PDA

View Full Version : The Dual

joker
10-27-10, 07:53 PM
As per DrPops request, we shall be moving The Dual thread over here now. Let the games begin............again. :p

DrPop
10-27-10, 08:43 PM
That my friend, is awesome! True to his name, Joker never disappoints. ;)
Dual: may refer to a pair or a grouping of two. (i.e. DrPop and Joker are a dynamic duo)

I believe he's trying to say that we're preparing for a duel: an engagement in combat between two individuals, with matched weapons in accordance with their combat doctrines.:cool:

Mr. Hankey
10-27-10, 08:52 PM
oooh.. Touche +1 for DrPop

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
10-27-10, 09:14 PM
That my friend, is awesome! True to his name, Joker never disappoints. ;)
Dual: may refer to a pair or a grouping of two. (i.e. DrPop and Joker are a dynamic duo)

I believe he's trying to say that we're preparing for a duel: an engagement in combat between two individuals, with matched weapons in accordance with their combat doctrines.:cool:

Geez Doc.. I didn't realize you were a spelling/grammer nazi :P:P

joker
10-27-10, 10:34 PM
Did I just get grammatically schooled??

DrPop
10-27-10, 10:35 PM
Hahaha! That was just to get a laugh out of him. I will delete my stinging reply when he goes back and edits it. I actually like Joker's sense of humor and I just couldn't resist - especially considering the jabbing / smack talking tone this thread has to have to keep it fun. :D

To be honest, I miss-spell stuff constantly, especially when I use the iPhone! There was one other time - when Mike said Calvary instead of Cavalry, and I said something - people thought I was being harsh, but it was too funny to me...I saw it as a pun. Team Norway was "crucifying" us in that Primegrid challenge, and Mike was calling for the "cavalry" to come in to save us - only he called for the "Calvary". Which, unfortunately for us, came all too soon! :p hehehe.
All in good fun...

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
10-27-10, 10:47 PM
Did I just get grammatically schooled??
Don't you mean "skooled"? :P

To be honest, I miss-spell stuff constantly, especially when I use the iPhone!

Yet another reason why I will *NEVER* own an iPhone. Or an iPod, or an iPad or.. Pretty much just i* (if it's made by Apple, anyway.. I've got a set of speakers for my walkman called iHome, so...)

DrPop
10-27-10, 11:26 PM
Alright ladies and gentlemen: the BOX from Denmark!
Beer, I think you outdid yourself! Check out the size of this thing. Is this all just bubble wrap around a quad cpu or is there really a ... could there be ... oh PLEASE let there be a Secret Weapon in here! ;)

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
10-28-10, 12:01 AM
Good grief! Either you're really short, or that box is freakin' HUGE!

joker
10-28-10, 12:12 AM
You could ship Kat in that thing! Did he ship you a 52 core server??? @-)

Come on lotto ticket!!

DrPop
10-28-10, 01:15 AM
EDIT: Kaotic - I'm 5'8" so not that tall, but not that short either - I suppose pretty average height.
I dunno what's in there. I suppose it's the "Secret Weapon". Box is a little on the light side for a server, but as you can tell from the pic it's not that light either. Haven't opened it yet, I'm waiting on the HSF to come tomorrow. I always liked surprises...but the suspense is killing me!:-bd

joker
10-28-10, 01:32 AM
You need to open it just to see what you are getting into! Need some prep time. :D Might help you get it online and OCed faster. :-?

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
10-28-10, 08:29 AM
Nope, 5'8" ain't really short at all.. I'm 5'11", so I've got some sense of proportion now..

Speaking of boxes:
Processed through Sort Facility, October 28, 2010, 1:49 am, FORT WORTH, TX 76161
w00t w00t! I can't wait!! It *should* be here today..

Wait.. A SERVER?! you got a server sent to you from overseas?! Wow. i can just imagine the shipping on that... I'll be keeping an eye on your RAC to see when you've got it online ;)

Beerdrinker
10-28-10, 11:48 AM
Hey guys...

