PDA

View Full Version : SETI.USA Brain Drain - Daily Trivia Game

Maxwell
10-30-10, 08:20 PM
We need a new thread for this over on the new boards, so here we go.

We've got a daily trivia challenge set up for us here: http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90634

There is a new quiz every day, and a daily and monthly competition. This has been going on three months now, and we've had three different winners. You do have to register on the site, but it only takes a few seconds and does not require an activation email. The more people who play, the more fun it is.

Thanks to NJCaNS for setting it up and moderating it! Come on by and have some fun with us!

Scoring: 100*(# of questions correct) - seconds to complete the quiz
Ties are broken by whoever finishes first.

Fire$torm
10-31-10, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Unfortunately, it has not made it to my daily routine, yet. :-t

Maxwell
11-01-10, 01:24 AM
Posted over on the old boards:

Tomorrow begins a new month with a clean slate. I convinved the admin to make the categories more difficult to see what happens. Don't be intimidated by the harder levels. Be glad their not international categories.

NOTE: the main goal is to get many team members to play, keep it competitive or at least interesting/challenging to members. Feel free to make comments.

Someone convince John R. to play more regularly. Looks like he could be a threat to MaxwellII.

End of bump.

p.s. Nice work Shadow. Don't mind us if we come after you this month. :)

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-01-10, 01:32 AM
Just been added to my daily routine.. Never was able to find the link on the old boards lol

Maxwell
11-01-10, 01:41 AM
;420']Just been added to my daily routine.. Never was able to find the link on the old boards lol
Glad you're joining us!

If you can beat ShadowLurker, we'd love to have you around. If you consistently beat me, however, please stop playing... :cool::p

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-01-10, 07:47 AM
Glad you're joining us!

If you can beat ShadowLurker, we'd love to have you around. If you consistently beat me, however, please stop playing... :cool::p

A challenge! ;)

Maxwell
11-01-10, 10:17 AM
These questions are hard. Me likey...:-bd

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-01-10, 10:34 AM
These questions are hard. Me likey...:-bd

3 seconds. You SUCK! :P

Maxwell
11-01-10, 10:50 AM
;433']3 seconds. You SUCK! :P
Hehe...b-)

Though you should be directing your wrath at Mike...

DrBob
11-01-10, 01:05 PM
@NJCaNS - Is everyone competing from the same question set or are the daily questions totally random for each player? :confused:
Some of the comments posted in the trivia chat over the past couple of weeks indicate everyone is getting different questions.

@Maxwell - Could you play a couple of hours apart on both of your accounts tomorrow to see if the challenge is consistent or if questions are random?

Maxwell
11-01-10, 03:10 PM
@Maxwell - Could you play a couple of hours apart on both of your accounts tomorrow to see if the challenge is consistent or if questions are random?
I'm like you - I thought we all got the same questions. But maybe not...

I just played on my other account, and got a completely different set of questions than I got this morning. That strikes me as odd. Any thoughts, NJ?

DrBob
11-01-10, 03:29 PM
I'm like you - I thought we all got the same questions. But maybe not...

I just played on my other account, and got a completely different set of questions than I got this morning...Officer Barbrady, I declare Shenanigans!
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103481/shenanigans

Maxwell
11-01-10, 03:42 PM
Officer Barbrady, I declare Shenanigans!
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103481/shenanigans
Hehe... I like it!

Yeah, not sure what's going on with those questions on the trivia challenge...

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-01-10, 05:49 PM
Hehe...b-)

Though you should be directing your wrath at Mike...

He was already ahead of me immediately after I took the quiz tho.. You just coasted by in 3 seconds :P

thepossum1
11-06-10, 03:24 AM
Saturday's quiz category: Hobbies

9/10 missed the Boggle one--don't play it, too noisy when you shake the letters up :(

Maxwell
11-06-10, 03:27 AM
Saturday's quiz category: Hobbies

9/10 missed the Boggle one--don't play it, too noisy when you shake the letters up :(
I'll play in the morning when I can appropriately spank you... ;)

thepossum1
11-06-10, 03:39 AM
hehe it IS the morning, but go ahead and try to spank me---you KNOW I'm missing 1 on purpose don't you :P

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-06-10, 01:52 PM
hehe it IS the morning, but go ahead and try to spank me---you KNOW I'm missing 1 on purpose don't you :P
Of course we do.. That's why I had to go through and do it without missing any :D

thepossum1
11-07-10, 09:01 AM
:P ok the gauntlet is thrown down lol Bring it muahahahahahahahaha

10/10 but this was a crip quiz--everyone should get all

STMahlberg
11-07-10, 09:23 AM

I'm horrible at trivia... 8/10

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-07-10, 09:45 AM
Well, it's bottom of the pile for me.. 7/10 :(

Maxwell
11-07-10, 10:15 AM

Someone just threw down the trash-talk...:rolleyes:

I think we know who the person we are all chasing is going to be this month...

thepossum1
11-08-10, 01:13 AM
Waaah, site maintenance time on the trivia site :( I'm all coffeed up and ready to play

thepossum1
11-08-10, 01:26 AM
ok, missed 2 so y'all can catch up :P

Maxwell
11-08-10, 01:36 AM
ok, missed 2 so y'all can catch up :P
Morning I'll revisit this. I've learned that beer + Maxwell + trivia = low success rate. But good to know the bar is low... \m/

Slicker
11-08-10, 10:18 AM
I hate those really tough ones. Educated guesses take more time. With the highest time today, I guess that means I knew the fewest even though I got the most right (so far).

