PDA

View Full Version : Work

joker
05-22-11, 08:54 PM
Holy POOP!!! I am actually running WUs right now!!!

Fire$torm
05-22-11, 08:58 PM
Holy POOP!!! I am actually running WUs right now!!!

Damn!!!! You beat me to it :(

joker
05-22-11, 09:01 PM
Damn!!!! You beat me to it

I am quick like a bunny.........oh.........wait.............that is not what it sounds like!!

Fire$torm
05-22-11, 09:03 PM
I am quick like a bunny.........oh.........wait.............that is not what it sounds like!!

That's EXACTLY what it sounds like........

Maxwell
05-22-11, 09:10 PM
Time for a 5M MM! And, time to fire up those VMs again...

joker
05-22-11, 09:30 PM
I know it has been awhile since there was freehal work and perhaps I dont remember things as well as I used to but didnt freehal used to be a non CPU intensive project? I thought it used mostly memory.

For every WU I am now running, it seems to take an entire CPU to run it.

Dandasarge
05-22-11, 09:32 PM
I know it has been awhile since there was freehal work and perhaps I dont remember things as well as I used to but didnt freehal used to be a non CPU intensive project? I thought it used mostly memory.

For every WU I am now running, it takes an entire CPU to run it.

Mine is using .01 CPU and 64k ram

Maxwell
05-22-11, 09:35 PM

For every WU I am now running, it seems to take an entire CPU to run it.
Check your settings - there are CPU intensive options, non-CPU intensive options, as well as how many WUs you want to download, etc.

I'm running Non-CPU intensive, 1/core, and it is using very little CPU.

Duke of Buckingham
05-22-11, 09:39 PM
Something very strange is happening I am running 5 Wus at the same time all at 100% and I have only 2 cores.

Duke

joker
05-22-11, 09:41 PM
Thx Max. I will look into it.

-GER-
05-22-11, 09:42 PM
Near the end Freehal added options to run NCI or CI...check your settings on their website. WOOT Freehal is back up! :-bd\:D/<:-P

DrPop
05-22-11, 10:01 PM
I see he now has options for 1 WU per host, 1 WU per core ... any idea what the performance hit would be if we went 1 non intensive Wu per core instead of per host?

Duke of Buckingham
05-22-11, 10:11 PM
Ok so it is that, I have 2 cores and I am running 2 Freehall 1 WUProp 1 einstein and 1 primegrid and I have still memory not used. using only half of my memory. I attached a video with the image on the TeaM forum. Sorry I dont know how to do it here. Each core is 2.8 GHz. You can look in there.

Duke

Maxwell
05-22-11, 10:35 PM
I see he now has options for 1 WU per host, 1 WU per core ... any idea what the performance hit would be if we went 1 non intensive Wu per core instead of per host?
Minimal, and more credit overall. Those 1 NCI WU/core was what I ran before and am running now.

joker
05-22-11, 10:39 PM
Thx again Max. That did it.

Maxwell
05-22-11, 10:42 PM
Thx again Max. That did it.
Yay! :o

joker
05-22-11, 10:48 PM
Yay!

Is this the part where I have to call you a god? X_X

trigggl
05-22-11, 10:49 PM

It used to be about 30 Megs a task. We used to be able to run 25 or so on a host, so it's not much impact at all to run one per core. The twins should be doing 4 a piece soon.

As for me, I've been sitting at 998k for the longest and am very ready to push that past 1M.

Maxwell
05-23-11, 02:28 AM
And, it's down at the moment. Be patient, and I'm sure FreeHAL will love us all once more.

Steve Bohlen
05-23-11, 07:20 AM
Nice! Been waiting for some work, but had detached on all machines as I thought it wouldn't be until June. One of my favorite project ideas for sure.

Mike029
05-23-11, 09:05 AM
Time for a 5M MM! And, time to fire up those VMs again...

I got to figure out how to run VM's.

Duke of Buckingham
05-23-11, 10:29 AM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720348%28WS.10%29.aspx

Duke

Fire$torm
05-23-11, 01:07 PM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720348%28WS.10%29.aspx

Duke

Although the M$ product works I would really suggest you take a look at VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) by Oracle/Sun Microsystems.

Note: FreeHal may still have a restriction on the number of VMs allowed per machine. IIRC it was limited to 2 VMs per physical system.

Fogle
05-23-11, 02:22 PM
Looks like FreeHal site is down I can't upload completed WU's or hit their site. >:P
Let's hope it up soon.

Steve Bohlen
05-23-11, 04:12 PM
It's up now. I just got some WUs for each cruncher.

In case it is not obvious...if you choose 'cpu intensive, one per core' in your preferences, FreeHal will share each core with another running project instead of using that core for only FreeHal. This will allow you to run 2 WUs per core. This may be your preference or maybe not. It may not be a 50/50 split on core resources. I can't remember if it was this way before the project went on hiatus or not.

denim
05-23-11, 05:40 PM
Back for me. :)

Duke of Buckingham
05-23-11, 05:47 PM
Although the M$ product works I would really suggest you take a look at VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) by Oracle/Sun Microsystems.

Note: FreeHal may still have a restriction on the number of VMs allowed per machine. IIRC it was limited to 2 VMs per physical system.

I never tried but maybe cc_config if you edit the file and change ncpus for the double CPUs you have, maybe you could double your FreeHall tasks.

Duke

Maxwell
05-23-11, 05:55 PM
I never tried but maybe cc_config if you edit the file and change ncpus for the double CPUs you have, maybe you could double your FreeHall tasks.

Duke
That might work in a VM when you are not crunching anything else on the CPU, but it would screw things up for normal crunching, trying to run multiple WUs at once on the same thread.

Duke of Buckingham
05-23-11, 06:09 PM
That might work in a VM when you are not crunching anything else on the CPU, but it would screw things up for normal crunching, trying to run multiple WUs at once on the same thread.

You have not memory enough or the system doesnt recognize the memory you have. I had that problem in my system, the system didnt recognize the onboard AMD memory.