PDA

View Full Version : FreeHAL: There are tasks available again

zombie67
05-23-11, 06:45 PM
I completely missed the other thread, because I didn't realize it was about FreeHAL. Since I may not be the only idiot around here with that problem, I stated another thread with a more obvious subject line.

joker
05-23-11, 06:47 PM
Hey, Ive dont it! :p

Duke of Buckingham
05-23-11, 06:53 PM
someone called me

http://comps.fotosearch.com/compb/IMP/IMP203/donkey_~RA100383.jpg

joker
05-23-11, 06:57 PM
I told you never to post that picture of me DB!!!

Duke of Buckingham
05-23-11, 07:02 PM
I told you never to post that picture of me DB!!!

Sorry we are so seemed

http://www.putyourpetonline.com/pet_photos/1242577243.jpg

joker
05-28-11, 10:14 PM
Seems to be no work from the project today.

Fire$torm
05-28-11, 10:49 PM
I currently have FH work.

joker
05-28-11, 11:06 PM
Strange. I have 3 rigs on it and every time I hit the update on any one of them, it just says "No work sent". All 3 had been running FH just fine since it came back up. Have changed nothing.

Bryan
05-29-11, 12:40 AM
It seems to come and go ... 2 rigs with some work and 2 without any.

Steve Bohlen
05-29-11, 10:28 AM
Strange. I have 3 rigs on it and every time I hit the update on any one of them, it just says "No work sent". All 3 had been running FH just fine since it came back up. Have changed nothing.

Same here. Wish I could get some WUs. I was on a roll there for a bit.

c303a
05-29-11, 10:37 AM
I just got work again.

zombie67
05-29-11, 02:59 PM
I try to think of FreeHAL like this: If I am not getting any work, then no one else is. No harm, no foul. Any tasks that I get, I am pleasantly surprised. Any credits that show up in my stats are pure upside.

denim
05-29-11, 03:57 PM
It has been inconsistent for me too.

Steve Bohlen
05-29-11, 10:36 PM
I try to think of FreeHAL like this: If I am not getting any work, then no one else is. No harm, no foul. Any tasks that I get, I am pleasantly surprised. Any credits that show up in my stats are pure upside.

Good advice. Outlook officially changed. :)

It was pretty nice for a few days though...consistent work all the way.

krackedpress
06-24-11, 10:58 AM

Well I finally got some myself.

I have set the system to deal with 2 cores and not much for cpu usage. I run too much other projects to give up a full core for processing it. I do not mind the low credits for it.

I wonder how much it really is going to give me compared to what use to be?:-s

The 2 core option is nice. Now I can run 2 low cpu tasks for FreeHAL, and the WUProp@Home one as well. I have one more core available for the low CPU usage projects on my 4 core desktop, which is the only one now running BOINC. When I get my old AMD 64 laptop back from a loan out, I may start using it again for BOINC crunching.

Steve Bohlen
06-24-11, 03:52 PM
I have set the system to deal with 2 cores and not much for cpu usage. I run too much other projects to give up a full core for processing it.

With the recent FreeHAL changes, you can actually run a CI WU on the same core as a WU from another project. At times, I'll run 4 HAL CI WUs and 4 Einstein WUs on a 4 core (2 hyper-threaded physical CPUs) box at the same time. Granted, the HAL and Einstein WUs split each processor time 50/50 which slows down the completion of Einstein WUs, but the HAL WUs are unaffected and still complete in 1hr (just like a HAL CI WU that uses 100% of the CPU). That allows me to keep crunching another project on all cores while taking advantage of the excellent FreeHAL CI credits.

Mike029
07-17-11, 09:35 PM
Got some work today.

denim
07-17-11, 09:53 PM
After a week of hitting update, I got some.

c303a
07-30-11, 02:10 PM
Looks like Freehal may be down for the count. I haven't been able to send or receive wu's for many days now and have 4 that are now expired. The website says they are up and running but I have big doubts.
From the site:

Donations needed per month 90 €
Money in the project's account (July 2011) 0 €

Fire$torm
07-30-11, 03:29 PM
I think in this case the cart is before the horse. Kinda hard to get people to donate to a project that doesn't stay up! If Tobias gets his project in order and keeps it stable then the donations might pick up.

Cruncher Pete
07-30-11, 07:54 PM
You know, it was not that long ago when the world Volunteering meant doing something from your own volition generally helping others in some way without expecting payment for it. It seem to me that projects like FreeHAL are now saying that unless you pay for my equipment I will close down. Is this the way to thank Volunteers for their time and personal cost to help a project?. If this project comes to fruition, it is possible that he will make a fortune out of it. I wonder if he will share that with us? I bet not...

Mike029
07-30-11, 09:38 PM
@CP +1

Bryan
07-30-11, 09:56 PM
I wonder if I send him my Paypal account info if he will help with my power bill :))

Beerdrinker
07-31-11, 01:11 AM
You know, it was not that long ago when the world Volunteering meant doing something from your own volition generally helping others in some way without expecting payment for it. It seem to me that projects like FreeHAL are now saying that unless you pay for my equipment I will close down. Is this the way to thank Volunteers for their time and personal cost to help a project?. If this project comes to fruition, it is possible that he will make a fortune out of it. I wonder if he will share that with us? I bet not...

I second that also..!

spingadus
07-31-11, 06:22 PM
I just got new tasks.

Fire$torm
07-31-11, 08:40 PM
Thx for the heads up!

denim
07-31-11, 09:58 PM
Same, GO GO GO people!