Maxwell
11-08-10, 01:10 PM
Having owned and watched 5 seasons of House helped me on that one...

thepossum1
11-09-10, 08:30 AM
Mash head firmly onto desk repeatedly---see, should've taken test BEFORE I went to bed---I unintentionally missed a question--didn't even see it as I scrolled downX_X

9/10--ok, time to hitch up the panties and get serious lol

Maxwell
11-09-10, 10:24 AM
Mash head firmly onto desk repeatedly---see, should've taken test BEFORE I went to bed---I unintentionally missed a question--didn't even see it as I scrolled downX_X

9/10--ok, time to hitch up the panties and get serious lol
Definitely time to hitch up those panties. I just caught up yesterday, and am ahead of you on time today...:cool:

thepossum1
11-10-10, 05:35 PM
hehe panties are up so high I gave myself a wedgie :P

ACK!! Baseball, why'd it have to be baseball??? 4/10, going to keep last place warm for awhile I'll bet.Correctly guessed the harder ones--the easy killed me :(

thepossum1
11-11-10, 09:35 AM
7/10--moral--go with your gut and DON'T change an answer :(

Fire$torm
11-12-10, 12:01 AM
Epic Fail.

..... I want my Mommy!

STMahlberg
11-12-10, 08:38 AM
Epic Fail.

..... I want my Mommy!

Very funny. =))

7/10 for today's.

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-12-10, 08:49 AM
7/10 and just over a minute to get that many wrong.. B-)

Maxwell
11-12-10, 02:12 PM
Goodness that was hard today...

DrBob
11-12-10, 05:50 PM
Goodness that was hard today...Not so much that but today's category was History, not sure I saw any questions from that class. :confused:

thepossum1
11-12-10, 07:07 PM
Agreed DrBob--I think they use the word "history" quite loosely.

8/10...and not on purpose :P

Fire$torm
11-12-10, 07:26 PM
Agreed DrBob--I think they use the word "history" quite loosely.

8/10...and not on purpose :P

Arcane would be a better catagory. Or "Gone the way of Latin".

Anyhow, got 5/10 so my brain must be half empty today.

thepossum1
11-13-10, 07:33 AM
Another category not fitting most of the questions--hobbies

7/10--I guess I'll never learn--changed answer on one & my guesses on the other two just plain sucked wind.

I hadn't had my second cup of coffee, yeah, that's what was wrong--that's my story & I'm sticking to it :P

STMahlberg
11-13-10, 03:18 PM
8/10 For me.

STMahlberg
11-13-10, 03:31 PM
Another category not fitting most of the questions--hobbies

I thought drinking was a hobby. ;)

Maxwell
11-13-10, 03:37 PM
I thought drinking was a hobby. ;)
It can be, but you need to practice it quite a bit...

Fire$torm
11-14-10, 01:35 AM
Ack! Forgot about Saturday. At least I'm being consistently inconsistent :))

The good news is I am 10/10 for today! I actually knew all the answers except the question on Spanish. No Habla Espanol......

STMahlberg
11-14-10, 05:42 AM
9/10 For today.

thepossum1
11-14-10, 09:44 AM
BINGO! No, wait, wrong game.

10/10 now let's see if I can keep that going :))

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-14-10, 08:26 PM
BINGO! No, wait, wrong game.

10/10 now let's see if I can keep that going :))
Gotcha beat ;) By a mere 20 seconds :D

thepossum1
11-15-10, 07:26 AM
Woot Kaotic!! nice job :)

:(( A dismal 6/10 why can't I stop myself when I choose an answer but rethink it and change it???????????

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-15-10, 07:51 AM
Woot Kaotic!! nice job :)

:(( A dismal 6/10 why can't I stop myself when I choose an answer but rethink it and change it???????????

NJCaNS
11-16-10, 12:43 AM
Today was a very interesting competition. Was glad we were sitting around the bar the other day discussing "Using IUPAC naming, what is the name for the molecule having a methyl (CH3) group attached to an 8-carbon alkane ring?". It really helped today. Now that might sound like an odd conversation for a bar but it was a bowling alley bar.

DrPop, we really needed you to play today. If for no other reason to see how's your organic chemistry.

Maxwell
11-16-10, 01:59 AM
Today was a very interesting competition. Was glad we were sitting around the bar the other day discussing "Using IUPAC naming, what is the name for the molecule having a methyl (CH3) group attached to an 8-carbon alkane ring?". It really helped today. Now that might sound like an odd conversation for a bar but it was a bowling alley bar.

DrPop, we really needed you to play today. If for no other reason to see how's your organic chemistry.
Hey now. I did some OChem back in the day. I totally would have followed that conversation. That failed chem major treated me well for trivia...

thepossum1
11-16-10, 07:44 AM
hahahaha you guys crack me up.

Grats to Shadowlurker on a perfect 10 yesterday!

oh yeah--redemption--10/10 today ;)

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-17-10, 06:37 AM
A dismal 2/10 this morning for me.. I hate the baseball one. Especially bad after getting 10/10 yesterday, and beating Mr. Hankey by a second..

thepossum1
11-17-10, 06:39 AM
What gives with all the baseball quizzes????

2/10 @-) I'm taking a little consolation in the fact that I didn't completely goose egg the thing

EDIT--hahaha Kaotic--you beat me to posting--well, now I'm also consoled by you getting the same score :P

Yeah, it really bites to do so awesome one day and suck the next, huh? Amazing times for you & Mr. Hankey.

