PDA

View Full Version : Figured this belonged here!

Crazybob
04-22-11, 10:12 PM
Got a fraking virus on the dual core called Windows Recovery. Figured my son Dl,d it. Got it with running Mcafee, Malwarbytes and Dr whatever it's called. Took out my icons, showed C drive as blank. Wouldn't let me run task manager. Had to go to file properties to reset it to show hidden files. Icons came back, but greyed out. 1 new icon called Windows Recovery. Looks like a legit program. Clicked it and it ran through a scan that said HD corrupted, Boot Sector corrupted, Blah, Blah, Blah. Click here to purchase program. Checked for it on Google on other machine. Said to run Malwarbytes. Wouldn't let me access the program. When I rebooted machine into safe mode, wouldn't let me finish a new install. Tricked it by installing to a flash drive. Hoping that a scan will fix problem. Going to jump on someones ass when they get home!:mad:

Maxwell
04-22-11, 10:18 PM
Does this mean Mrs. CBS is going to be a widow soon?

Crazybob
04-22-11, 10:24 PM
Youngest son and girlfriend who can't stay off Facebook and Myspace and Youtube!

-GER-
04-22-11, 10:32 PM
You've been hi-jacked. Most likely all your files have been hi-jack encrypted. You can pay them for the key(bad idea) or do a re-install from a clean disk making sure bios is set to boot from clean install disk first. Do a full format of HD then install OS.

Crazybob
04-22-11, 10:40 PM
Hoping that's not the case, but not looking good so far. Malwarbytes found program and seems to have removed it, but everything else remains the same.:mad:

-GER-
04-22-11, 11:03 PM
Hoping that's not the case, but not looking good so far. Malwarbytes found program and seems to have removed it, but everything else remains the same.:mad:

If it has been truly hijacked the only way you can get back lost data is by paying for the key. Hijackers don't care if you've found their program after they have encrypted your video's/photo's etc...that's what they are hoping for, that you will pay to recover.

Crazybob
04-22-11, 11:11 PM
Think your right. Haven't checked whether I can access pictures or documents. Some things still work. Virtual machine was unaffected, so trying to get MW runnning on GPU through there.

c303a
04-23-11, 10:54 AM
Had friends bring in 2 computers with the same thing. I ended up formatting all of them and re-installing. I also made the mistake of hooking one of the computers into my home network and ended up having to format one of my boxes. Was not happy but this is a very bad hack or virus. Whatever you want to call it.

Crazybob
04-23-11, 04:29 PM
This is turning out to be an all dayer! Looks like HD is clean of virus, but the effects linger on. Pulled HD and put a new one in to see if after reload, I can recover files from the old as a slave. DVD writer wouldn't read the CD. Tried to load on flash, but wouldn't boot even after setting the flash as the only boot option. There went an hour after transfering to flash. Don't have a SATA CD player, so I pulled the original OS discs and it tried to load, but had lots of read errors. After 2 hrs, only 1 of 3 discs done. Did a quick DVD writer change while machine was running. Almost workied, but I had to reboot and it went back to the begginning of disc 2. 22 more minutes in and disc 3 is almost done. I hope this thing boots after I'm done. Then comes all of the file updates and installs to get it back to crunch ready. Hope I can remember all the things I need to reload.

joker
04-23-11, 05:19 PM
As long as you remember to reload the important one. ;)

Crazybob
04-23-11, 06:04 PM
Updating service packs and net framework now. What a pain!

joker
04-23-11, 06:14 PM
Don't forget your anti spyware programs!

Fire$torm
04-23-11, 07:13 PM
OK, I'm confused (Which isn't hard to achieve), what OS do you have that requires 3 disks?

For anyone interested, if you run Windows XP you can use nlite to slipstream (add files to an install disk) M$ Service Packs, M$ Updates and hardware drivers. With nlite you can also setup an install disk with all the info to create a hands free installer. Info you can add includes Software Key, user accounts, theme packs, etc. You can also pre-configure language, Network settings, preferred theme and other stuff that I cannot remember. The best part of nLite is that you can Remove M$ files, apps and services from the install disk which can vastly shorten install time.

joker
04-23-11, 07:49 PM
I am going to take a wild guess and say Vista.

Crazybob
04-23-11, 07:59 PM
Actually this machine was an XP media center. 3 DVD back-up. I have a borrowed uhum copy of Corp XP which is really nice, but DVD rom wouldn't read it, so I had to go back to the original from 2006. Good news is back crunch'n MW, AQUA and WuProp. Now to try to get my files back. Oh and this came with a already installed copy of Norton, but it's outdated. Going to have to go to Crapcast and get their free Norton.

