager and magically CUDA works. We have Primegrid CUDA.

Wish I'd figured that out before rebooting BOK.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4108/screenshotigq.png

Mike029
04-23-11, 06:51 PM
Sweet!!!!!!

joker
04-23-11, 07:07 PM
Be sure to put some good P*rn on those computers for him. :p

trigggl
04-23-11, 07:11 PM
Glad I can help out. Very cool that you got them both up and running. You've already got an email server when you installed linux unless you severely limited the install!

Try it :)

mailx -s "test mail" <youremailaddress>
<enter>
This is a test
CTRL-D
CTRL-D

Ok, now that I have one of these going, I installed 'mailx' on it. Obviously, there's some configuration that needs to happen.

mailx -s "test mail" trigggl@hooya.com

This is a test
Cc: send-mail: Cannot open mail:25
Can't send mail: sendmail process failed with error code 1

Fire$torm
04-23-11, 07:15 PM
Most excellent work. Thank you.

Bok
04-23-11, 07:18 PM
Ok, now that I have one of these going, I installed 'mailx' on it. Obviously, there's some configuration that needs to happen.

emerge sendmail :)

GregK
04-23-11, 11:03 PM
Be sure to put some good P*rn on those computers for him. :p

yes maybe a good centerfold background and set the speakers on high when he turns it on loud po_n moaning! lol ok i went to far again? lol anyway

joker
04-24-11, 12:18 AM
yes maybe a good centerfold background and set the speakers on high when he turns it on loud po_n moaning! lol ok i went to far again? lol anyway

I was thinking about something more like what women want: Put the sound of a dishwasher running in the background!

DrPop
04-24-11, 02:25 AM
I was thinking about something more like what women want: Put the sound of a dishwasher running in the background!
LOL! =)):-"

trigggl
04-25-11, 06:46 AM
I just now remembered to attach to WUProp. Wasted a couple days.

Can't wait to get the other one crunching. 300k on Primegrid a day each.

Got mailx to work using ssmtp and my yahoo account, so I do know that mail will get past the router. (on port 465 anyways) I suspect I know what email account DrPop will be using (not mine).

Fire$torm
04-25-11, 09:50 AM
I just now remembered to attach to WUProp. Wasted a couple days.

Can't wait to get the other one crunching. 300k on Primegrid a day each.

Got mailx to work using ssmtp and my yahoo account, so I do know that mail will get past the router. (on port 465 anyways) I suspect I know what email account DrPop will be using.

SWEET!!! Dude, you totally Rock \m/ \m/ \m/

Cheers.

DrPop
04-25-11, 10:49 AM
SWEET!!! Dude, you totally Rock \m/ \m/ \m/

Cheers.

Yes, Trigggl and BOK really came through for us on this Linux install! I'm curious to see how it stacks up to Win7 in points / day... never know, I might switch 'em all over someday and become a convert... ;):o

trigggl
04-25-11, 04:21 PM
The 2nd one (BOK) is online and crunching. >:)

Beerdrinker
04-25-11, 04:27 PM
The 2nd one (BOK) is online and crunching. >:)

Holy mother of god!!...DrPop is going through the ROOF!!!

joker
04-25-11, 05:15 PM
And he is now in the top 25 for Team Rank! Congrats bro!:-bd<:-P

DrPop
04-25-11, 05:43 PM
Holy mother of god!!...DrPop is going through the ROOF!!!

And I'm just waiting to see a little spike in your *cough cough* PG credits when you get the puppy installed *cough cough*. :D hehehe All in good time, don't let me rush you man. But, you could just yank the ATI card out for now, put that one in your Sis's rig and throw that CUDA card in yours. :cool:

trigggl
09-18-11, 10:18 AM
Thanks to DrPop, I've received KIM (now known as kite). After some experimentation with case cast-offs from co-workers, it became obvious I needed to purchase a new one to provide enough cooling for the HD 4870. I had kite running for a time in a case that barely gave enough cooling to keep the dual cpus going. Everything quickly shut down if I tried to use the HD, though. The CPUs were running as hot as 170F.

So, after using insurance money to fix my daughter's car on my own, I used some leftover to finance an Antec 300 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066). With the exception of one minor problem, I love this case and it, so far, has provided enough cooling to keep the HD going.

Does nobody know how to make front panel cables long enough? You would think wiring cost $100 a foot. It's the cheapest thing they put in the case and the one they're most stingy with. You can see in the picture below how the front panel wires have to go over the top of the GPU and the zip ties I had to use to keep the wire out of the GPU's fan.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9387/091711151000.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/091711151000.jpg/)

LEDs are cool! Especially blue ones.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6992/091811084100.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/231/091811084100.jpg/)

The CPUs are now hovering around 140F. I haven't been able to figure out how to monitor the GPU temp yet.

So, I'm currently crunching Moo, but it doesn't seem like I'm getting the production I should from it. Perhaps I need to switch to MilkyWay?

Mumps
09-18-11, 11:10 AM
Does nobody know how to make front panel cables long enough? You would think wiring cost $100 a foot. It's the cheapest thing they put in the case and the one they're most stingy with. You can see in the picture below how the front panel wires have to go over the top of the GPU and the zip ties I had to use to keep the wire out of the GPU's fan.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9387/091711151000.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/091711151000.jpg/)

It's obvious to me that cable is supposed to go under the Mobo :)

STMahlberg
09-18-11, 11:23 AM

I found some extenders at Cables To Go (http://www.cablestogo.com/) a couple years ago so I could get an internal card reader to reach the connectors on the MB which was a 36 inch run. I can't remember for the life of me what the actual name for the things are called. The only other place that I could find at the time that had them were out of the UK.

DrPop
09-21-11, 11:30 AM
Hmmm...Try DNETc or MW and see if the production is better? I'm glad you got her cranking, man! Sweet. :D

trigggl
10-08-11, 07:04 PM
It's obvious to me that cable is supposed to go under the Mobo :)

I don't know if you were joking, but I decided to try it. It works pretty well. I installed an I/O plate and a side panel fan today. I figured, while I have the board out, I might as well try it. :-bd