Slicker
11-17-10, 09:34 AM
The scores show it all. The less you know about baseball trivia, the smarter you really are. Looks like out team is made up of pretty smart people!

DrBob
11-17-10, 09:50 AM
What gives with all the baseball quizzes????Yeah, every week. :(
Did you also notice it’s the only category where the questions actually pertain to the subject title? :confused:

Shadowlurker
11-17-10, 10:10 PM
This is some pretty obscure baseball stuff, I only had 2 that I was sure of.

Maxwell
11-17-10, 10:45 PM
This is some pretty obscure baseball stuff, I only had 2 that I was sure of.
YEAH. Can you name the only left handed batter to hit better than .350 during the month of May while wearing boxers and shoes with red laces?

No. And if you can, you need to learn to follow a more interesting sport.

Shadowlurker
11-17-10, 10:49 PM
Love your new pic Max, is there a beatles song in there somewhere?

Maxwell
11-17-10, 11:01 PM
Love your new pic Max, is there a beatles song in there somewhere?
I'm going to say no, since I have no clue what you are talking about. I'm not really a Beatles fan...

Shadowlurker
11-17-10, 11:10 PM
Maxwells Silver Hammer off Abbey Road

Maxwell
11-17-10, 11:12 PM
Maxwells Silver Hammer off Abbey Road
Oh. Interesting. I never knew that.

You know, that might actually be why Denim suggested this name back in the day... ;)

zombie67
11-17-10, 11:46 PM
Just played for the fist time. Of course, the topic was baseball. I am pretty sure I know more about, well, anything else. I got two right by random luck. Time seems to factor into the score. Is that to prevent googling? I will have to keep that in mine for the future.

Maxwell
11-18-10, 12:08 AM
Just played for the fist time. Of course, the topic was baseball. I am pretty sure I know more about, well, anything else. I got two right by random luck. Time seems to factor into the score. Is that to prevent googling? I will have to keep that in mine for the future.
Yep. Your score is (#right * 100) - time [in seconds].

Ties are broken by who answered first. And yeah. I even follow baseball loosely. But not in that detail...

NJCaNS
11-18-10, 01:16 AM
Personally I like the BB one. Some very humbling scores and the winner is crowned the least inept.

Just know there is a worse category available. Maybe next month. {twisted evil}

thepossum1
11-18-10, 07:53 AM
YEAH. Can you name the only left handed batter to hit better than .350 during the month of May while wearing boxers and shoes with red laces?

No. And if you can, you need to learn to follow a more interesting sport.

If you can, you need to get a real life and join SETI.USA hahahahahahahahahaha

10/10 today and the roller coaster ride begins anew--will probably be another baseball quiz tomorrow :D Getting the Dramamine ready

EDIT--oops missed reading the last posts--ok, now I'm intrigued--what category could POSSIBLY be worse than baseball????????

DrBob
11-18-10, 10:30 AM
--ok, now I'm intrigued--what category could POSSIBLY be worse than baseball????????Dunno... Golf? :))

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-18-10, 10:44 AM
Dunno... Golf? :))
Tennis? Ping pong? Tiddlywinks? All that aside, the baseball category is certainly the one that nearly everyone does poorly at lol

Shadowlurker
11-18-10, 12:16 PM
I'd have enjoyed this even more if you had gotten 10 Max :D

Slicker
11-18-10, 01:17 PM
I hate when I knew them all but missed answering a question. Too slow for first though even if I had gotten it correct. Nice work Shadowlurker!

Maxwell
11-18-10, 04:36 PM
I'd have enjoyed this even more if you had gotten 10 Max :D
Yeah, I was irritated. One random question out of left field I had never heard of, got me a nine... :mad:

NJCaNS
11-19-10, 01:16 AM
;1723']Tennis? Ping pong? Tiddlywinks? All that aside, the baseball category is certainly the one that nearly everyone does poorly at lol
Soccer and/or cricket.

Random question out of left field eh Maxwell? So you do know something baseball related. :D

Today's contest was a total flip on the scoring from baseball. 9 right in 77 seconds is a last place. >:D<

thepossum1
11-19-10, 07:54 AM
Ugh--5/10 like I said, rollercoaster ride :( Another non-history history set of questions.

Hey Shadowlurker---37 seconds yesterday? ^:)^

Shadowlurker
11-19-10, 10:19 AM
I know when I think history Broadway musicals are the first thing that comes to mind.

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-19-10, 10:37 AM
I know when I think history Broadway musicals are the first thing that comes to mind.
That's exactly what I was thinking lol

Maxwell
11-19-10, 01:05 PM
From Dictionary.com, the definition of "History":

1. the branch of knowledge dealing with past events.
2. a continuous, systematic narrative of past events as relating to a particular people, country, period, person, etc., usually written as a chronological account; chronicle: a history of France; a Medical history of the patient.
3. the aggregate of past events.
4. the record of past events and times, esp. in connection with the human race.
5. a past notable for its important, unusual, or interesting events: a ship with a history.
6. acts, ideas, or events that will or can shape the course of the future; immediate but significant happenings: Firsthand observers of our space program see history in the making.
7. a systematic account of any set of natural phenomena without particular reference to time: a history of the American eagle.
8. a drama representing historical events: Shakespeare's comedies, histories, and tragedies.

And in case that is at all unclear (since every definition includes the word "event"), here is the definition for "event":

something that happens or is regarded as happening; an occurrence, esp. one of some importance.

