PDA

View Full Version : I'm Pissed

Aux10
05-17-11, 04:45 PM
My little brother got a new desktop and I'm pissed about it. I'm not jealous or anything but I'm pissed at the manufacture and have once again been reminded while I'll never buy a pre built system again. He spent $1,000+ on getting a new HP saying that manufactured systems cost less than builds. There is a reason for that though, it's because they give you the bare minimum hardware required to run the customers desired specs. That 3TB HD he was boasting about, you guessed it, they gave him a WD Green drive! He doesn't seem to care about using what was meant to be a storage/backup drive as his startup disk but I know I sure do! Then there's his PSU. He bought the system intending to install GTX 460 after he got it. When I went to install it for him I saw exactly what I expected, the bare minimum. There was only one, six pin which was connected to the card that we were replacing, but we needed two. There were also no four pin HD connectors anywhere in sight. Also the PSU met the minimum wattage exactly meaning not only lost PSU efficiency (there was no 80+ cert sticker on it any way) but increased blowout risk and heat issues. Not to mention the fact that PSUs lose output ability over time. So he's gona have to buy an after market PSU for it. Besides, I'd trust quality after market parts more than the cheap parts PC manufactures use any day. Also it seems his CPU is under powered. He's got an 3.6 GHz I7, but I don't know the core type though. Any way there is only one four pin connector on the board instead of two. Now we all know if we want the most out of our CPUs we should allow it access to more power than it needs with a good PSU and two four pins. In his case HP gave him the bare minimum so he has no chance of pushing its limits. And thats why I'm pissed, he paid tons of money only to get skimped off in small but critical areas.

Dandasarge
05-17-11, 04:50 PM
I know the feeling, I work in an office full of dells, I don't think one could handle a Video Card..

rgathright
05-17-11, 04:55 PM
I know the feeling, I work in an office full of dells, I don't think one could handle a Video Card..

Word.

I am replacing a Dell computer at this moment because it just cannot support the video surveillance system that I am building.

The solution? I built a computer with 4 year old parts that can hold 8x SATA drives and it even supports four DDR2 memory slots which the Dell only had 2.

Fire$torm
05-17-11, 04:57 PM
Yeah man, I feel your pain. All the mass market companies are just POS junk pushers and pimps. Puget Systems (http://www.pugetsystems.com/) is a rare exception. But they don't spec out hardware to reduce costs and quality.

I hope your brother has learned from this? You know, he could always sell it on eBay and start from scratch.........

DrPop
05-17-11, 05:00 PM
Can he return it? I believe he should have a 30 day window, "No questions asked" where he can just give it right back and say... "Here". Take your junk, thank you.

Ahhhh...thanks for the reminder that all the late nights tinkering are so worth it in the end! :cool:

Mike029
05-17-11, 05:06 PM
I'm sure you pointed this all out to him. He should pack it up and take it back if that is an option.

Aux10
05-17-11, 05:07 PM
Yeah man, I feel your pain. All the mass market companies are just POS junk pushers and pimps. Puget Systems (http://www.pugetsystems.com/) is a rare exception. But they don't spec out hardware to reduce costs and quality.

I hope your brother has learned from this? You know, he could always sell it on eBay and start from scratch.........

He hasn't learned anything! He's perfectly happy with the trash heap regardless of what I say. He still doesn't get why manufactured systems are cheaper, a classic consumer.

rgathright
05-17-11, 05:11 PM
He hasn't learned anything! He's perfectly happy with the trash heap regardless of what I say. He still doesn't get why manufactured systems are cheaper, a classic consumer.

Have you seen the movie Idiocracy? It helps calm me down when I get upset about the lack of emotion among the "average consumer". :cool:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51IIR5mRs4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

joker
05-17-11, 05:13 PM

Did you mom drop him on his head when he was a baby?? :-"

Classic movie!!

Aux10
05-17-11, 05:15 PM
Did you mom drop him on his head when he was a baby?? :-"

No, but he was born a month early through a c-section due to pregnancy issues.

Dandasarge
05-17-11, 05:35 PM
Have you seen the movie Idiocracy? It helps calm me down when I get upset about the lack of emotion among the "average consumer". :cool:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51IIR5mRs4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'll have to netflix that

DrPop
05-17-11, 05:45 PM
I was just going to say that looked right up my alley! ;)

joker
05-17-11, 05:49 PM
Wow, I figured that everybody had seen that movie. Prepare to chuckle.