So DrPop...How do you like the box I sendt?? I told you so!! Now watch and be surprised. :cool:

I am not telling whatīs inside...The only thing I am gonna say about the content of that box is: You are looking for a red button!! X_X

DrPop
10-28-10, 04:27 PM
Well...I'll be. It's past 1pm and the UPS fella decides to waltz through my door. I've been WAITING ALL DAY like a kid in line for DISNEYLAND!!!:D

More to come soon I hope, but now I have BOXES to open! YeeeeeeHaaaaaaaw!:cool:

Beerdrinker
10-28-10, 04:41 PM
Well...I'll be. It's past 1pm and the UPS fella decides to waltz through my door. I've been WAITING ALL DAY like a kid in line for DISNEYLAND!!!:D

More to come soon I hope, but now I have BOXES to open! YeeeeeeHaaaaaaaw!:cool:

NICE...!

I donīt have to remind you to keep us posted heh??

joker
10-28-10, 07:10 PM
Is it too late for me to pull out of this dual??? X_X

DrPop
10-28-10, 07:50 PM
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhh. Feels like a whole day wasted. I was going round in circles chasing my tail trying to figure out why it wouldn't post. Not a beep not a blip not a fan movement not an LED, NOTHING. I tried every single combination of chips, mobos, 3 graphics cards, 2 different sets of RAM, 5 different HDDs just in case...nothing. Tore apart my other front desk computer, thinking it was maybe the case power switch or SOMETHING...for several hours. My office looks like a tornado hit the front room and I've got to see patients tomorrow. There are parts and screws and stuff I threw everywhere. I was literally about to give up and was - I mean this - reaching for the phone to start the RMA process on some stuff, when I thought, you know...I did everything but pray about this. And then, after that, out of nowhere, I had a glimmer of an idea I hadn't thought of. I went to the back room and got out the 420W PSU that came with Kat's pink & white case (that is going to be on its way to F$ soon.)
I plugged that in ... and ladies and gentlemen, we have POST. :cool: Now my big PSU was working just perfect before I shut it off and took the old mobo out and put this one in. Somehow it must have died during the couple minutes that I was switching mobos, and I didn't have a clue that it had gone belly up. How could I? It was working seconds before I yanked the side panel off the case.
I don't know what the odds of this are, but has to be very very very slim (that it would completely die right at that instant).

So I am off to Frys. To spend even more money...arrrrrrgggghhhh.
Oh yes, there was TONS of bubble wrap in the box. But a little something nice as well. I don't even really know what it is - looks like some kind of specialty line stabilizer thing. I am assuming it has to do with O/Cing performance. I'll look into it more later. Obviously I've spent all day just trying to get this pile to just turn on - I can't even THINK about O/Cing right now!:p

DrPop
10-28-10, 07:54 PM
Wait! I know what happened. That PSU took one look at Joker's RAC and saw how much juice it would have to put out to O/C Beer's quad high enough to win...and it just gave up without even trying!;)

There...I feel better. Always do after coming up with a good conspiracy theory! :D NOW, I 'm off to Frys.

joker
10-28-10, 08:13 PM
I bet my power supply can beat up your power supply! >:/

joker
10-28-10, 08:20 PM
And stop looking at my RAC! I'm up here! ;)

DrPop
10-28-10, 09:45 PM
Hehehe - hey, that's what she said! :D

OK, I picked up one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015&cm_re=antec_650-_-17-371-015-_-Product

Traffic was terrible, but it's 6:46 and I'm going to start the build...again!

joker
10-28-10, 09:53 PM
Sweet! Now you will have enough power for those dual 5850s that you are going to buy! 8-> :-bd

DrPop
10-29-10, 03:00 AM
Yeah...with what money, now that I bought a PSU? Gulp! :p

Alright! This is my FIRST post from the Beerinator. Brought her on tack to AQUA at just before midnight.

PHASE I has begun. I'm just going to let it sit overnight at all stock speeds and crunch away on BOINC...let's see where my RAC sits in the morning before we get fancy with it. Boys I am tired, it's been a long, somewhat frustrating day, but we got her online before midnight! Whew! That's all I can say. :rolleyes:

Goodnight!