So yes. So when you have a category about chronicling past things that actually happened, the first thing you should be thinking of is Norse Mythology and Broadway Musicals... ;)

thepossum1
11-20-10, 08:26 AM
8/10--mental note--stop rethinking answers!!!!!!!!! grrrrr

Maxwell
11-20-10, 09:58 AM
8/10--mental note--stop rethinking answers!!!!!!!!! grrrrr
Something tells me I've read that post of yours before...

thepossum1
11-21-10, 07:52 AM
Something tells me I've read that post of yours before...

hahaha yeah--those mental notes don't help a d@mn bit, but I keep telling myself to make them

9/10----yup, soccer question got me

NJCaNS
11-21-10, 10:57 PM
I know it's late today but if you haven't played yet and feel inclined (or not) pop over an do the trivia contest today. I happen to be in first (for my one shot a month at a win) and could use the extra points. 8-> Thank you.

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90634

thepossum1
11-22-10, 08:29 AM
Hangs head in shame--5/10 not enough coffee in before attempting quiz

Maxwell
11-22-10, 09:51 AM
That was a slow, but lucky day. Two blind guesses that turned out to be right. And I doubled Possum's score - hopefully, that will help me make up for that day I missed...

Shadowlurker
11-22-10, 10:06 AM
wants to know wtf signing into AIM has to do with science and technology

Maxwell
11-22-10, 10:08 AM
wants to know wtf signing into AIM has to do with science and technology
That's more related to science and technology than broadway musicals are to history... :p

thepossum1
11-23-10, 09:09 AM
hahaha I don't even look at the categories any more--it prejudices me when answering.

Woot--redemption --10/10

Yeah, Maxwell, I think you've more than made up for the missed day :) I didn't even make the top ten yesterday :(( Kudos to all who did! :)

thepossum1
11-24-10, 09:53 AM
And it's a sad day in Mudville---1/10 and I only got that one because I recognized Steve Garvey's name and figured what the hey :P

Slicker
11-24-10, 12:35 PM
And it's a sad day in Mudville---1/10 and I only got that one because I recognized Steve Garvey's name and figured what the hey :P

I got 30% and, since one should only get 25% when randomly guessing, I'm feeling pretty good. Look how fast I answered, too!

Hint: I've found with the baseball quizzes that I shouldn't even bother reading the questions. When in doubt, answer C. :D

NJCaNS
11-25-10, 02:27 AM
I got 30% and, since one should only get 25% when randomly guessing, I'm feeling pretty good. Look how fast I answered, too!

Hint: I've found with the baseball quizzes that I shouldn't even bother reading the questions. When in doubt, answer C. :D
And a very nice plan you had. MonkeySee followed suite and you both placed high over the readers, analyzers and educated guessers

This is why I like this brutal category: low scores, guessing can lead to big points. Anyone with a 3 could have gotten a four and been 1st or 2nd. I went 0 for 7 on guessing.

thepossum1
11-25-10, 08:53 AM
9/10 today don't know squat about saints and guessed wrong.

I suspect the baseball ones are meant to mess with the averages--throw a few 1's or zeros into the high averages and it takes it down a level :P heheh Slicker-- I like your method, going to steal it for the next baseball one

thepossum1
11-26-10, 01:46 PM
7/10, but.....should be 8/10. I want to dispute the one about the "hills are alive with the sound". The correct answer doesn't make a sound--but the answer I chose is a sound connected with it.

Maxwell
11-26-10, 04:41 PM
Today's topic was history?!? I've seen more historical content in the toilet after I stand up...

trigggl
11-26-10, 07:48 PM
I feel my brain draining already. I knew 3 of the answers. I got none of my guesses correct. Since when does mucus make a sound? I need to speed up on my guesses, obviously, especially if I'm going to get them wrong anyways.

thepossum1
11-27-10, 03:06 AM
8/10 again today--ooooh a streak :P

Fire$torm
11-27-10, 03:47 AM
lawrdy, I finally remembered to play! 9/10 - not bad since I know Jack about spades or the houtie toutie refinements of chess.

zombie67
11-27-10, 12:12 PM
Did I win yesterday? With two hours left, I was still in first place. But I can't tell for sure.

Maxwell
11-27-10, 12:27 PM
Did I win yesterday? With two hours left, I was still in first place. But I can't tell for sure.
Yep. That's your second win this month. You can check the "Standings" link at the top of the page for yesterday's scores...

And dear god is that hobbies category ridiculous...

NJCaNS
11-27-10, 12:47 PM
7/10, but.....should be 8/10. I want to dispute the one about the "hills are alive with the sound". The correct answer doesn't make a sound--but the answer I chose is a sound connected with it.The answer was definitely mucous and the sound associated with it is ach-tung. :rolleyes:

zombie67
11-27-10, 02:07 PM
Yep. That's your second win this month. You can check the "Standings" link at the top of the page for yesterday's scores...

And dear god is that hobbies category ridiculous...

So I have to keep track of my wins, and when it goes up by 1, then I know I've won. Do I have that right?

Maxwell
11-27-10, 04:48 PM
So I have to keep track of my wins, and when it goes up by 1, then I know I've won. Do I have that right?
Well yeah. But remember that scores reset at the beginning of each month. On that Standings page, you can see scores for the month, the scores for yesterday, and the daily winners over the last 20 or so days. But if you want anything beyond that, you'll have to keep track of it yourself.

zombie67
11-27-10, 09:50 PM
Well yeah. But remember that scores reset at the beginning of each month. On that Standings page, you can see scores for the month, the scores for yesterday, and the daily winners over the last 20 or so days. But if you want anything beyond that, you'll have to keep track of it yourself.

Oh! There's a standings page. I missed that. And it shows yesterday's results! That's what I was looking for.

