PDA

View Full Version : PS3: Gitbrew releases otherOS++ PS3 Linux Dual Boot

zombie67
05-05-11, 10:51 AM
http://games.slashdot.org/submission/1559340/Gitbrew-releases-otherOS-PS3-Linux-Dual-Boot

If I am reading this right, this will allow you to install linux, even on the newer PS3s.

Slicker
05-05-11, 11:55 AM
So... to compile a PS3 boinc app, does one just compile for ppc64 architecture or am I totally off base?

Maxwell
05-05-11, 11:59 AM
So... to compile a PS3 boinc app, does one just compile for ppc64 architecture or am I totally off base?
Yes and no. Trigggl has done this and gotten it to work on his PS3, I have not gotten the same apps to work. I also think the version of the BOINC manager has something to do with it and how it recognizes and works with the SPEs.

trigggl
05-05-11, 07:50 PM
Yes and no. Trigggl has done this and gotten it to work on his PS3, I have not gotten the same apps to work. I also think the version of the BOINC manager has something to do with it and how it recognizes and works with the SPEs.

I installed boinc using Gentoo's portage, then I compiled the same version of BOINC from scratch on my own using 'powerpc64-ps3-linux-gnu' as the main arch and 'powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu' as the alternate. Then I just replaced boinc, boinccmd and boincmgr with the new ones. So, I can run PS3 and low ram ppc64.

That reminds me, I need to get Enigma going on it again.

trigggl
05-05-11, 07:55 PM
http://games.slashdot.org/submission/1559340/Gitbrew-releases-otherOS-PS3-Linux-Dual-Boot

If I am reading this right, this will allow you to install linux, even on the newer PS3s.

zombie, did you notice this part?

...including all 8 CELL cores...

zombie67
05-05-11, 08:06 PM
zombie, did you notice this part?

Interesting. It's been a while now. I thought the PS3 had only 6? Or does it have 8, but only 6 are turned on?

John P. Myers
05-05-11, 08:10 PM
Interesting. It's been a while now. I thought the PS3 had only 6? Or does it have 8, but only 6 are turned on?

Yes it has 8. 7 are turned on, but 1 is used by the system for redundancy, leaving 6 for actual usage.

trigggl
05-05-11, 08:33 PM

Compiling an app that actually uses the cell spu's is a little more complicated than your standard app. The SPU part of the app has to be cross-compiled and then linked to the ppc64 portion of the app. This is way beyond my abilities. I'm a compiler, not a programmer.

Basically, any app you compile yourself will be a standard ppc64, or ppc is you're using 32-bit userspace.