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
10-29-10, 07:24 AM
=D> Congrats DrPop! That sucks about the PSU tho... That is strange, don't believe I've ever heard of a PSU just dying like that. You might consider cracking it open and checking for fuses..

DrPop
10-29-10, 12:47 PM
Yeah, that's nuts - I didn't have a clue that's what it was either - but I'm glad in a way that's all it was.

I'm sticking with the theory that it wussed out and couldn't take the heat for the challenge. So it just gave up without even trying. :cool:

joker
10-29-10, 01:31 PM
Was there a little white flag on a toothpick sticking out of the PSU? Hehehe

Bryan
10-29-10, 02:23 PM
Was there a little white flag on a toothpick sticking out of the PSU? Hehehe

I think it said; "Joker Rules" ;)

joker
10-29-10, 07:05 PM
So DrPop, you get a video card in that package from Beerdrinker? ;)

DrPop
10-29-10, 10:44 PM
I can honestly say I did not. I wish! The ones I have work just fine, though, so I can't complain. He DID send me the secret weapon all the way from Denmark, though, and did not even charge me shipping, I might add! Now there is a man DEDICATED to the team! Let's hear it for BEER DRINKER!>:D< So even if he didn't send me a GPU, I still named the rig after him, The "Beerinator" :D
Besides the MOUNTAIN of bubble wrap (hmmm...you'd think he'd shipped something by USPS before!;)), there was A.I.R. in the box, though.

Alright, at this point I am pretty happy with the temps at stock clocks, and I think the CPU and RAM and everything has had a good burn in with the new PSU today. Fairly pleased with the points for roughly 20 hrs. of crunching so far...but not nearly enough to keep up with Joker. :mad:
I am going to attempt my first mild O/C tonight. Hold onto your hats folks, and wish me good luck with the PSU!
Enter PHASE II and we'll see what happens to the BEERINATOR's RAC over the next couple days. Can we catch him???:confused:

joker
10-30-10, 02:23 PM
Stay tuned to find out!

Beerdrinker
10-30-10, 03:37 PM
Stay tuned to find out!

I have a feeling that this may turn out to be REAL intersting!! b-)

Maxwell
10-30-10, 03:46 PM
I have a feeling that this may turn out to be REAL intersting!! b-)
Me too - I'm enjoying following this...<):)

joker
10-30-10, 11:12 PM
Looks like someone got them self some video cards. :((

joker
10-31-10, 12:13 AM
Between DrPop and I, be brought over a million credits to the team today! OoH Rah!!! Who else wants to join us??

DrPop
10-31-10, 12:14 PM
Thought I posted last night, but I see it didn't go through for some reason.
1Mil combined? Sweet! Oh yeah, come on down and join the resurgence - go SETI.USA!

@Beer - It's all because of you, Bro.! Three Cheers For Beer Drinker! So glad you came back home.:cool:

@Joker - (Edit: Re: buying cards - well...I had to get something worthy of Beer's Secret Weapon! :D)
You remember back in their young days when Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire were the "Bash Brothers"? Our combined @ 1Mil - when this duel is over, we should high five and become the SETI.USA Bash Bro.s!;)
For now, looks like I better get down to business and tighten up my timings...you beat me by 3K still yesterday. We'll see about today; going to push The Beerinator into Overdrive!:D

Beerdrinker
10-31-10, 03:42 PM
@DrPop: Itīs OK. I am also glad I came back home!!! Now make me proud....Kick that piece into OVERDRIVE!!!!!

DrPop
10-31-10, 10:09 PM
Thanks Beer, we're trying! The Beerinator is putting out so much heat already I can take my shoes off and have a foot rest with a built in foot warmer! :p

We're not stopping here, though! I figured out my biggest bottleneck was the PSU in the 1st rig (not the new Antec 650W, the other one). The 12V rail was dropping waaaaaaay down with all the O/C, and even the 5V was lower than I'd like to see.