Maxwell
11-28-10, 03:11 AM
Oh! There's a standings page. I missed that. And it shows yesterday's results! That's what I was looking for.
Silly zombie67. ;) I was wondering why there was all the confusion... :D

thepossum1
11-28-10, 12:59 PM
Nice going zombie!!

And to Fire$torm for yesterday's win :)

Wish we could see the current day's standings--all it tells is how many have played so far--would be nice to see what those players got, I might try a little harder lol

I still dispute that mucous answer--when you have mucous, you COUGH. :P but then, some other "correct" answers have been weird before--must get into mindset of the quiz writer--have to remember that it's the same deal with categories that don't fit the questions you're presented with hahahahahahaha

9/10 woohooo 3 in row where I didn't tank :P

NJCaNS
11-28-10, 01:04 PM
Wish we could see the current day's standings--all it tells is how many have played so far--would be nice to see what those players got, I might try a little harder lol

It tells your standing for the day immediayely. Either click the line at the end of your results to submit them or go back to the main page and hit refresh.

thepossum1
11-28-10, 01:12 PM
It tells your standing for the day immediayely. Either click the line at the end of your results to submit them or go back to the main page and hit refresh.

BIG DUH on my part--scrolled to the bottom of the page and saw it.I don't normally do that. Thanks :)

thepossum1
11-29-10, 09:39 AM
7/10 today--a popular score. Funny how we seem to do better on a hard tech quiz compared to a hard baseball one hmmmmmmmm :P

NJCaNS
11-30-10, 02:40 AM
A real nail bitter going on for first. :-ss

Is a two point lead enough for thepossum1 to hold on to first and hold off a charging Maxwell? :-?

Will Maxwell punch himself in the nuts for missing one too many days? b-(

Will any one try to adjust their scores to affect the outcome? >:)

Or does only the Shadow know?:-sX_X

Tune in tomorrow.

Maxwell
11-30-10, 02:50 AM
Damn. That is really close.

*punches self in nuts for missing those two days*

@Possum: You are hereby imbued with only only Baseball knowledge, and have hereby forgotten everything you know relating to "General Knowledge". For 24 hours.

@Everyone else: Be sure to beat Possum, but not me tomorrow. Think "Maxwell should win, Possum in last" repeatedly throughout the day...:D

thepossum1
11-30-10, 07:40 AM
OOOOPS did I so that????
Sorry Maxwell 10/10 today. Well you could still beat my time :rolleyes:

I don't understand how someone with 6 wins isn't ahead. Oh maybe it's like NASCAR--doesn't matter whether you win the race, it's the point system. I like straightforward if you win you win not this new math thing......but I'll take it ;P

Shadowlurker
11-30-10, 10:11 AM
As a matter of fact, I do know what evil lurks in the hearts of men. ;)

Slicker
11-30-10, 12:19 PM
Knew all 10. Clicked the wrong button and only got 9. Doh!

Maxwell
11-30-10, 04:29 PM
You know what's funny? That mistake might cause me to lose this month (let's ignore the fact I missed two days for now... ;) ). You had a faster time than Possum, and if you answered that one correctly, there would be a three-point difference between her and me today, which is exactly the number I'm behind... 8-x

Maxwell
11-30-10, 04:30 PM
OOOOPS did I so that????
Sorry Maxwell 10/10 today. Well you could still beat my time :rolleyes:

I don't understand how someone with 6 wins isn't ahead. Oh maybe it's like NASCAR--doesn't matter whether you win the race, it's the point system. I like straightforward if you win you win not this new math thing......but I'll take it ;P
Damn you! ;)

I need one more person to get all 10 faster than you, but slower than me, and I think I can tie you...

Maxwell
11-30-10, 11:07 PM

You know what's funny? That mistake might cause me to lose this month (let's ignore the fact I missed two days for now... ;) ). You had a faster time than Possum, and if you answered that one correctly, there would be a three-point difference between her and me today, which is exactly the number I'm behind... 8-x
You are officially forgiven, Slicker. Back to my regularly scheduled trash talk... :cool:

In dramatic come from behind fashion (thanks to several people who beat Possum's time, but didn't beat mine), it looks like I'm going to take this month's battle. :-bd

Game on next month!>:/

NJCaNS
12-01-10, 01:54 AM
Congrats Maxwell. But that wasn't a nice way to treat a lady. I mean taking her from behind like that. :)

Two new categories. Any real reason to change any of the others? Except for Hobbies. That one has to stay.

Maxwell
12-01-10, 02:24 AM
Congrats Maxwell. But that wasn't a nice way to treat a lady. I mean taking her from behind like that. :)
Well, she's been on top most of the month, so I didn't have much choice... :cool:

My only request is to have a history category that is related to history instead of Norse mythology and Broadway Musicals. Other than that, I like having hard categories. This month was fun!

But despite what you said, that Hobbies category can certainly go away...*-:)

thepossum1
12-01-10, 08:07 AM

hahahahahahaha Congrats Maxwell :)

4/10--prospects for this month lookin' pretty good for you too :P

Slicker
12-01-10, 09:12 AM
Sports: DifficultI got 3 points.

Sports: EasierI got 7 points.

Not I'm waiting for the topic:

Sports: The answers are in bold face and a larger font and already selected. Just click submit.

NJCaNS
12-02-10, 02:04 AM
Well, she's been on top most of the month, so I didn't have much choice... :cool:

My only request is to have a history category that is related to history instead of Norse mythology and Broadway Musicals. Other than that, I like having hard categories. This month was fun!