Shadow
05-17-11, 05:56 PM

You should jump on Newegg and throw together a system in your cart with that $1000 as a budget and show him what he could have versus what he does have.

joker
05-17-11, 06:10 PM
You should jump on Newegg and throw together a system in your cart with that $1000 as a budget and show him what he could have versus what he does have.

What I could do with $1000 at Newegg..................=P~=P~=P~

DrPop
05-17-11, 07:58 PM
What I could do with $1000 at Newegg..................=P~=P~=P~

Hehehe...you and me both! If we ever win one of their little sweepstakes things, we'll get to find out! :D

Dandasarge
05-17-11, 08:11 PM
Hehehe...you and me both! If we ever win one of their little sweepstakes things, we'll get to find out! :D

Everyone in the team knows what you would do :)

joker
05-17-11, 08:13 PM
Everyone in the team knows what you would do

Indeed......buy himself a REALLY big dog house! :)):)):))

DrPop
05-17-11, 08:14 PM

Lolololol!!! :))

Mike029
05-17-11, 08:47 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAA you've been talking to my wife...

Aux10
05-17-11, 08:49 PM
First thing on my list would be a shiny new I7 Sandy Bridge.

YoDude9999
05-17-11, 11:03 PM
Hey, don't be pissed, YOU are the smart one!

Yo-

John P. Myers
05-18-11, 02:41 AM
At least it was an HP and not a Dell. The Dell would've been far worse.

And if you were to use the exact same parts, you can build that exact same computer for far less than what he paid for it, even without rebates or combo deals. Pre-built computers are a joke.

At least the HD was a Western Digital. Dell would've used...well...who knows.

Also be careul at places that sell pre-built computers *cough*BestBuy*cough*

They still sell SATA hard drives. Not SATA III or even SATA II. SATA. And for full price. They assume anyone that would buy a prebuilt computer won't know the difference anyway. And sad to say, they're probably right.

joker
05-18-11, 11:19 AM
My folks bought a Dell a couple of year back from Best Buy (NOT MY FAULT!!) and within a week, HDD failed. Best Buy said "not our problem, talk to Dell".

YoDude9999
05-18-11, 11:19 AM
We use Dells at work and they crap out all the time. They seem to be good for about 3 years and then they start going down hill. I had one that was running just fine one day, the next day it wouldn't boot. Something went amiss with the HD, though the computer itself still runs. I was able to save the important data from the drive, but I don't trust the computer to not do something bad to another drive if I replace it.

I replaced that computer with one of my own personal computers that's been running for 5 years now without issue. It's an HP SR1903-WM. Though its expandability is somewhat limited (only one PCI-E slot) and the power supply was only a 235 watter, with a new Ultra 650 watt PS that I had to shoehorn in and a 5970 to replace the onboard video, it crunches quite nicely. Oh yeah, I replaced the Sempron in it with a 3800+. It'll support a 4800+ and the 512m memory with 3g.

So basically, I bought a MB, case, CD reader/writer, mouse and keyboard for about $380. One thing I can say for it, is that its been a rock solid system.

Yo-

John P. Myers
05-18-11, 12:32 PM
Alot of people have issues trying to upgrade the PSU in Dells too. They use non-standard sizes in many of their computers, forcing you to purchase another one through Dell, which charges a very substantial premium for having the monopoly on these PSUs.

Not to mention their 'system specific' RAM. For example, they charge you $80 (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3414621&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch) for this 2GB stick of RAM, when you could something just as good at Newegg for $22. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313070) Also notice how Dell doesn't want to tell you the CAS Latency (or any of the other timings) of their 'special' RAM.

Fire$torm
05-18-11, 02:45 PM
Also notice how Dell doesn't want to tell you the CAS Latency (or any of the other timings) of their 'special' RAM.

Thank the maker for tools like CPU-Z. :-bd

Aux10
05-18-11, 02:49 PM
On the bright side I did get something out of it. He wanted to get even more ram for it so he had me replace his 4 2GB modules for 4 3GB modules. I got to keep the old ones so I was able to double Cassandra's (for you newer guy's here, thats the name of my build) ram from 4GB to 8GB. I don't get why he thinks he needs 12GB of ram. He's not into editing or anything, just games. Oh well, more for me! :D