Now that it looks like I've caught up in points per day, I wonder how long it's going to take to erase this 6Mil deficit and blow right on by? Any bets? Let's hear 'em, this ought to be a blast! :D

EDIT: Guess what, Joker? Someone who will remain nameless (for now!:D) generously pitched in to help out the Beerinator, and I got a nice looking high performance Thermaltake 680W PSU sitting here that's going in rig 1 tonight. So now we'll be O/Cing with REAL power - the Antec 650 & the Thermaltake 680. Let's see how much more we can SqUeEzE outta her tomorrow! :cool:

Fire$torm
10-31-10, 11:30 PM
Man, I am beginning to feel soooo, hmmmm, inadequate........

Bout the only thing I can drum up for me is that my 730x has a 1KW PSU. And all of that driving my messily ol' 920 & 4850.

........ I want my mommy!

joker
10-31-10, 11:40 PM
Well since it appears that DrPop has tons of money to put together multiple quads and video cards, perhaps you should ask him for a loan. b-(

DrPop
11-01-10, 12:11 AM
Well since it appears that DrPop has tons of money to put together multiple quads and video cards, perhaps you should ask him for a loan. b-(

Haha - that's the whole problem! I don't have any now, it's all been spent - I even went over a bit (gulp! - I feel a dishwasher coming on!:D) when I had to buy the new PSU, as that was an unexpected circumstance.
Remember, I had to sell all my other hobby gear to get this stuff in the first place.
F$ - you're still the man...look at your MW score - that is some long time dedication there! 1Kw PSU? Now I am drooling at that!

Well, let's just sit tight here and see what we can squeeze out of the rigs tomorrow! I'm sure Joker really wants to take a peek at the stats. Hehehe :cool:

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-01-10, 01:23 AM
Man, I am beginning to feel soooo, hmmmm, inadequate........

Bout the only thing I can drum up for me is that my 730x has a 1KW PSU. And all of that driving my messily ol' 920 & 4850.

........ I want my mommy!

I know the feeling.. All I have are 4 cores TOTAL. 2 in my rig, one in the wife's rig and 1 in the server. Of course, the wife DOES have my GeForce8400 that crunches.. But still.. Very soon tho, I will have me a shiny new GPU in my rig.. Then WATCH OUT! ;)

joker
11-01-10, 01:58 AM
Better get a 5870 Evil! :D

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-01-10, 07:45 AM
Better get a 5870 Evil! :D

I'll get the best my wallet will let me :P

Fire$torm
11-01-10, 11:17 AM
;428']I'll get the best my wallet will let me :P
Roger that. My wallet = "Less than Zero"

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-01-10, 11:57 AM
Roger that. My wallet = "Less than Zero"

Reminds me of a shirt I saw a couple of weeks ago when the wife and I were buying groceries.. "I'm having an out of money experience."

Truer words were never spoken. And now it looks like I'm gonna get stiffed out of $125 that one of my "friends" owes me for a computer I sold him. :|

DrPop
11-01-10, 01:07 PM
Speaking of wallets...this duel is getting expensive!:p
Those cases are so hot I took both the side panels off - I'm going to have separate the cards if we get too much hotter - and a HAF case is not looking too cheap, but I'm going to HAVE to upgrade this mid tower now...oh man...$$$...cha-ching! What kind of towers are you running, Joker?

joker
11-01-10, 01:53 PM
What kind of towers are you running, Joker?

Dont really remember the model numbers but I use Rosewill's. I just go for big and with lots of fans. 1 video card per case keeps things cooler. Also, a case with a top exhaust fan seems to cool better IMHO.

Beerdrinker
11-01-10, 02:27 PM
@Joker:

Noticed the dustcloud coming up behind you???? :cool:

Maxwell
11-01-10, 03:14 PM
Speaking of wallets...this duel is getting expensive!:p
Those cases are so hot I took both the side panels off - I'm going to have separate the cards if we get too much hotter - and a HAF case is not looking too cheap, but I'm going to HAVE to upgrade this mid tower now...oh man...$$$...cha-ching! What kind of towers are you running, Joker?
How hot is hot, and how do you have things configured? For a poor man's option (one I'm currently using), get one of those room fans, open the side panel, and blow the fan right at the card.