But despite what you said, that Hobbies category can certainly go away...*-:)

You missed my point. I'm keeping Hobbies around, just for (because of) you. I mean your love for it. >:)

p.s. Norse gods and Broadway show tunes ARE history.

Maxwell
12-02-10, 02:47 AM
p.s. Norse gods and Broadway show tunes ARE history.
Stoopid history...

And yeah - Day 1, and I'm already behind. Long day...
/me kicks self in the nuts...

trigggl
12-02-10, 07:15 AM
I gotta learn to be wrong more quickly.

thepossum1
12-02-10, 08:28 AM
Today's quiz seemed like I'd taken it before. Hey, there's the ticket--same quizzes every month till we nail them :P

10/10 Nice time there DrBob you're the man to beat :)

Long day, tired--no excuse Maxwell--kick yourself again lol

thepossum1
12-03-10, 08:20 AM
And that was a fast moving zombie that pulled up yesterday :P nice time

8/10 whew guess sometimes changing answer--after re-reading the WHOLE question does make a difference.

NJCaNS
12-03-10, 09:28 AM
Stoopid history...I'm sure they think/feel the same about you. :D But history none the less.

thepossum1
12-04-10, 08:52 AM
9/10 ack can't believe I missed a FOOD question!!! New mental note--read the damned question all the way through

thepossum1
12-05-10, 07:36 AM
7/10 :rolleyes: no comment this was a crip quiz :P I suck today

thepossum1
12-08-10, 08:18 AM
6/10, but since it was sports.............

trigggl
12-11-10, 03:17 PM
I batted about 500 with my guesses today.

thepossum1
12-12-10, 08:51 AM
9/10 reminding self--READ the question, don't skim

trigggl
12-15-10, 07:18 AM
It's a dirty job, but someone needs to hold last place. X_X

Slicker
12-15-10, 08:49 AM
My best useless sports info score yet!

NJCaNS
12-21-10, 01:05 AM
Looks like a real battle developing for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th with Maxwell "can't remember to play every day" Duece as the spoiler/wildcard. :)

Maxwell
12-21-10, 01:56 AM
Looks like a real battle developing for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th with Maxwell "can't remember to play every day" Duece as the spoiler/wildcard. :)
I did really well the first few months, but lately I haven't been at my computer every day, so my routine changes...

NJCaNS
12-31-10, 03:29 AM
Almost a new month. Where do we want to go next? :-?

Now for something completely different. And you are not going to like this one:

LET's GO INTERNATIONAL!!! >:)

Maxwell
01-08-11, 10:40 AM
And you are not going to like this one: LET's GO INTERNATIONAL!!! >:)
I've been away, and just got back to this contest. And I just noticed what the categories are. Allow me to say what I suspect others are feeling:

WTF, NJ? ;)

NJCaNS
01-09-11, 01:58 AM
I've been away, and just got back to this contest. And I just noticed what the categories are. Allow me to say what I suspect others are feeling:

WTF, NJ? ;)=)) Thank you. You've made my month.

I feel a great sense of self accomplishment. :-bd

Maxwell
01-10-11, 03:54 PM
=)) Thank you. You've made my month.

I feel a great sense of self accomplishment. :-bd
Unintended consequence: I'm now going to hate different sections of the world Monday - Saturday.

NJCaNS
01-17-11, 11:43 PM
Bump and comment.

Was hoping to Fosters :) a better appreciation of other countries this month with international trivia questions but I don't think that's being accomplished. Though we are getting a little shake up in who is able to earn a win. I must say though, you are a game bunch for hanging in and taking your shots.

So tell me, was the baseball difficult questions worse than these other sports questions? Worse that the history of musical theatre?

Maxwell
01-18-11, 12:19 AM
I like the theory of the quizzes on other countries. But if baseball trivia is bad, obscure cricket trivia from decades ago in a foreign land is worse. A quiz about England or whatnot is great, but bleh to sports...

trigggl
01-18-11, 12:25 AM
Bump and comment.

Was hoping to Fosters...
Fosters...you mean Canadian for Beer? Check out the bottle sometime. It's imported from Canada. Put that on a quiz.

NJCaNS
01-31-11, 12:56 AM
A new trivia month begins in a few days. All I can say is it won't be all international trivia. I think everyone was humbled a bit in January. Keep that in mind when you complain about not likeing American sports or baseball trivia.

While we did spread out the wins a bit, Shadow still wound up with a third of them and the same names generally keep appearing at the top and some just read too darn fast.

The real sucess story is Maxwell getting pissed off and barely getting one win.

The real question at hand though is would you mind if I invited two non-team members into the quiz? They're trivia aquantices from a defunct myminicity board. Joker probably knows/heard of them. One does crunch on behalf of a friend of his for MW and for us. The other is a nice lady (could keep possum company) from the midwest. The real bad news is both tend to beat me and their times generally are good. They play most days too.

The trivia game here is for building team comradery(SP) so this is technically a violation of the intent and could open a door that can't be closed. So if someone who plays is against it then I won't tell them the site. But if there is support for inviting just these two for now then I will let them know.

p.s. I did try to get them to join SUSA but I think it was too confusing or not their cup of tea (at least not yet).

Maxwell
01-31-11, 08:44 AM
The real sucess story is Maxwell getting pissed off and barely getting one win.

The real question at hand though is would you mind if I invited two non-team members into the quiz?
Hehe... Screw you, NJ. ;) And that one win was sheer blind luck. Ugh...

And I'm cool with inviting others...

