PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo has 6.12.26

trigggl
05-29-11, 09:12 AM
I said I'd upgrade boinc when Gentoo told me to. It's telling me.

I'm now upgrading boinc on 6 computers at once. So, there'll be a slight drop in Primegrid and Primaboinca production for a short while. It comes with a new glibc version so that will take a while to compile on the ppc64s that Primaboinca "run" on.

YoDude9999
05-29-11, 11:42 AM
Good luck! See ya when ya get back!

Yo-

trigggl
05-29-11, 11:26 PM
Good luck! See ya when ya get back!
So far so good, with one very annoying change.

This doesn't matter to most people, but if you wrote any type of scripts for yourself, prepare to re-write them.

boinccmd --get_results
becomes
boinccmd --get_tasks

and

boinccmd --result
becomes
boinccmd --task

All of my scripts have to be fixed.

joker
05-30-11, 12:31 AM
This doesn't matter to most people, but if you wrote any type of scripts for yourself, prepare to re-write them.

I wrote a script once......the first part was about an Alien (from the movie Alien) going to the dentist. And the second part was a Predator (again, from the movie) trying to drive a GEO Metro with an automatic transmission. I can't believe it never caught on in Hollywood!! :-o:-o:-??>:P

Zytozux
05-30-11, 03:16 AM
Yeah does that glibc package effect how boinc runs on linux? My ps3 always seems to quit crunching after a while. The yellow dog package manager was telling me my glibc needed to be updated, do you think that might fix my problems trigggl?

trigggl
05-30-11, 10:18 AM
Yeah does that glibc package effect how boinc runs on linux? My ps3 always seems to quit crunching after a while. The yellow dog package manager was telling me my glibc needed to be updated, do you think that might fix my problems trigggl?
The app for wuprop uses 'libc.so.6', so, unless you upgrade your glibc, you'll never run wuprop. Efforts to compile the app with the old glibc were unsuccessful. glibc is a very major component of the OS. If Yellow Dog is telling you to upgrade now, if you wait too long, your system could become un-updatable. That's the problem with the Gentoo PS3 LiveCD. If you install it, it's too old to update because it's still using the old glibc. At this point it's only useful for booting.

With the latest glibc update libc.so is still at libc.so.6. Most projects that support the PS3 have static apps, so upgrading shouldn't hurt, but can help. It's the dynamic apps that will hurt you and nobody is going to be creating dynamic apps with libc.so.5 anymore.