And are you saying that Kat needs a new card? :p

joker
11-01-10, 04:07 PM
Noticed the dustcloud coming up behind you????

Yep, looks this dual is over. Congrats DrPop.

Beerdrinker
11-01-10, 05:02 PM
Yep, looks this dual is over. Congrats DrPop.

Ahh Come on....You gonna let him win that easily...? :D

DrPop
11-01-10, 10:30 PM
*PRACTICAL JOKE ALERT!* Joker: Don't be down man! *PRACTICAL JOKE ALERT!*

My good friend Joker,
I must confess: Beer Drinker, Bryan and myself all hatched a great plan to pull a practical joke on YOU - the official JOKER of our team! :D Please forgive us, I don't want you to feel down or put out. It was all in good fun, I assure you!:o

OK, here's what went down: When Beer offered that AMD X4 cpu, I knew that by selling all my other hobby gear, I could scrape together just enough $ to build a rig that would probably match your output - or at least get really close...enough to make you sweat a little if we had a competition. ;)

Well, long story short, since Bryan can put out over 2Mil per day by himself, we agreed that I would give him my BOINC login info, and as soon as I maxed out with the new rig dialed in, he would pick right up where I left off, and keep adding more points every day until we blew right by you. We hit that point today, but we didn't expect such a quick reaction from you, though! Bryan just put on a pair of 5870s to my account today, and that's how I reached over 1Mil. We had enough reserves to post over 2.6Mil per day at the end if everything went according to plan and the joke lasted long enough! ;) The one really evil thing I did was photoshop the box from Beer, though! :D I will include a pic of the real box, it was actually small. Hehehe...notice I said there was A.I.R. (air and bubble wrap) in the box - if the joke went on long enough, we were going to think of something huge for that to stand for, but we never got that far. The "Secret Weapon" we were really referring to was actually Bryan, of course.

The Beerinator has been built, though, so most of the "race" was truthful up until my insane score today. So, here are the real specs of The Beerinator: Beer's AMD PhenomII X4 810 on MSI mobo w/ 4GB DDR3, dual 750GB SATAII HDDs in RAID0. I purchased one ATI 5870 and one 5850 GPU from Newegg. (That should explain the HEAT in the case!)
The roughly 600K I put up yesterday was from mine alone; Bryan added one of his rigs on today, and that's why you saw my score nearly double.

I repeat, this was just a fun practical joke, and we hope there is no hard feelings. Please accept our apologies to anyone if we went overboard!

By the way, (and I hope he is cool with me telling this part), Bryan is the one that so generously donated the 680W PSU, and he ALSO sent a 4850 to Kat for her MW rig! She will have dual GPUs in the pink box when we get finished here - my old 4870 and Bryan's 4850...and those will be on MW 24/7 for the team! Thank you Bryan.
Naturally, Beer donated his AMD PhenomII X4 810 to the cause. Thank you Beer Drinker.
And of course, it wouldn't have gotten off the ground if Joker hadn't started the whole race by upgrading to dual 5830s + the 4870 no less! Thank you Joker.

Hope this is all taken the right way, team - we were just having some fun and energizing everyone for a good time. :D
Now, if you're not too sore from the joking, we can slap each other a high five, and you can pat yourself on the back realizing you made me spend $800 on gear just to keep up with you! Not counting the parts that were donated to the cause! $-);)
And...I would like to form the SETI.USA Bash Brothers Club - and you and I will be the first Bash Bros. I will come up with a good pic for our signature area if you're willing.
Have a great night everyone! (And thanks Bryan for the "free" 600K points for SETI.USA today! :D)
Jed

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-01-10, 10:38 PM
ROFL!!!! That's some good stuff.. I LOVE it!! I hope joker don't take it the wrong way.. I really enjoyed reading the thread, and wondering what the "secret weapon" was.. Good show Beer, DrPop and Bryan! Good show!!

