PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply

Crazybob's Son
04-22-11, 03:34 PM
So I've been running my Q6600 with HD 5850 and 5 LED case fans on a 550w power supply for a little while but I think I need to upgrade to a larger PS so that everything is guaranteed the proper amount of power.

I was looking at this one (http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6624657&CatId=2533) at Compusa. I figure it's not a bad price, 80-plus, and modular. The 750w should be more than enough for what I need since I don't have a slot for another PCI-e card (stupid mATX mobo).

What do you guys think?

John P. Myers
04-22-11, 03:45 PM
So I've been running my Q6600 with HD 5850 and 5 LED case fans on a 550w power supply for a little while but I think I need to upgrade to a larger PS so that everything is guaranteed the proper amount of power.

I was looking at this one (http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6624657&CatId=2533) at Compusa. I figure it's not a bad price, 80-plus, and modular. The 750w should be more than enough for what I need since I don't have a slot for another PCI-e card (stupid mATX mobo).

What do you guys think?
550W is enough for what you have. Save your money.

Fire$torm
04-22-11, 03:48 PM

What do you guys think?

Nice unit. Good feature set and a really good warranty. Looks like a winner.

DrPop
04-22-11, 04:05 PM
CBS: That is a nice unit - same exact one I just bought for one of the BOK dual Opty servers.

However, the TDP on that Q6600 is only 105W. What kind of GPU are you running? Even a HOG is not going to use more than 300W, and an average would be more like 150-200W.
That would put you somewhere in the range of ~350W total under a load, which is only 63% of your 550W PSU. That's actually good, and under the "magic" 75 - 80% load range, where anything higher starts costing you $$$ on your electric bill.

Trust me, I love the upgrading and encourage it whole-heartedly. But, I think I'd hold off on this purchase unless you're looking to trade mobos and add another GPU. That's the problem with socket 775 and why I left that platform. I had an Intel Extreme Quad that O/Ced so good it was pulling down numbers like some people's i7 920's were. BUT...and it was a deal breaker for me - good luck trying to find a mobo with everything you want for the 775 platform these days. So I sold it and moved on...
Hope all that rambling helps a little somewhere in there. :D ;)

Crazybob's Son
04-22-11, 04:09 PM
CBS: That is a nice unit - same exact one I just bought for one of the BOK dual Opty servers.

However, the TDP on that Q6600 is only 105W. What kind of GPU are you running? Even a HOG is not going to use more than 300W, and an average would be more like 150-200W.
That would put you somewhere in the range of ~350W total under a load, which is only 63% of your 550W PSU. That's actually good, and under the "magic" 75 - 80% load range, where anything higher starts costing you $$$ on your electric bill.

Trust me, I love the upgrading and encourage it whole-heartedly. But, I think I'd hold off on this purchase unless you're looking to trade mobos and add another GPU. That's the problem with socket 775 and why I left that platform. I had an Intel Extreme Quad that O/Ced so good it was pulling down numbers like some people's i7 920's were. BUT...and it was a deal breaker for me - good luck trying to find a mobo with everything you want for the 775 platform these days. So I sold it and moved on...
Hope all that rambling helps a little somewhere in there. :D ;)

I have an XFX HD5850. I was considering upgrading the power supply because I have all the case fans that spin something crazy with RPM's (if I turn my fan speed controller up to 100% for all of them I can't hear the person next to me talking) as well as they all have LED's. I can't overclock the chip from 2.4 (used to be able to, not sure what the deal is) and I tried overclocking my GPU to 765mhz but it didn't like that either so I figured maybe it was under-powered. I also have two DVD burner drives.

Edit: just looked in the CCC and looks like my GPU is still running @ 755mhz but was only running at 33% fan speed and GPU was around 85c.... Upped the manual fan speed control to 50% and temp dropped slowly. Upped it to 90% fan speed and it is now running at 51c... Talk about some cooling. I think I might leave it around 50% fan speed so the fan doesn't go out.

John P. Myers
04-22-11, 04:18 PM
I have an XFX HD5850. I was considering upgrading the power supply because I have all the case fans that spin something crazy with RPM's (if I turn my fan speed controller up to 100% for all of them I can't hear the person next to me talking) as well as they all have LED's. I can't overclock the chip from 2.4 (used to be able to, not sure what the deal is) and I tried overclocking my GPU to 765mhz but it didn't like that either so I figured maybe it was under-powered. I also have two DVD burner drives.

Most every case fan only uses a max of 1.4W, including the LEDs. I ran an OC'd X9770 to 3.77GHz with an OC'd HD 5870 to 984MHz with only 450W. Your PSU isn't the problem unless it's broken.

Fire$torm
04-22-11, 05:31 PM

Edit: just looked in the CCC and looks like my GPU is still running @ 755mhz but was only running at 33% fan speed and GPU was around 85c.... Upped the manual fan speed control to 50% and temp dropped slowly. Upped it to 90% fan speed and it is now running at 51c... Talk about some cooling. I think I might leave it around 50% fan speed so the fan doesn't go out.

Most every case fan only uses a max of 1.4W, including the LEDs. I ran an OC'd X9770 to 3.77GHz with an OC'd HD 5870 to 984MHz with only 450W. Your PSU isn't the problem unless it's broken.

Not necessarily true. Remember that a PSU loses output power over time. Most lose approx. 25% over their lifetime, but it can be much higher and happen much sooner. Cheap components, poor design and inferior build quality are all factors that adversely effect a PSUs longevity.

And yes JPM, I know you already know that :D

Edit: @Crazybob's Son: I forgot to add that you should try running MSI's Afterburner on your ATI. One of its great functions is the ability to dynamically control fan speed based on GPU temps. It allows for seven temperature set/trigger points IIRC. This way your GPU stays cool and extends the life of its fan.

John P. Myers
04-22-11, 06:21 PM
Not necessarily true. Remember that a PSU loses output power over time. Most lose approx. 25% over their lifetime, but it can be much higher and happen much sooner. Cheap components, poor design and inferior build quality are all factors that adversely effect a PSUs longevity.

And yes JPM, I know you already know that :D

Right. And therefore "broken" :p

dan
04-22-11, 06:38 PM
Really good price! I like to read what others say. Newegg is about $10 more, but here are the reviewshttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-153-136&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Personally I like Corsair, but they are about twice the price of the one you found.

Dan

-GER-
04-22-11, 06:57 PM
Edit: @Crazybob's Son: I forgot to add that you should try running MSI's Afterburner on your ATI. One of its great functions is the ability to dynamically control fan speed based on GPU temps. It allows for seven temperature set/trigger points IIRC. This way your GPU stays cool and extends the life of its fan.

Nice trick :) I didn't realize you could do that.

Fire$torm
04-22-11, 08:37 PM

Nice trick :) I didn't realize you could do that.

Yeppers. And if you count the trigger points there are actually Eight of them.

DrPop
04-22-11, 08:55 PM
Well, CBS - that's sure interesting about not being able to OC it any more. It very well could be the PSU - or maybe even the mobo or something, if it's not a high end one - I mean maybe something wearing out? I've actually never had a rig that "used to" over clock and then couldn't any more a while later...so maybe you are barking up the right tree with a new PSU...How much would a new mobo be, though? That might be more bang for the buck if you could find a 2 pci-e slot mobo and see what that did...

What brand is the 550W PSU, and how old is it? That may tell us something...

-GER-
04-22-11, 09:13 PM
Yeppers. And if you count the trigger points there are actually Eight of them.

Not unlike Joker's mom :P

joker
04-23-11, 05:27 PM
My mother farts in your general direction!!