PDA

View Full Version : HDD Shortage

John P. Myers
04-17-21, 10:21 PM
A new cryptocurrency called Chia has popped up that requires large amounts of storage to mine it. HDD's and enterprise grade SSD's are already starting to get bought up. If you need storage, now might be a good time to pull the trigger

zombie67
04-17-21, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

DrPop
04-19-21, 02:09 AM
Dang, another thing tied up by miners. :( I will get that SSD I was eyeballing.

scole of TSBT
04-19-21, 01:53 PM
Why couldn't they have designed a crypo currency that required used water bottles or used face masks?

DrPop
04-19-21, 05:52 PM
Why couldn't they have designed a crypo currency that required used water bottles or used face masks?

:)) That's awesome. The whole thing about the miners buying up all the hardware is pretty lame.

John P. Myers
04-25-21, 12:48 PM
Dun dun dunnnn
https://wccftech.com/this-motherboard-with-32-sata-hdd-ssd-ports-is-perfect-for-chia-coin-cryptocurrency-mining/

scole of TSBT
04-25-21, 08:32 PM
NAS too slow?

scole of TSBT
04-25-21, 08:35 PM
The whole thing about the miners buying up all the hardware is pretty lame.I'm waiting for bitcoin to crash. When that happens, stop and listen for all the crypo-miners puking their guts out.

John P. Myers
04-25-21, 09:12 PM
NAS too slow?The thing about this currency is RAID is bad, which makes a NAS bad, from what i understand. And I'm sure this board is cheaper than a 32 bay NAS anyway. Individual drives are preffered.

trigggl
04-27-21, 07:41 AM
A guy creates a "currency" that gives you no physical money and requires the purchase of a lot of unnecessary hard drive space. This is from a guy known for creating a file sharing program. I wonder if he has stock with hard drive manufacturers. I wonder if the hard drive space is somehow being sold to companies like Google or Facebook.

That's probably just me wearing a tinfoil hat.