PDA

View Full Version : New ati cards.

Beerdrinker
04-23-11, 03:03 AM
Hey team..

Got a question for you GPU guruīs out there.

Ati just launched their new cards here in Denmark...The 6450 and the 6570 cards..:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6570/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6570-overview.aspx

Are they just "rebranded" cards or are they actually worth buying?

Mumps
04-23-11, 07:27 AM
Well, first thing to note is that these are low end cards. Single Precision doesn't do you much good on most BOINC projects...

dan
04-23-11, 07:32 AM
The new cards have less power consumption and are faster, but I'm waiting for the next generation. I had one 5870 running and figured from the reviews, I could get a second 5870 in CF for half the price and out perform the 6970.

Also, they changed the number scheme, the 6970 you would think would be the two GPU version like the 5970, but no it is the single GPU like the 5870. The 6990 is the dual GPU. Too confusing a comparison.

Dan

Beerdrinker
04-23-11, 07:34 AM
Well, first thing to note is that these are low end cards. Single Precision doesn't do you much good on most BOINC projects...

Yeah, I should probably have mentioned that. Itīs not for crunching...Itīs for my sister in law. Her sonīs computer broke down, so just looking for cheap replacement parts. She cannot afford much. The computer also only have a 400W PSU of some "cheapo" brand...So I am not trusting it enough to actually provide 400W...More likely 300W - therefore the choise...

Slicker
04-24-11, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I should probably have mentioned that. Itīs not for crunching...Itīs for my sister in law. Her sonīs computer broke down, so just looking for cheap replacement parts. She cannot afford much. The computer also only have a 400W PSU of some "cheapo" brand...So I am not trusting it enough to actually provide 400W...More likely 300W - therefore the choise...

Every computer is for crunching!

On a low budget, forget games other than solitaire. That having been said, more processors and more memory generally means faster. Just make sure it supports the max resolution of the monitor they already have and you should be fine. Manufactures often don't quote the specs on the box for the low end GPUs so a little research on the net is worth while. The computers stores near me love to charge more for new slow cards than they do for older faster ones so that research will save money, especially on a tight budget.