PDA

View Full Version : CPU cooler comparisons

John P. Myers
05-18-11, 03:17 PM
Cooler Review (http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1616/6/)

The majority of these are air coolers, however the Corsair H60 is thrown in as well. Notice how horribly it performed :D

Fire$torm
05-18-11, 03:53 PM
Thx for making my life even more miserable then it was.... (j/k)

Now, because of that review, I want this sweet puppy of a cooler.

ZALMAN CNPS11X Extreme
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/vseiBT8dNgAxxMtLJCi-oMey7phrnldD3lB6JBBKRlJoMQbfWpeZAGHuRLEKd-4IdXfD-mGV7RG0mOpz3yFfXa9crFKMmYUWk9_vogxPcmpVsqbO0w0nZkX cQk5S6QNosRXvzAxYcXtoht0lN6aGYViSDqZ50xilFSpX0YM3U kio

Not that I can afford it, but I want it..........

YoDude9999
05-19-11, 08:53 AM
I find it very strange that they didn't include the Coolermaster V8 or V10 in the comparison as these are excellent coolers.

Yo-

Mike029
05-19-11, 10:07 AM
I have used this heatsink on my 1190 build and was wondering what you thought of using it on the 2600k sandybridge that's on the way?

I'd like to Oc the 2600k on air to 4.0 or so. Not looking to push much more than that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&Tpk=Hyper%20212%20Plus

I can pick this up for $25.00 at Micro Center. Unless you have a better cooler for around the same price? :)

Shadow
05-19-11, 11:22 AM
I have used this heatsink on my 1190 build and was wondering what you thought of using it on the 2600k sandybridge that's on the way?

I'd like to Oc the 2600k on air to 4.0 or so. Not looking to push much more than that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&Tpk=Hyper%20212%20Plus

I can pick this up for $25.00 at Micro Center. Unless you have a better cooler for around the same price? :)

It'll definitely be better than the stock cooler that comes with the chip. Should be a fine match.

Fire$torm
05-19-11, 12:59 PM
Its one of the best coolers at that price point.

John P. Myers
05-19-11, 12:59 PM
I find it very strange that they didn't include the Coolermaster V8 or V10 in the comparison as these are excellent coolers.

Yo-

Well, if you want, you can check out other smaller reviews that compare the V8/10 to prolimatechs (iirc the prolimatechs performed a tad better than the V8's. Not sure about V10s). This is simply a listing of every cooler they had on hand that were tested on the exact same system at stock speeds, and 2 different OC settings.

Mike029
05-29-11, 11:25 AM
Ok, new build is running. I bought the Cooler Master hyper 212 Plus for my 2600k cpu.

I'e not oc'd it yet and I'm seeing temps of 66 while running boinc. (Primabionica and QMC) Did not run P95 I figured Boinc would stress it enough.

I was hoping to oc it some but not sure I should at these temps. I have taken it apart twice now and reapplied thermal paste (Artic Silver 5), reseat the heastsink, No change in temps. I also noticed that the heatsink seems to touch the cpu bracket. I know it says that this HS is compatible with the 1155 chipset but what about the z68 mb?

I'm wondering if I'll see any significant temp. changes if I spend the extra money and I get the H70?

Would you be comfortable oc'ing it and running the temps into the 70's?

Thanks for the help.

YoDude9999
05-29-11, 11:37 AM
I've never had any problems running my CPUS into the 70s, 80s or 90s even. Of course lower is better but 70s seem to be perfectly acceptble, though, keep in mind, this is my own personal experience. I don't recommend it, but it doesn't seem to be a problem either.

Yo-

zombie67
05-29-11, 04:15 PM

The Core Duo in my old macbook pro is in the high 90s°C 24/7. But that's a different chip. According to the specs for the 2600k, the max TCASE is 72.6°C You may be able to go over that. But I don't have any experience with it, to say if it is reliable or not.

Fire$torm
05-29-11, 05:14 PM
Ok, new build is running. I bought the Cooler Master hyper 212 Plus for my 2600k cpu.

I'e not oc'd it yet and I'm seeing temps of 66 while running boinc. (Primabionica and QMC) Did not run P95 I figured Boinc would stress it enough.

I was hoping to oc it some but not sure I should at these temps. I have taken it apart twice now and reapplied thermal paste (Artic Silver 5), reseat the heastsink, No change in temps. I also noticed that the heatsink seems to touch the cpu bracket. I know it says that this HS is compatible with the 1155 chipset but what about the z68 mb?

I'm wondering if I'll see any significant temp. changes if I spend the extra money and I get the H70?

Thanks for the help.

Mike, something is not right. You should be seeing much lower Temps! OK, time for a few questions. And plz remember I'm not trying to insult you.

1) How did you prep the CPU and apply the thermal paste? It should be only a fraction of a hair's width thick.

2) Did you double check how the cooler mates to the CPU? Only the base of the cooler should touch the CPU and nothing else. No other part of the cooler should contact anything on the MB. Not sure on the 212 (I'll do some checking) but some coolers allow you to rotate the mounting position so the fan can face "North South" or "East West" relative to the bottom of the case.

3) This question should have been first..... Are you letting the system control the cooler and case fan speeds or are you using a third-party utility like SpeedFan, nVidia's Control Panel, etc...?

4) No insult here but I know people have done it,... Are the Intake fans blowing into the case and the exhaust fans blowing out of the case? (joker!!! leave this alone............)

As a comparison, My i7 920 runs hotter then your Sandy Bridge and is less efficient. When I was using the original air cooler which used a single 92mm fan my CPU hovered at 55C running Aqua on six threads and gaming at the same time.

Mike029
05-29-11, 09:32 PM
No problem with the questions F$ or anyone else that has something to add. That said, I'll answer the questions.

1&4) I prep'd the cpu by adding only a bb sized amount of thermal past AS5 to the center of the cpu. I placed the heatsink down and twisted the heatsink into place. Lifted the heatsink and looked at the bottom and the cpu to make sure I had a good thin layer. All looked good. (No paster hanging over the side of the cpu)

2) I set the cooler to face the 120mm fan at the rear. I have the rear fan blowing cool air in and 2 fans in a push/pull setup blowing into the case. My case (Azza Hurrican 2000) has 2 230mm fans at the top to pull out hot air so blowing into the case was not a problem.

3) I'm not using any fan controller just letting the bios from Asus, AI suite II control the fans.

Perhaps I'll turn the heatsink to face the top and try that pushing air to the top and out. Not sure I'll be able to though due to the memory. But I'll give it a try Tuesday. Running Aqua the temps are 68 to 70, Running Prima, the temps hit 80.

zombie67
05-29-11, 10:45 PM
1&4) I prep'd the cpu by adding only a bb sized amount of thermal past AS5 to the center of the cpu. I placed the heatsink down and twisted the heatsink into place. Lifted the heatsink and looked at the bottom and the cpu to make sure I had a good thin layer. All looked good. (No paster hanging over the side of the cpu)

If you separate them to look (or whatever), then you have to clean reapply the grease. You can't pull them apart to inspect, and and then put them back together. That allows air bubbles into the mix.

Also, which temp is being measured? It is not clear to me the difference between the various values from the chips vs. the various apps that report them. It looks like they terminology may bit be consistent, or the values on which they report.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243998-29-what-tjunction