PDA

View Full Version : Sticky for BOINC help?

zombie67
04-30-11, 01:45 AM
Would it be possible to have a sticky for the various BOINC help/doc links? Just a few examples:

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Main_Page
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/ProjectMain
http://boincfaq.mundayweb.com/

Now each of those sites have a huge amount of info. Perhaps it would be better to also pick out links to specific sub pages. For example the page for cc_config.xml.

Anyway, just a thought. Maybe we already have just a place and I missed it. I *am* lazy, after all. ;)

Dandasarge
04-30-11, 01:54 AM
I agree, Zob is lazy.

Ok no I don't agree on that he is after all the MM mastermind. can we link that?

that makes it a 2 vote?

Or am I lazy too?

Maxwell
04-30-11, 01:59 AM
Where do you want them? I think most are in the FAQ...

zombie67
04-30-11, 02:07 AM
Where do you want them? I think most are in the FAQ...

Heh. You do realize that posted this before reading your *cough* post about the FAQ in the other thread? :P

If I was new here. The order of things I would do, if I had BOINC problems/questions:

1) Go to the Forum

2) Look for a sub-forum or thread having to do with my issue.

3) Happily find a BOINC forum

4) No FAQ inside there, and no sticky

5) Start searching on terms I hope work

6) Get frustrated with the poor search results.

7) Quit or go elsewhere.

But that's me. I'm admittedly not normal.

Dandasarge
04-30-11, 02:11 AM
I agree with zob. but i'm not any more normal then he is... can a normal person chime in so i don't feel like a parrot

zombie67
04-30-11, 02:31 AM
Some more thoughts. More about my behavior than what is proper.

I imagine myself going to the (say) LAF forum. I barely understand the words, as it is. But I know I am in a forum, which I am fairly familiar with. So I look for sub forums or threads with words in their subjects that seem appropriate.

I really don't even know to look for a FAQ page.

Perhaps in our BOINC help forum, we put a sticky to our FAQ page? And in that page we could add those links from my first post, if they aren't there already?

Fire$torm
04-30-11, 03:07 AM
@Z: I was going to say. err post that there was a link to the FAQ on the "Home" page, but, err..., I would have been wrong. So like what the hay? Then I saw the FAQ link under the forum tab, Upper left under team banner graphic, but is the only place you see it.

Any chance a permanent FAQ link could be added to the left of the advanced search link? Anyhow, I think Z is right.

Edit, It would also be nice to see more help links on the Home page.

zombie67
04-30-11, 03:12 AM
@Z: I was going to say. err post that there was a link to the FAQ on the "Home" page, but, err..., I would have been wrong. So like what the hay? Then I saw the FAQ link under the forum tab, Upper left under team banner graphic, but is the only place you see it.

Heh. Hiding in plain sight, right? First time I ever noticed it too.

Maxwell
04-30-11, 02:35 PM
FAQ: Under the technical section of the boards, we now have four forums: Hardware, Software (both of which were there before), BOINC Help (formerly "BOINC" - still has all the threads, just has a new name and description), and BOINC FAQ.

BOINC FAQ is closed (you can't post to it), but if you click on the link, it automatically takes you to the BOINC FAQ section on the boards here.

Does that help?

Fire$torm
04-30-11, 02:58 PM
Speaking for myself, I would say........ yes. TY.

zombie67
04-30-11, 05:54 PM
That works for me!