NJCaNS
01-31-11, 10:52 PM
Hehe... Screw you, NJ. ;) And that one win was sheer blind luck. Ugh... LOL Aren't they all for you? :>

Maxwell
01-31-11, 10:58 PM
LOL Aren't they all for you? :>
I'm going to stomp you this month. Possum and He-who-lurks-in-shadows, I make no guarantees. But you, NJ, I shall stomp... ;)

Shadowlurker
02-01-11, 11:30 PM
And I'm cool with inviting others...

Max isn't particular about who whips his ass

Maxwell
02-01-11, 11:32 PM
Max isn't particular about who whips his ass
Pretty much. The way I've been playing lately, it's most everyone... :mad:

Shadowlurker
02-01-11, 11:41 PM
Pretty much. The way I've been playing lately, it's most everyone... :mad:

When are you gonna be back in the cities, we can go play bar trivia til we fall off our stools >:/

Maxwell
02-01-11, 11:50 PM
When are you gonna be back in the cities, we can go play bar trivia til we fall off our stools >:/
In a couple months, methinks. Then again early summer if all goes well. That would be awesome...

Maxwell
03-01-11, 02:51 AM
Ok. Haven't played yet, but did see the categories this month. Thank you, NJ, for not making me guess at what random Polish/Spanish/French/German/Latin/etc. phrases mean quite so frequently... =D>

NJCaNS
03-02-11, 10:13 AM
I'm going to stomp you this month. Possum and He-who-lurks-in-shadows, I make no guarantees. But you, NJ, I shall stomp... ;)Just saw this post now. Were you talking about 2/2011? February? Maybe I have the year wrong?L-)

:D

Maxwell
03-02-11, 11:08 AM
Just saw this post now. Were you talking about 2/2011? February? Maybe I have the year wrong?L-)

:D
Yeah, but in my defense, I'm not a linguist. The few times I won a day last month were all flukes of the "stars aligned and I guessed well" variety.

Maxwell
03-13-11, 11:56 PM
Quick bump...

I don't want this to fall off people's radar. It's fun and quick. Still going on, and we have a heck of a battle this month...

NJCaNS
03-20-11, 09:37 PM
Bump. Race is a hot one this month. http://www.funtrivia.com/private/logout.cfm?tid=90634

OK OK. My real reason to post today is to report that ten people have played so far today and each gets ten questions. That's 100 questions total so far. And there has only been ONE wrong answer so far. Talk about pressure, try playing today.

I don't want to say anything about the person who has the ONE wrong answer. And a lame excuse for it. :) Not because I'm a nice guy (though I amo:-)) but mostly because I don't know where to start!! >:) The mind boogles :-o at the possibilities. :D

Maxwell
03-20-11, 10:19 PM
I don't want to say anything about the person who has the ONE wrong answer. And a lame excuse for it. :) Not because I'm a nice guy (though I amo:-)) but mostly because I don't know where to start!! >:) The mind boogles :-o at the possibilities. :D
I. Hate. You. So. Much. Right. Now. :((

EDIT: I should also point out that had I not hit the wrong button, I would be tied for the lead, and own the tiebreaker since I completed it earlier. Yet another reason to punch myself in the nuts...

NJCaNS
04-01-11, 10:31 PM
New month. New competition. Come join us. Fun to be had by all. If you can't win then keep some one else from winning. :)

March 2011 results.

SL's domination threatened. Animals fight for 3rd. Some unnamed rule saves my a$$.
Three people get almost half the month's wins and 4 wins in the last week came from the same IP address.

1. Shadowlurker (273 points, 5 wins)
2. cometii (270 points, 4 wins)
3. thepossum1 (248 points, 2 wins)
4. MonkeySee (247 points, 5 wins)
5. NJCaNS (244 points, 2 wins)
6. MaxwellDeux (244 points, 1 wins)
7. bumby (217 points, 2 wins)
8. AndyKorth (212 points, 5 wins)

NJCaNS
05-02-11, 11:14 PM
New month. New competition. Come join us. Fun to be had by all. If you can't win then keep some one else from winning. :)

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90634 (http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90634)

April 2011 results.

SL's domination threatened again. It was a lot closer than it looked with SL only pulling it out in the last few days.
Not sure why I got 3rd. Maybe it was the $5 left on the table in room 3095?
Cometii's last day win pays dividends.

1. Shadowlurker (244 points, 5 wins)
2. MaxwellDeux (236 points, 6 wins)
3. NJCaNS (219 points, 3 wins)
4. thepossum1 (219 points, 3 wins)
5. cometii (206 points, 2 wins)
6. bumby (201 points, 5 wins)
7. zombie67 (200 points, 2 wins)

May's starting off well with three people beating MaxwellDeux's 10 right in 54 seconds effort which is usually good for a win.

Maxwell
05-03-11, 12:00 AM
Ok. I have several rebuttal points...

1. Screw you, NJ.
2. Last month would have been a lot closer had I played every day.
3. Randomly showing up borderline comatose is not conducive to winning.
4. Screw you, NJ.
5. More people should play. Especially if you are a baseball expert.
6. Trash talk is fun...

NJCaNS
05-03-11, 12:25 AM
Ok. I have several rebuttal points...

1. Screw you, NJ.
2. Last month would have been a lot closer had I played every day.
3. Randomly showing up borderline comatose is not conducive to winning.
4. Screw you, NJ.
5. More people should play. Especially if you are a baseball expert.
6. Trash talk is fun... But obviously it's condusive to whinning.
Do you really need to be a "baseball expert" to know one can only win rookie of the year once in a career?
These are the easiest baseball questions. Half the answers are the Yankees or Babe Ruth. DUH!!
:rolleyes:

joker
05-03-11, 12:28 AM
I fart in Max's general direction!