Fire$torm
04-23-11, 08:26 PM
Actually this machine was an XP media center. 3 DVD back-up. I have a borrowed uhum copy of Corp XP which is really nice, but DVD rom wouldn't read it, so I had to go back to the original from 2006. Good news is back crunch'n MW, AQUA and WuProp. Now to try to get my files back. Oh and this came with a already installed copy of Norton, but it's outdated. Going to have to go to Crapcast and get their free Norton.

Good to hear.

FYI: If you ever need to install any version of XP from a USB stick use WinSetup-1-0-beta7. (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/120444-how-to-install-windows-from-usb-winsetupfromusb-with-gui/) The reason one needs to use this utility is because the XP installer resets all USB ports about half way through the install process. So the installer cannot access the stick anymore and so aborts the install.

Cruncher Pete
05-15-11, 11:36 PM
In another forum the Duke said something like this:

:cool: Not my fault they call it Acqua. If they call it beer, wisky or wine would have a wider public. If I made a project would call it SEX@HOME and everyone would want to do it. Someone could do one after called SEXNOT@HOME. :cool:

Sexy Duke

I figured my addition belonged here:

A Dog Called Sex.

Usually anyone who has a dog call him something like Rover, Spot or Sex. I called mine "Sex".

Well, Sex can be a very embarrassing name, as one will see. Please, let me share some adventures with you!

One day I took Sex for a walk and he ran away from me. I spent hours looking for that dog. A policeman came along and asked me what I was doing in an alley at 4am in the morning. I said "I'm looking for Sex". My case comes up for hearing next week.

One day I went to the Town Hall to get a dog license for Sex. The Clerk asked what I wanted. I told him I wanted a license for Sex. He said he would like to have one too. When I said, "but this is a do" he said he didn't care what she looked like. Then I said. "you don't understand, I have had Sex since I was two year sold. He replied, "you must have been a strong boy."

When I decided to get married I told the Minister that I wanted to have Sex at the Wedding, he told me to wait after the ceremony. I said, "but Sex has played a big part in my life and my whole lifestyle revolves around Sex". He said he didn't want to hear about my personal life and would not marry us in his church. I told him everyone coming to the wedding would enjoy having Sex there. The next day we were married by a Justice of the Peace. My whole family is barred from that church.

My wife and I took the dog along with us on our Honeymoon. When I checked into the Motel I told the Clerk that I wanted a room for my wife and I and a special room for Sex. The Clerk said that every room was for Sex. Then I said "you don't understand, Sex keeps me awake at night". The Clerk said "me too".

When my wife and I separated we went to Court to fight for custody of the dog. I said "your Honor, I had Sex before I was married", "me too" said the judge. When I told him that after I was married Sex had left me, he said "me too".

Well now I have been thrown in Jail, been married, divorced and had more damn troubles with that dog than I ever gambled for. Why just the other day when I went for my first session with the Psychiatrist she asked "What seems to be the trouble"? I replied "well Sex has died and left my life, and its so lonely". The Doctor looked at me and said "Mister you and I both know that Sex isn't mans best friend, so get yourself a dog...

joker
05-15-11, 11:59 PM
I will never have sex again!!

Maxwell
05-16-11, 12:15 AM
I figured my addition belonged here:

A Dog Called Sex.
I love that... :cool:

Duke of Buckingham
05-16-11, 12:23 AM
:x I see no one wants to crunch sex@home or sexnot@home fine I will ask my mother if I can crunch it alone...

Duke :mad:

Maxwell
05-16-11, 12:31 AM
:x I see no one wants to crunch sex@home or sexnot@home fine I will ask my mother if I can crunch it alone...

Duke :mad:
As long as you clean up after yourself and don't make her do it, I'm sure she won't have too much of a problem... ;)

joker
05-16-11, 01:19 AM
Finally.........A joke about someones mom...........and it is not mine!! b-)

DrPop
05-16-11, 01:25 AM
Finally.........A joke about someones mom...........and it is not mine!! b-)

Yeah...I think she needed a break!

Maxwell
05-16-11, 01:31 AM
Yeah...I think she needed a break!
That's what she said. ;)

Duke of Buckingham
05-16-11, 01:39 AM
joker needed a break to, that is why I am here. Is mother is tired of your jokes.

Time to sleep Duke so Good Night from The Beattles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EoQVaQGXmM