Maxwell
11-01-10, 11:04 PM
I've decided this was mean, and I'm going to take it the wrong way. Not sure what that wrong way is, but I'm going that way... :cool:

Actually, that's pretty awesome, DrPop. I like the Secret Weapon. You almost have me curious enough to test out what my max production could be if I went all "credit ho" instead of MM ho. Depending on my mood, I may do that once my 5870 comes back...

Oh, and you almost got me dragged into this, too. I came a little too close today to buying another video card. Unfortunately, the recliner I just bought prevented that.

Bryan
11-01-10, 11:05 PM
Joker, this proves the old adage from the song that DrPop "Has friends in low places". I qualify for that!

If we had carried this any further I had told everyone that I would tie onto you and give your hard fought lead back ... so it was all in fun. At least we were having fun :D

Gotcha >:)

Maxwell
11-01-10, 11:17 PM
Joker, this proves the old adage from the song that DrPop "Has friends in low places". I qualify for that!
Bryan, you live Colorado. I'd buy "low friends in high places"...

Of course, if the whiskey drowns and the beer chases the blues away for Joker, then all is well... :D

Bryan
11-01-10, 11:22 PM
Bryan, you live Colorado. I'd buy "low friends in high places"...

Actually your description is more accurate ;) I live at 7350' (2261 meters).

Maxwell
11-01-10, 11:41 PM
Actually your description is more accurate ;) I live at 7350' (2261 meters).
Holy crap. All I remembered was CO. No wonder you're so goofy - you're high all the time... ;)

Bryan
11-02-10, 12:00 AM
My brain doesn't get enough oxygen b-(

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-02-10, 12:08 AM
My brain doesn't get enough oxygen b-(

Either that or you're constantly awestruck by the natural beauty of the area you live in.. The Rockies up there are absolutely breathtaking..

DrPop
11-02-10, 01:28 AM
Just checking back in here . . . Joker are you out there buddy? It was a stacked deck, I'm afraid. You fought well - congrats for that. We just had the ATOMIC (Bryan 5850/5870/5970) BOMB over here! :D

I will do a photo blog of building the Beerinator for everyone like you asked when I get the chance. I did actually take photos of everything as it was happening. I hope this goes down as a fun memory for everyone.

Also, Bryan is right, I apologize for not adding that part of the plan to my explanation post. He told us all at the very beginning it would only be fair if he crunched the same amount for Joker when it was all done, until Joker got his lead back. (We were thinking it might get to the point were I was at like 2Mil+ / day with Bryan's help, and that wouldn't be so nice!)
However, with Bryan's help we hit a daily score of 1.2Mil and took today's top slot at DNETC for SETI.USA! I have a feeling that will be the best daily score posted by "DrPop" for quite some time. SETI.USA's RAC actually jumped up today too! :cool:

Have a great night all, we'll see you tomorrow!

joker
11-02-10, 03:16 PM
You guys are just plain mean! :p Next time I think that something is a conspiracy, I will probably be right! I guess I can cancel that order for those 2 5870 now. #:-s

DrPop
11-02-10, 04:06 PM
Does this mean we're still on speaking terms?! :D X_X

joker
11-02-10, 04:54 PM
Does this mean we're still on speaking terms?!

Of coarse! Just alot less on the days that football is on. @-)

joker
11-03-10, 01:44 AM
For the record, I have no bad feelings about the joke that was played on me (the PMs I am getting make me think that you guys think I am angry, I am not.). I feel no need to get any credits "back" from anyone. The fact that all these credits are going to the team puts a big smile on my face. That was/is the point of this dual. More credits for the team! I dont care if anyone "beats" me, the fact that people are putting more effort to the team is the most important part. I dont have the money to go any farther with my crunching (at this time), but I challenge everyone in the team to match me and DrPop (or more)!

Wait a minute, I am stupid................match Bryan!!!

DrPop
11-05-10, 03:51 PM
@Joker: Now you know why we wanted to move the thread over here for posterity! :D

joker
11-05-10, 04:00 PM
Oh, I will remember this! :p