Maxwell
05-03-11, 02:08 AM
I fart in Max's general direction!
And yet you aren't man enough (or are too French) to come play daily...

joker
05-03-11, 02:30 AM
nd yet you aren't man enough (or are too French) to come play daily...

Voulez vous coucher avec moi??

Fire$torm
05-03-11, 02:50 AM

oui oui Monsieur.

Maxwell
05-03-11, 02:51 AM
You need to buy me several drinks before I consent to go to bed with you. Your mom said so. ;)

joker
05-03-11, 03:17 AM
You need to buy me several drinks before I consent to go to bed with you. Your mom said so.

http://www.tequila.net/images/stories/jreviews/123_patron_bottles_1169924532.jpg

A good start??

Maxwell
05-03-11, 10:04 AM
A good start??
Yes. After those three, you'd probably get the same response from me that you got from F$...

NJCaNS
08-01-11, 12:46 AM
Bumping since no one has posted here for almost 3 months.

Tomorrow begins a new round of trivia. Congrats to Maxwell and thepussum1 for finally breaking the lock ShadowLurker had on the #1 spot. But SL is threatening to be back with a vengeance this month as we apparently go to easy/simple questions where speed will could decide the winner (not just brains).

Come out and check it out. http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90634

Fire$torm
08-01-11, 01:51 AM
Ack, I'm at the bottom of the pile...........

thepossum1
08-02-11, 02:01 PM
Bumping since no one has posted here for almost 3 months.

Tomorrow begins a new round of trivia. Congrats to Maxwell and thepussum1 for finally breaking the lock ShadowLurker had on the #1 spot. But SL is threatening to be back with a vengeance this month as we apparently go to easy/simple questions where speed will could decide the winner (not just brains).

Come out and check it out. http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90634

hehe thanks for the chuckle--pussum, hehehehe Yeah, c'mon people--if I can tie Shadowlurker on time today, SOMEbody can beat his time!!!!

Mr. Hankey
08-02-11, 02:45 PM
hehe thanks for the chuckle--pussum, hehehehe Yeah, c'mon people--if I can tie Shadowlurker on time today, SOMEbody can beat his time!!!!

I tried.... but I missed one.

Shadowlurker
08-03-11, 06:04 PM
Must quit doing quiz at work, laptop to too slow.

NJCaNS
09-04-11, 11:56 PM
Just bumping this post back to the land of active.

http://www.funtrivia.com/tournament/CCS-Brain-Drain-90634.html

This month appears to be a another speed month of easier questions. Come check it out.

Looks like we finally broke Shadowlurkers's impressive streak of wins. SL wants to get back to the top but others are trying to move in and leave their mark. Three different winners in the last 3 months and I believe the last two were ladies.

Come see if you can play spoiler, met a personal goal or compete directly with your favorite SUSA team mate.

Slicker
01-29-12, 02:29 AM
bump....

Let's get some nedw people involved in the daily trivia challenges:

GalaxyIce
01-29-12, 04:48 AM
bump....

Let's get some nedw people involved in the daily trivia challenges:

I joined up today, managed to get 10/10 in my first attempt http://www.brilliantsite.com/smile/dance.gif

Slicker
01-29-12, 06:36 PM
I joined up today, managed to get 10/10 in my first attempt http://www.brilliantsite.com/smile/dance.gif

Congrats, although I have to admit I was really hoping some trivia challenged people would join so I wouldn't be at the bottom every day. :-w

GalaxyIce
01-29-12, 07:17 PM
Congrats, although I have to admit I was really hoping some trivia challenged people would join so I wouldn't be at the bottom every day. :-w

Don't worry, I can be bottom real easy.

Mike029
01-29-12, 08:55 PM
Don't worry, I can be bottom real easy.
lol, not with me around. :)

zombie67
01-30-12, 09:16 PM
I've never seen it rank #correct out of order. Up until now, it was by #correct, then shortest time.

artemis8
01-31-12, 12:41 AM
I'm a good guesser, fastest time, decent guesses with 9/10 :D

NJCaNS
04-01-12, 10:49 PM
Congrats Cometii for his first trivia win in SETI.USA Brain Drain.

Come join the fun and embarrassment with your SUSA team mates.

http://www.funtrivia.com/tournament/CCS-Brain-Drain-90634.html

coronicus
04-02-12, 01:14 AM
Oh no X_X Then you will find out how smart :-B I am :^o #-o not

Duke of Buckingham
04-02-12, 04:46 AM
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsk94kdSjX1r2wxwko1_400.jpg

:confused: corinicus :o) We could both start the D`OH Team For the world and surroundings.

A very nice Team with no crunching after 3 months we say D`OH we forget to connect the computers to the electric power.

http://whinesisters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/8e634c2b_homer-doh.jpg

We are going to plug it right now :rolleyes:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZI9ZC-oL5KQ/SdYcBRoys9I/AAAAAAAAEgY/GKFJSKs7-LQ/s400/vilcus_plug.jpg

invisy
05-06-12, 01:08 PM
. invisy + 2 pts 10! 153 847 <:-P

Slicker
09-12-12, 10:04 PM
...bump Need some new blood in the daily challenges.

zombie67
09-12-12, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I'm not much of a challenge lately.

Fire$torm
09-13-12, 11:45 AM
...bump Need some new blood in the daily challenges.

.....OK