PDA

View Full Version : Storm survival in Alabama

John R.@SETI.USA
05-04-11, 11:16 AM
Well.......digging out from the 20 some tornadoes that came through here last Wednesday..........sitting here on a lappy being powered by my Brother-in-laws generator........sneaking online on someone's wireless unsecured router.

Compared to a lot of people in this area, we came out with rather minor damage.
Had 2 trees hit the house and 2 more hit the van and the truck. No injuries to any of us thank goodness........but, exciting times.

Getting power back to our neighborhood today, but not me........trees that hit our cars also took out all the wiring coming into the house.......in the process of replacing my outdated 100 amp box with a new 200 amp one. Telephone (dsl) is supposed to be fixed by this Friday............

Maxwell
05-04-11, 11:18 AM
Wow, that is scary. Glad you came out of it OK, even if you have some repairs to do...

John R.@SETI.USA
05-04-11, 12:13 PM
Thanks Max........I'll stick a couple of pics up after a while.........

Fire$torm
05-04-11, 12:33 PM
Holy S......

Man, I'm glad that no one was hurt or worse. I hope nothing was damaged beyond repair.

Peace.

trigggl
05-04-11, 12:55 PM
Wow! Sorry to hear about the damage. Glad to hear that you're getting through it OK.

Makes anything I've gone through look like a minor inconvenience.

Crazybob
05-04-11, 01:57 PM
Sorry to hear about the damage, but a least you and your's are alright.

joker
05-04-11, 02:05 PM
Did all the computers survive??? ;)

Mike029
05-04-11, 02:44 PM
Sorry to hear about the mess but glad to hear no one was injured. Items can be replaced.

Wishing you the best.
Mike.

Crazybob's Son
05-04-11, 03:12 PM
Did all the computers survive??? ;)

I was waiting for someone to ask this :D.

Glad you are ok and hopefully all the repairs are quick and seamless to get you back to where you were prior to the storms.

- Jason aka CBS

DrPop
05-04-11, 03:37 PM
Oh man. Wow. I'm so glad to hear you are doing OK considering the circumstances. Thank you for letting us know. You will be in our prayers tonight and I wish you a safe and swift recovery process. It's going to be a lot of work, judging from some of those news shots! :(

John R.@SETI.USA
05-04-11, 05:09 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes.........we were extremely lucky........these were seriously killer storms..........all my boxes came through unscathed.......but, are taking an extended non-crunching vacation because Gramma thinks it's more important to have the fridge plugged in.........State Farm car guy just left......looks like Gramma's van is gonna be a total.......she's NOT happy.......only had 5 payments left on it.........got a check for the dually.........such low miles on it, makes it worth saving.......probably have to spend a month in the shop though.......heh.....glad to have a generator......but costs about $40 a day to run it.......more later.......

DrPop
05-04-11, 05:53 PM
Dang! But...but...can you over clock a fridge? :D
Seriously, though, I'm just really glad it got your cars and not you. And yeah, dedicated though I am -- if I had to choose between crunching or a fridge ... well, hmmm...that is a tough one. ;)

joker
05-04-11, 06:02 PM
He would choose a mini frig and one rig!!! :p;)

Crazybob's Son
05-04-11, 06:04 PM
Crank the fridge up as cold as it can go, then crunch overnight! Just make sure no one goes for midnight snacks while the fridge is unplugged.

DrPop
05-04-11, 06:06 PM
He would choose a mini frig and one rig!!! :p;)

LOL! :D I was thinking in my mind how many hours a fridge will stay cold without power - say maybe 4 hours or so...then I could cycle the fridge on every 4 hours, and then off again to power up the rigs! ;)

EDIT: Sorry, John, we're pretty bad. I don't mean to make light of your current situation there...it's far from humorous, but we're just trying to bring you at least a chuckle if we can. :)

John R.@SETI.USA
05-06-11, 07:01 PM
This is the view of my driveway....there is a van to the right of my truck.

Maxwell
05-06-11, 07:18 PM
This is the view of my driveway....there is a van to the right of my truck.
Tree-mendous pic! (Sorry...)

Holy hell - I'm glad you and family weren't hurt. That looks terrible!

John R.@SETI.USA
05-06-11, 11:31 PM
Woohoo.......got electricity yesterday afternoon and phone line replaced today.

All my boxes are back up except one........starts windows, then gives me the dreaded BSOD.....:-<

Won't be able to work on it until Gramma gets a new van......since I'm the one who suggested she park it where 2 tons of pine tree fell on it, I better work on getting out of that dog-house before I order any more 'puter parts.

joker
05-07-11, 12:05 AM
starts windows, then gives me the dreaded BSOD.....

PSU issue????

Maxwell
05-07-11, 12:31 AM
PSU issue????
My thought was capacitor on the Mobo - I think that was the exact symptom I had on the machine I shipped off to F$

joker
05-07-11, 12:48 AM
My thought was capacitor on the Mobo

Might need to get one of those FLUX ones. ;)

Fire$torm
05-07-11, 12:54 AM
PSU issue????

My thought was capacitor on the Mobo - I think that was the exact symptom I had on the machine I shipped off to F$

Could be one or more bad caps. They do not fare well with power spikes. Spikes with tons of voltage ripple and nasty harmonics tend to kill caps. Though most components wouldn't fair any better.

Simple test. Swap out the PSU. If you still get BSOD then its not the PSU. Then test with a different HDD, then RAM, etc... You get the idea.

John R.@SETI.USA
05-07-11, 01:35 PM
Thanks for all the advice.......have had trouble with this Asus MOBO before.....probably gonna have to replace it.

Here's a link to some of the pics my wife took after the storm.

http://photos2.walmart.com/walmart/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=5549046002/a=7710490_7710490/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=walmart/

joker
05-07-11, 04:15 PM
Time to get out the chain saw and cut yourself a parameter!

Crazybob
05-08-11, 04:21 PM
Looks like you won't have any shortage of firewood. Don't hurt yourself. Looks like a lot of work ahead.

Crazybob's Son
05-09-11, 12:00 PM
Holy! Glad no one was injured. Sucks that the vehicles took a beating (moto in the back yard :( ) Looks like you have a long road ahead to get back to normal.

- Jason

rgathright
05-09-11, 02:06 PM
Thanks for all the advice.......have had trouble with this Asus MOBO before.....probably gonna have to replace it.

Here's a link to some of the pics my wife took after the storm.

http://photos2.walmart.com/walmart/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=5549046002/a=7710490_7710490/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=walmart/

Oh my! Glad you made it through the storm!

Could you do me a huge favor?

TELL US THE NAMES OF ORGANIZATIONS THAT YOU HAVE SEEN HELPING IN THE AREA!

I would like to donate to the cause but only want to help those who help you. :D

Here in Lake Charles, Louisiana after Hurricane Rita, we were so glad to get help from so many unknown aid groups.