PDA

View Full Version : Network Down!

Crazybob
04-26-11, 01:31 PM
Went home at lunchtime and none of my boxes would connect. Boinc said "coudn't resolve host name." I did a repair from the network adapter section of the control panel with no results. Rebooted a machine or 2 with no results. Checked the cable modem and 4 lights still on. Unplugged it and waited 30 seconds and restarted it, with no results. Odd thing was that on 1 of the machines I didn't reboot, DIMES looked as if it was still running, but not sure if it was just showing residual connections from before the network went down. Had a virus the other day, but I was pretty sure that I got it before it spread. None of the other machines showing any of the annoying messages that were poping up on the infected machine. Any clues or suggestions would be appreciated. about an 800,000 credit hit for me and the team today.

Maxwell
04-26-11, 02:00 PM
Are you able to open a browser window and get anywhere? What about pinging somewhere outside?

Crazybob
04-26-11, 02:04 PM
All attempts to open browser windows failed. Haven't pinged anything in a while. That is done through the CMD prompt correct? What is the string you use to do it.

ping http://www.cnn.com ping

Something like that?

Fire$torm
04-26-11, 02:13 PM
Not sure what the problem is. I had a similar situation that turned out to be a dieing network switch. It might be best to completely shut down all you systems and your network hardware. Power up just your ISP's Gateway/Cable Modem (Stupid term as cable modems do no modulation or demodulation...), then connect one system directly to the WAN port on the Gateway and see if you can surf the net.

You may need to reset that systems IP address using the commands ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew (assuming the computer runs Windows).

If you can get on the internet then try reconnecting your switch to your network and connect that one system to the switch and retest. If all goes well, then start adding one system at a time.

Edit: Forgot to add that you should scan all your systems with an Anti-Virus program and Anti-Malware program from a bootable CD-ROM. You can find all kinds of bootable ISO stuff on the net you can burn to disc.

Maxwell
04-26-11, 02:23 PM
Yes, CB - open a command window and type in "ping google.com" without the quotes. If your network is fine, it should return something.

Bok
04-26-11, 02:34 PM
Give us the output from that ping too. It might just be your dns resolution that is down.

Try also

ping 8.8.8.8

and see if that returns

Crazybob
04-26-11, 02:46 PM
Sounds like a plan. Driving me nuts sitting at work while it's down. Was planning on trying the individual box directly from the cable modem. That seemed to be the fastest way to check to see if it's internal or external. Tack tock, tick tock........

joker
04-26-11, 03:35 PM
Is it time to go home yet?!?!?!

Crazybob
04-26-11, 03:36 PM
roughly 32 minutes more.

Dandasarge
04-26-11, 03:42 PM
roughly 32 minutes more.

man call out with a sick kid.

Crazybob
04-26-11, 05:40 PM
Sometimes you want to kick your own arse! Tried doing all the pings and got nowhere. Reset modem and rebooted with no luck. Gave Crapcast a call and the guy mentioned about reseting the router. Unplugged and waited 30 seconds and plugged back in. All machines back on-line. DOH!:mad::mad::mad::o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

joker
04-26-11, 06:04 PM
Been there, done that.

c303a
04-26-11, 06:08 PM
Sometimes the simplest things......LOL:D:D:D:D:DAt least you are back on line

Dandasarge
04-26-11, 06:09 PM
ohhh, that's step 2 right behind making sure the computer is plugged in.